• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Love my FD’s but

You ever throw a D-line FD?

What do you think? 😁

Thissun is in my bag, it's fresh and the most US disc I throw. D-line is really like a different mold and the ones I've messed with all mold up the same with some dome and considerably lower plh. Love it for standstill distance BH and FH and powered down hyzer flips. Can even throw a BH roller with it, but that's a work in progress. Profile pic next to a NS1, which is slightly US for an FD.

Attachments

• PXL_20210211_170018409.jpg
    PXL_20210211_170018409.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20210211_170923810.jpg
    PXL_20210211_170923810.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 52
Lol, plenty FDs at the DD store today

attachment.php

Any S-lines with very mild dome?

And what is the DD store?

Anyone have any real world experience with a Prodigy F5?

By the numbers it may be a little more understable than the FD but you really can't always go by the numbers.

Are Prodigy discs fairly consistent in how they mold up from run to run?

-X Rivers are generally drop-in replacements (maybe slightly more stable) for FD's. I'd agree that other Rivers tend to be considerably more understand. Give them a try. They kicked FD's out of my bag

-X Rivers are generally drop-in replacements (maybe slightly more stable) for FD's. I'd agree that other Rivers tend to be considerably more understand. Give them a try. They kicked FD's out of my bag

This is different from my own observations. I found my new opto-x to be less stable than a beat in (only about 6 months) S-line I usually throw. Great disc, but more understable in my experience than the FD. I think they are more comparable to a champ leo3, but I have only thrown the first O-X Rivers.

I also have a regular opto river which is way flippier than an S/C line FD.

I keep trying to get rid of FD's because I don't love the hand feel but I haven't found anything that has the right stability either. I also like that I can cover a range of stabilities with some of the other runs. Currently bagging 2nd run, s-line, g-line to cover different stabilities.

Currently trying Teebirds including DX. DX birds fly incredible but not sure how they will wear.

While there is some variance, I generally find FDs to be pretty consistent in s/c line with 2nd runs being outliers.

Last edited:
I stopped throwing S-FDs for similar reasons. Plus I switched to drivers in the 150s and good luck finding light Discmania discs.

Anyway, Innova but I replaced S-FDs with Star TLs. Some prefer the TL3, which might be closer to a S-FD. I find the Star TL is a little more stable and has a bit more finishing fade compared with my old domey S-FDs. But at my less-than-awesome distance, a little angle manipulation yields similar lines.

I have not (yet?) had trouble with availability or consistency for Star TLs. I threw *TL a few years back for a bit, and the current ones seem to fly the same as the old ones.

FWIW, S-FDs replaced perfectly-seasoned DX Teebirds, so that's another option (if you are willing to give Innova another try).

This is dead on correct - seasoned DX Teebirds are sort of what I consider the rest of your FDs and TLs to be based on.

Star TL - really similar to the FD. Grab one and roll with it, but note, probably a little more stable than a fresh FD.

I picked up a couple of S-FDs I found locally for the same reason - it's a bit uncomfortable to lean on the FD like I do and not have plentiful backups. The darn things just fly SO FAR and SO STRAIGHT.

Any S-lines with very mild dome?

And what is the DD store?

Dynamic Discs store in Kansas City. I didn't see your post before I left, but the two I handled had pop-top. I don't know, but maybe they ship if you call them?

A TL looks (wing/shoulder/dome) and feels exactly like an FD side by side.

The Drift and the Leopard3 look nearly identical to each other. The 10 or so plasma and cosmic neutron Drift in stock varied from almost board flat to pretty domey, so I didn't get one.

What do you think? ��

Thissun is in my bag, it's fresh and the most US disc I throw. D-line is really like a different mold and the ones I've messed with all mold up the same with some dome and considerably lower plh. Love it for standstill distance BH and FH and powered down hyzer flips. Can even throw a BH roller with it, but that's a work in progress. Profile pic next to a NS1, which is slightly US for an FD.

That D-line wing looks very much like my DX Eagle-L. Sounds like similar flight too.

I threw the FD a lot back when there was still only 3 runs of C-line, and still bag a 2nd run about half of the time. The 3rd early pearlies weren't bad, but since all of my discs pull double duty forehand and backhand, I was never a huge fan of the dome.

That said, in my quest to find the perfect speed 6/7/8 disc, I had the most success with old opaque Eagle Ls (real smart move swapping rare for now rarer), champ TL3s, and luster Leopoard3s (still bag them with a second run as a compliment). I had lesser success with the classics like the Teebird, Teebird3, and traditional Eagle, as I had learned to really like the softer feeling edges of the FD.

If you like high glide and dome though, the TL sounds right up your alley. Somebody mentioned The Millennium LS, and that's a good option too.

FD's are good, but they can start turning a little too much when you smash them hard. If you want to go just slightly faster and more overstable, take a long look at the Explorer.

The Explorer holds a flat line better than an FD, and isn't quite as floaty.

FD's are good, but they can start turning a little too much when you smash them hard. If you want to go just slightly faster and more overstable, take a long look at the Explorer.

The Explorer holds a flat line better than an FD, and isn't quite as floaty.

I have an Explorer, I think it's recycled plastic, or perhaps goldline. I like the disc and bagged it until I found a Star Eagle that turns more and fades more than the Explorer. How long until an Explorer looses some of the fade and gains some turn?

I have an Explorer, I think it's recycled plastic, or perhaps goldline. I like the disc and bagged it until I found a Star Eagle that turns more and fades more than the Explorer. How long until an Explorer looses some of the fade and gains some turn?

I don't know. I haven't thrashed an Explorer enough to see it change flight. My Explorer is gold line. It'll turn a little if I really smash it, but otherwise just says flat.

The FD is definitely slower, glidier, and flippier than the Explorer. The FD almost had too much glide for me. I loved watching it fly, but if there was any wind at all it'd get pushed around.

You could also have a look at the champion Leopard. Like a FD, but less glide.

Lots of good ideas so far.

I was pondering some things tonight and was wondering what a G-star Teebird might do in my FD slot.

A friend of mine has an Opto Explorer that's beat to fly like a -1/1.5 within 4 months, granted he plays almost every day. Trilogy plastic isn't the most durable though.

Lots of good ideas so far.

I was pondering some things tonight and was wondering what a G-star Teebird might do in my FD slot.

I bag a gstar Teebird3. I bought it used, and it's still got all it's fade. Regular Teebird? I bet it would still take a while. DX though, probably nice right away if you find one that doesn't feel brittle.

I have a flattish S Line FD in the bag, but I am really digging the Sidewinder. Despite the numbers, which don't matter in the real world, the flight is very similar, but stretches the distance out a little and powers down fairly well. I would rather throw the FD from 330 to 350, but the Sidewinder is more predictable a little further than that.

I tried to use a couple of FD's of varying stability and ultimately moved on.

It's definitely a nice disc, but I primarily throw forehand and prefer flatter discs. It was just easier to use an L3, TL3, and Royal Rage. I've got a couple of L3's...some flippier some straighter so depending on the course I might bag an extra one.

I'll agree with what a few others have said, some consider it a positive but it can be a negative also...due to the FD's glide it's sneaky long and can be just as long as a control driver.

Great disc I just tend to prefer stuff that's lower in glide and easier to range, but that's just me.