• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Making things slower

I putted with the Ultra-Star today. Initially I didn't have problems but later on my fingers started opening prematurely. The disc wasn't slipping. My fingers really uncurled. That stopped my tries. Sucks to have nerve damage. That's why I've been shunning DG putters lately for a while and have putted with my gummy QMS which alleviates getting nerve trouble later in the day.

Recently I got new discs including a Z Putt'r and a Soft Magnet. Not too many throws with them yet because of Ultra-Star practice till trouble then a thin disc for saving me from further trouble. Because I try to learn my new discs I don't carry any of the old ones and am slowly beginning to not suffer from the switch. X Stratus makes a good long putter. It's too LSS when new for me as a putter for my style which is to try to throw a straight line with little height and no sideways variation. With non putters fades do move the discs sideways a bit. Enough to miss on long putts. For pitch putters I think a Stratus would fly familiarly except it glides very well. The grip is naturally different. A bit better height holding than QMS. Better than any 17x class putters I've thrown including Softie 86.

Oh my G! I think I refound a near universally suitable grip for putting and finally got my arm extension speed back and that has transformed my putting results totally. Getting closer to where I was last winter at the best but most of my practice has been at close ranges indoors. When out I'm still fine :) While at least not directly attributable to the Ultra-Star these helpful improvements have translated well to the Ultra-Star as well.

The Ultra-Star is incredible putter when one gets the grip right. Because this baby soars like an angel it's incredible putter. But the more demanding the throw the better this gets as long as your form is good enough for the distance. Still little practice and no luck with long throws. But how do anhyzer s-curve upside down overhead turbo putts sound to ya? :-D For real! This baby does arm straight up turbos, regular turbos, back of the disc on the collar bone turbos and turbos without spin great. Accurate and consistent except for longer distances the spinless version turns unpredictably mid air...

I even tried hyzers and anhyzers with arm up turbos to great effect but have only a few throws and accuracy of release and control of when and how steep the turn is iffy. Forehand putts are incredibly accurate. The only thing that was giving me trouble was getting the disc to flex accurately with anny s-curve upside down turbos. Is there a name for this throw?

The Ultra-Star works with control grip as well. I attribute most of the greatness of this disc as a putter and gimmick shot flyer to the incredible glide at low speeds. It really drops slowly in most cases. Upside down throws fall fast with every disc but with this disc the drop is the gentlest but still more than with a heavy Wizard right side up with regular putts. The other great thing about the U-S is the shape that allows easy control for the turbos. I also compared the Whitler and the Putt'r for turbos to see how the grip works. They are all great with grips and fly fine but the U-S takes the cake for accuracy and versatility with all sorts of weird flight lines possible to unusual distances in Z and X axes.

Latest posts