• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lost part of my digit what now?

agentdozzer

Eagle Member
I had a bad swing with a hatchet and will be loosing the top of my pointer finger on my throwing hand. Any body else dealt with this? I use a straight power grip, I will probally have to switch to a fan grip, at least I hope that's all I need. It's going to be a long winter and spring. I just bought lights and only got to use them once. Playing leftie for a few months isn't killing me to much just the thought I may not be able to play the way I was ever again.

I like how you chop the tip off of your finger off and worry about your disc golf grip. (Or are you a touring pro?)

Just modify the power grip, utilizing the middle finger.

It grows back. (assuming it does not get a massive infection requiring removal of the distal phalanx)

Quit smoking if you smoke now for improved healing time and results.

/nurse

That extra piece of finger has been holding you back all this time. You will be driving 500 feet when you get better!

Well its just the tip of my finger and the only thing I can see it affecting is my golf game. Not much else to worry about at this point.

One of the best players I ever played with whacked his hand in half on a table saw. He still had his pointer and middle, but no ring or pinky.

Getting proficient with a lefty while you get your right healed may be a bonus in disguise.

Did you also cut off bone? Or is it just skin and tissue? Has your injury required you to see a surgeon (hand surgeon)?

No bone damage, I saw the doctor today. They stitched the top back on and thought it might reattach it doesnt look like it will stitches come out next week. It will either surprise me and reattach or scab up and fall off. If it falls off I will have a short finger. It was only about 1/4 the top knuckle some of the nail. Its on a diagonal so more nail on one side then other.

I eat, write, saw, and many other things leftie. I think throwing leftie will work but i t would prob be better to adjust grip.

Aw yea, you'll be fine. Just take care of it and keep that wound clean. You don't want any infections, like Mark said.

Don't be scared to learn to throw lefty. Think about all the new molds you'll get to try while you're working back up to your normal bag.

Besides, it'll give me a chance to be competitive against you again! :D

Dude I shot a 12 at woodland you will be crushing me, I was 10 after nine so I am already improving. Kellie was winning for a long time. Thanks for advice on the wound my wife is a former ICU nurse so were on top of the infections.

There is old thread you can search out about a guy who ripped off his ring finger jumping a fence at work. It gives me the willies just thinking about again.

*Be warned the pics are graphic and cannot be unseen*

Dude I shot a 12 at woodland you will be crushing me, I was 10 after nine so I am already improving. Kellie was winning for a long time. Thanks for advice on the wound my wife is a former ICU nurse so were on top of the infections.

Well let's throw ASAP then! You'll bring it around. I'll throw some righty rounds to make you feel better.

Latest posts