• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Magellan disc golf bag

I want to build the frame for my Magellan bag, but from what I am reading the frame on here that was already pre-measured is almost too snug and is possibly ripping seams out.

Anyone get one built that isn't super snug in the bag and makes it looks like its busting at the seams?

I think 9' of the thing PVC will suffice, just don't want to mess up and have to get more product.

Yeah, cut the top cross-piece to 9 1/2" instead of 10". 10 is waaay to tight and will put strain on the seams.

I found on mine, the front pieces are really not needed once it's in the bag. With the bottom support, the rear vertical bars, and the t's and crosspiece in place, it stands perfectly. With the front vertical pieces, it was under severe stress at several points. I've done 6-7 rounds with it like this now and I'm about to go glue it all together. I'm very pleased with it.

I can't see ANY way to go wrong with this $30 bag and $8 worth of CPVC. It's a winner for me. I use it on new, longer courses and as a master storage for the discs I throw. I still have my crunch box for quickie or limited disc rounds, but the Magellan has been seeing more course time as I've gotten it dialed in with the frame. I'm a 5-8 rounds/week kind player, and it's not falling apart on me. Heck even if it lasts 1-2 seasons, I'll buy another and put the frame in it. I could do this for 15 years and still not get close to the purchase price of a large Grip or similar bag. I'm thrilled with it!

Finally finished my plastic mod last night, turned out great

Attachments

• 20150828_184149.jpg
    20150828_184149.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 20150828_184218.jpg
    20150828_184218.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 186
Yeah, cut the top cross-piece to 9 1/2" instead of 10". 10 is waaay to tight and will put strain on the seams.

I found on mine, the front pieces are really not needed once it's in the bag. With the bottom support, the rear vertical bars, and the t's and crosspiece in place, it stands perfectly. With the front vertical pieces, it was under severe stress at several points. I've done 6-7 rounds with it like this now and I'm about to go glue it all together. I'm very pleased with it.

I can't see ANY way to go wrong with this $30 bag and $8 worth of CPVC. It's a winner for me. I use it on new, longer courses and as a master storage for the discs I throw. I still have my crunch box for quickie or limited disc rounds, but the Magellan has been seeing more course time as I've gotten it dialed in with the frame. I'm a 5-8 rounds/week kind player, and it's not falling apart on me. Heck even if it lasts 1-2 seasons, I'll buy another and put the frame in it. I could do this for 15 years and still not get close to the purchase price of a large Grip or similar bag. I'm thrilled with it!

Monkey,

Noted everything you said, and built mine this weekend, I will try and get pics up this evening when I am off work.

I ended up NOT using the front support bars because like you mentioned, it was WAYYYY too tight and putting an insane amount of stress on the seams and zippers.

I cut all cross sections at 10" but adjusted accordingly after getting them in the bag and eye-balling everything. (Adjusted accordingly using a metal file to shave off fractions of millimeters etc.)

Instead of using the front support bars (vertical) I cut 1 more horizontal 9.75" piece and put in on the bottom.

I'd also make a point to mention, not sure if Monkey can attest to this or not, that the 3" sections listed on pg 13 of this thread for the bottom middle "bridge gap" sections are WAYY too long, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I would get the 2 x 90's and 2 x T's in there with 4 x 1" sections and 2 x 3" sections ----- I ended up using 6 x 1" sections to fit it in and even that felt like it was pushing it.

Having said that, the bag sits up just like a $200 grip or other expensive variation.

After the construction of the frame I have 2 putters in the top quiver and 19 discs in the main compartment, so I lose 0 storage, in all reality, I could easily fit MORE into the bag with ease now that there is a frame.

I think it would also be important to note that now that it stands straight up, getting a chair to fit in the designated spot would be much easier. There were plenty of critics stating the bag was too floppy for it to be completely functional and honestly I'd have to agree. I do not own a chair, but I know that keep it in place would be 100 times easier now that there is a frame-work built into the bag.

My bag is still easily 10/10, and has showed no signs of wear and tear and I've had it for about 2 months. I just put the frame in it and I made sure to not stretch seams when I installed it, so I expect the bag to keep its 10/10 or 9/10 for quite some time.

I've got the black model with the neon green outlines, and like I mentioned above, I will try and get some pictures up here this evening.

