• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for help on Distance Drivers

My Z forces are about as stable or in some cases less stable than my Z preds. The good domey ones are pretty much a longer Z pred.

mzuleger said:
SkaBob said:
...the Predator in every plastic it's currently made in is incredibly MORE than "slightly overstable". I have no idea why he said it's "slightly" overstable, but it's not. It's the most overstable disc Discraft makes. Even most bigger arms only use it for short dogleg shots and strong headwinds.

My Z forces are a lot more overstable than my Z pred... I wouldn't say "It's the most overstable disc Discraft makes"... at least not in my experience anyway.

I agree with bob on this one. A Predator that is not overstable is a fluke. As far as the Force goes, it may seem more overstable if thrown 40mph because it is much faster (speed stable). However, at 70mph+ it is clear that the Pred is more truly overstable.

I dunno how far you guys are throwing, but at the distances I throw the Z Force is more like a long, high speed Avenger if it's like another disc...but really it doesn't fly like anything else Discraft really makes. MAAAAYBE a really long, really overstable Surge...

At any rate, at my altitude, when I get it up to speed it's just barely within it's HSS limits, and into a 10-15mph headwind I might get a little bit of turn from it, but I can be sure it'll come back.

In a 40mph headwind, I don't get any flip from any predator I've thrown other than the X ones, which aren't even made anymore. I get 200-250'ish and then it dives left.

Hehe, I just thought everyone was just telling him the the Preds were overstable, which is where the disc needed to be used instead of for a distance driver. Guess it's hard to understand that when you already know what it's used for instead pointing out specificly what it's for. That's more the reason why I said the Pred was good. It has it's uses even for someone like him I'd think, I threw one when i was only barely throwing 300'.
Just knowing what each disc is used for is key in this conversation I think.

I'd say if Risk got him on track with the Avenger and XL then he's good to go now. But, I know most people don't know what to use each disc for when they first start. And I think that's the biggest key when learning to play the game. Disc have roles they're better at than others. Guess we all went about this a different way, but it might be better to point out sometimes what a disc's general purpose should be instead of just saying, "Yeah, it's an awesome disc."

First off, I want to thank everyone who has giving me points to think about.. I've gone through my bag and thinned out some discs that really had no purpose being in there. I think some of the last points in this thread made were the most correct -- Still being new to the sport, I don't understand the flight characteristics of all disks. I know my original question was pretty general so I appreciate everyone helping me out with information.

The reason I posted this in the first place was to try to find a disc I can grow into that will increase my distance.. like Risk said, I can throw my Z Avenger pretty consistently but I'm just looking to push it a bit further. I know I have a lot of work to do with form (being that I'm new still). I thought I'd post the discs that I generally use, and see if people have some thought on now to improve that too. I figure some out there will bust my balls, but oh well. I'm sure some of these discs aren't really to my skill level, but it's what I have. I'm a right handed, backhand thrower.

If I need to go left - ESP Nuke / Z Avenger / Star Boss
Straight - Z Stalker / Star TL
Right - Lat64 Vision
---
ESP/FLX Buzz and Cryztal Buzzz for straight midrange
FLX Drone for overstable midrange
Soft Wizard and a beat in Aviar for upshots
---
Omega Supersoft for putts.

Any thoughts?

Pretty decent start. The Nuke would be something you'd grow into for distance! Just check te Nuke thread. :p

but, I'm pretty sure most here will tell that is a good start at a bag since you seem to understand those disc well enough.
Just food for thought, the TL can do so much more than a straight shot. This is where you'll hear the term shaping lines. These disc lie right on the verge of stable and understable and when you kind of learn to "throw the shot" instead of throwing the disc. You'll start to see these disc can do a lot. This disc can cover a multitude of stabilites and this is where the disc minimalism comes into play. You'll actually do this on your own eventually once you really learn how certain disc fly after you get a solid consistent form. You'll weed out those disc you don't like forthe ones you do that does the same thing as another disc you carry. This is where you'll want to look at the versatility of each disc, it's ability to fly multiple lines vs one that doesn't. But, having an Idea of how to shape lines gives you an advantage when first starting out and can save you time and money investing in loads of plastic to try. But, we all usually end up buy boat loads just to try it anyway. That's the fun part a lot of times!

Bottom line is that it can be overwhelming and a lot of the stuff we tell you will make some sense, then you'll forget then you'll see it later or you'll remember and something will click. Just simply have fun though, go at your own pace. It can take a long time. Just be sure and have fun, and the frustrations won't seem so hard to overcome. But, will be gratifying when you do!

So, I recently went to a disc golf store near my house to check out some of the discs that everyone has been recomending to me in this thread.. and I picked up 2 star teebirds and a champ teebird.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I am consistantly driving 325 - 375 feet no problem now. I am slowly breaking in the 166gram disc and I'm keeping it straight, my 175g won't flip so it stays nice and straight and then hyzers pretty smoothly for me.

I'm sure everyone reading this is rolling their eyes and thinking "well duh, that's what the frickin' Teebird does.. thanks for the update" but I want to say thanks to everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I've cut 3-4 strokes off of my game on average already, and I'm only going to get better from here.

Congratulations, it feels nice when you know you're heading in the right direction at least, lol!

Latest posts