• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

martso's Bag

martso

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 8 months;
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some FH (when really needed)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Harp: 160/200'; Buzzz: 200/250'; Saint: 275/300'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: -
Other sport proficiencies?: Basketball, volleyball, badminton etc.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I like that i have enough discs to cover different shots, but perhaps it would be possible to do it with less molds.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Is this setup right for developing my distance and accuracy?
Immediate and long-term goals: Right now i'm trying to stick to control drivers, distance drivers dont really get a lot of action but my aim is to develop to the point that i can move on to distance drivers without losing accuracy.

Bag:

Distance drivers:
169 Star Wraith (new) - A few forehand shots, but mainly field practice. Would like it to become my main bh driver in the future.
168 Star Destroyer (beat) - A few overhead and forehand shots, but dont really use it much.
172 GL Halo (used) - when i need a long straight forehand shot.
172 Star Tern (new) - recently bought and mostly field practice. Hopefully becomes my max dictance driver someday :)

Control drivers:
172 GL Saint (used but stable) - main driver
172 Opto Saint Pro (new) - overstable/light to medium wind
170 Star Sidewinder (new) - should be understable but cant really click with it. Rearly use it on course, mostly field practice
172 Z Predator (new) - for very windy days/very os

Fairway drivers
170 Champ Teebird (used) - for most fairway duties, nice and straight with predictable fade
172 Star TL (used) - when i need to finish straight

Mids:
175 Z Buzzz (new) - just bought, hopefully will become my main mid.
174 Z FLX Buzzz (used) - main mid, just too soft for warmer weather (perfect for winter tho)
175 Z Buzzz OS (new) - for os, windy and forehand shots

Putters:
175 Classic (Hard) Warden x3 (used) - main putter
173 BT Soft Harp (used) - for approaches

Any suggestions?

You have a lot of overlap and too many discs for specific shots only. At your stated distances, all the high speed stuff isn't really going to be doing you any favors. Practice with them if you want, but my suggestion would be to drop everything from your bag above the Teebird and TL Except the Predator (utility role) and the Sidewinder because Winders are good first drivers.

This a good thread that can/will give you some ideas on how to use discs and develop your skill. I wished I would have seen it when I first started, it would have saved me a lot of money and a lot of work correcting my form from trying to throw high speed drivers the "wrong" way. Try it for just a month, you might be surprised.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32790

You have a lot of overlap and too many discs for specific shots only. At your stated distances, all the high speed stuff isn't really going to be doing you any favors. Practice with them if you want, but my suggestion would be to drop everything from your bag above the Teebird and TL Except the Predator (utility role) and the Sidewinder because Winders are good first drivers.

I generally agree with Keller's comments. Maybe practice with the Tern, but drop the other distance drivers for now. The Star Sidewinder will season in with use and become more overstable, so IMHO pair it with the Saint and you'll be good for now.

You will eventually want a neutral-to-understable mid for turnover/anny shots. Buzzz SS, Mako3, something in that category. But that's not an urgency now, unless your home course needs that shot.

BTW, I like the discs you're using below distance driver.

Thanks for all the good advice! Made some corrections to my bag, dropped most of the high speed stuff and i'll try to stick to it for this year. Hopefully better form and better scores will follow :)

Drivers:
172 DX Eagle (new) - main driver. Has a nice turn and fade, so hopefully will teach me a lot about drawing lines :)
172 Star Eagle (new) - waiting its turn when the DX one gets beat in.
172 Star TL (seasoned) - for tunnel shots, has little to none fade.
170 Star Sidewinder (new) - starting to understand the disc. Will use it for max distance shots on open holes.
172 Z Predator (new) - meathook. utility disc for windy, OS and OH duties.

Mids:
175 Z Buzzz (new) - goes straight and far, really like this one
174 Z FLX Buzzz (seasoned) - does not go as far as the Z Buzzz, but is great plastic for winter. Too soft for warmer weather.
175 Z Buzzz OS (new) - for os and wind duties

Putters:
175 Classic (Hard) Warden x3 (seasoned) - for putting and driving
173 BT Soft Harp (seasoned) - for approaches

Now that is a pretty solid looking bag!
That Star Eagle isn't going to breaking anytime too soon though! LOL I love Eagles!

May I suggest a Comet for US/ straight mid, it's an amazing disc that turns right at the end and teaches/shows form issues

May I suggest a Comet for US/ straight mid, it's an amazing disc that turns right at the end and teaches/shows form issues

I personally prefer the Mako3 over the Comet. The Mako3 is more comfortable in the hand; the Comet is like the Roc3 and not so comfortable to my hands. I just prefer the easy straight to slightly understable Mako3's flight, as well.

As to the rest of it, the OP's revised bag looks really good. Keep up the good work with it!