Only thing I am missing are some RDG 'eye' patches *cough* JAMIE *cough*

That is all! Cheers!

What specs did you use? Did you make your own or follow a previously posted set?

Page 29 and 30 of this thread has good info for this. I cut mine down along the top edge about half an inch, just to make sure it wasn't too tight at the top. I did not want any long term damage to the top, it seemed a little tight at first.

Just made a template out of cardboard, then cut the corrugated plastic off the templates. Took maybe an hour to complete.

A good tip for bending the plastic in, in order to attach the Velcro is putting it in a vice grip and then bending it.

Page 29 and 30 of this thread has good info for this. I cut mine down along the top edge about half an inch, just to make sure it wasn't too tight at the top. I did not want any long term damage to the top, it seemed a little tight at first.

Just made a template out of cardboard, then cut the corrugated plastic off the templates. Took maybe an hour to complete.

A good tip for bending the plastic in, in order to attach the Velcro is putting it in a vice grip and then bending it.

Any trouble with it being too tight on the seams? I found another template that seems a little more conservative in the dimensions and am more likely to go with it unless you haven't had any problems with the ones you used.

Any trouble with it being too tight on the seams? I found another template that seems a little more conservative in the dimensions and am more likely to go with it unless you haven't had any problems with the ones you used.

Yeah, I used that template, but trimmed probably a half inch off the top just to make sure I didn't put too much pressure on the bag. Been using it weekly, and everything still looks perfect.

Monkey,

Noted everything you said, and built mine this weekend, I will try and get pics up this evening when I am off work.

I ended up NOT using the front support bars because like you mentioned, it was WAYYYY too tight and putting an insane amount of stress on the seams and zippers.

I cut all cross sections at 10" but adjusted accordingly after getting them in the bag and eye-balling everything. (Adjusted accordingly using a metal file to shave off fractions of millimeters etc.)

Instead of using the front support bars (vertical) I cut 1 more horizontal 9.75" piece and put in on the bottom.

I'd also make a point to mention, not sure if Monkey can attest to this or not, that the 3" sections listed on pg 13 of this thread for the bottom middle "bridge gap" sections are WAYY too long, there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell I would get the 2 x 90's and 2 x T's in there with 4 x 1" sections and 2 x 3" sections ----- I ended up using 6 x 1" sections to fit it in and even that felt like it was pushing it.

Having said that, the bag sits up just like a $200 grip or other expensive variation.

After the construction of the frame I have 2 putters in the top quiver and 19 discs in the main compartment, so I lose 0 storage, in all reality, I could easily fit MORE into the bag with ease now that there is a frame.

I think it would also be important to note that now that it stands straight up, getting a chair to fit in the designated spot would be much easier. There were plenty of critics stating the bag was too floppy for it to be completely functional and honestly I'd have to agree. I do not own a chair, but I know that keep it in place would be 100 times easier now that there is a frame-work built into the bag.

My bag is still easily 10/10, and has showed no signs of wear and tear and I've had it for about 2 months. I just put the frame in it and I made sure to not stretch seams when I installed it, so I expect the bag to keep its 10/10 or 9/10 for quite some time.

That is all! Cheers!

Yes, I noticed the connectors were too long I had to cut them down too. Sorry I forgot to mention that. ;)

I cut all my connectors to 1" and they worked great. Funny I had also thought about re-purposing the original vertical front brace and turning the 90* elbows to the inside and adding a 3rd lower brace too! I ended up not doing it (yet) because it didn't seem to need it and I'm keeping the weight to an absolute minimum.

You are also correct - with the proper PVC frame, it holds a tripod beautifully! I'm about about 2 months with it as well... no signs of wear or seams coming apart whatsoever.

I'm taking it with me on a pleasurable business trip up to the Blue Ridge Mtns today and I'm going to play a 9 hole private course on the property. Should be big fun!!

I just wanted to share my experience with this bag. I bought it and also bought the innova dividers. Fit in there great. lovd the bag. Had it for 6 weeks, played about 1 round a week and then noticed a rip on the top of one of the straps. Don't know how it happened since it isn't really in a point that should rip but it did. I have too commend them on their CS. I called and explained what happened, they said that I could just send the bag back and get a full refund. I printed up a return label and returned it.

I had read other people having a similar issue but had to try it for myself since$30 would beagle at deal.

I hope others are having better luck with theirs. I ended up getting the MVP nucleus tournament bag and love it. I do miss the backpack feel but I am not yet ready to spend $100+ on one.

I know I've posted here before, but this time it's for real.
My backup bag is sold pending funds, so I'm in need of something. This will be used for rounds that my stroller cart won't work on. 2 questions:

How light or dark would you say the grey color is? I usually lean toward darker colors, and have only seen the blue in person, which is way too light for my liking.

Being this is more of a backup, I don't need it immediately, should I wait for holiday sales? Or doesn't academy usually do those?

I know I've posted here before, but this time it's for real.
My backup bag is sold pending funds, so I'm in need of something. This will be used for rounds that my stroller cart won't work on. 2 questions:

How light or dark would you say the grey color is? I usually lean toward darker colors, and have only seen the blue in person, which is way too light for my liking.

Being this is more of a backup, I don't need it immediately, should I wait for holiday sales? Or doesn't academy usually do those?

They did not really last year. Right now is the cheapest I have seen them offer this bag. You can get it online for $30 and free shipping b/c it is over $25. I doubt it is getting much if any cheaper. The grey is closer to silver than say smoke. The picture on Academy's website is accurate of the color. Unless you really like the black one, but the grey. The bag has been updated just slightly since the original run for the better. Not sure if they have sold out of the older black run, but the blue and the grey one only come in the updated form.

Thanx. Were the changes major? I think I remember reading about bigger bottle holders, not sure what else.

Thanx. Were the changes major? I think I remember reading about bigger bottle holders, not sure what else.

No, I think that is really the only change I noticed, but the difference in the holders is in mine (which is older) you have to force a Nalgene in vs in my buddy's (updated) the Nalgene fits easily. I carry two bottles sometimes, so this is a big deal for me.

Thanks, I won't be overly annoyed if I get an old one, but bigger holders would be nice. My old bag fit a 32 oz Powerade bottle perfectly, so I got pretty accustomed to those.

Ordered the grey one last night. So anxious for it to get here,
Now to find some corrugated plastic, I may have to hit up a sign shop. I couldn't find it at Menard's, does anyone know if Lowe's sells it?

A friend of mine just gave me his used and fairly beat up Magellan, after one of the straps on my old back pack finally ripped out.

This thing has seen some hard use and abuse, but considering the price and that it's been through 5 owners, I think it has held up well. One seam tear at the corner from a frame that was too tight, and one bottle holder ripped out. Overall looks reasonably durable for a $30 bag.

My only complaint is that it's too big! I don't have enough discs to fill it. So I'm gonna make an inner shell out of heavy plastic with a divider, one side for discs, the other for stuffing things in. Fall is here and lately I've needed a sweatshirt for early morning rounds but ditch it later in the day. I can fit all my discs, a jacket/sweatshirt, extra socks, and my disc shoes in there, zip it up and be ready to play whenever.

It ought to at least last the fall. The bag carries pretty comfortable and is fairly light even with a pvc frame. I'd say it's worth the price, but I don't think I'll replace it with another, just because I don't need anything that big.

Ordered the grey one last night. So anxious for it to get here,
Now to find some corrugated plastic, I may have to hit up a sign shop. I couldn't find it at Menard's, does anyone know if Lowe's sells it?

Don't bother with sign shops (one near me would not sell blank signs for less than full price). Go to Home Depot and buy larger sheets of corrugate plastic. It is a little more than $9 for a sheet that is big enough to cut.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-24-in-x-36-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-2436/202090128

I think I found mine in the door department, but I am not entirely sure. I found a black sheet which blends into the bag and isn't noticeable I have posted a link to a youtube video on page 42, post 416 with great instructions on how to install and dimensions to cut. I installed mine and it works great. I think I cut maybe just a bit smaller than suggested to make sure it wasn't stressing the seems. Took less than an hour to cut and install, and I am very meticulous and take my time with the cut/measuring.

Got my bag today, initial impression is pretty decent, great for the price. Definitely needs a coro frame.
Not quite sure why the bottom unvelcros at the front.

2 minor things so far with it.
The one side padding was folded during shipping, so all lumpy and I can't straighten it out.
The top putter pocket is too deep imo. I tried searching, but what have people done to get the putters to ride a bit higher? I've seen pics of bags where you can see almost 1/4 of the disc.

Latest posts