• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MATCH PLAY: Play Aggressive or Safe?

In a match play style tournament, would you play more aggressive or more safely?

• Total voters

kpc2004

Double Eagle Member
I am in a match play tournament and my first match is on Sunday and I was just curious if you guys think it is smarter to be aggressive and try to get 2's or play it safe and try for 3's and make the other guy to make the tough shots. I have never played in a match play style tourney before so I am interested in others opinions. What do you think??

The course we are playing round 1 at is a wooded course, Spring Valley DGC, and we are playing the "finesse 18" layout. Personally, I am leaning towards the aggressive side because I feel that is more my style of play.

I realize the best answer is probably "both" but I am leaving it out of the poll. So in general, would you be more aggressive or more on the safe side?

Last edited:
I have no experience myself, but my strategy going in would be to play conservative, especially in the early rounds. Go aggressive on the really high percentage holes, but otherwise sit back and watch your opponent make mistakes. As you get deeper in the bracket, the competition will become tougher and you'll want to start to play more aggressively.

One guy goes aggressive, if his shot doesn't work out the other guy plays conservatively. If it does work out it's either in the basket or his teammate can run at the basket.

One guy goes aggressive, if his shot doesn't work out the other guy plays conservatively. If it does work out it's either in the basket or his teammate can run at the basket.

The question was about match play, not doubles.

^^(bradharris) I agree with this but having played a few ball golf match play tournaments in my time....you can't get over complacent. You have to stay committed and keep your focus. When you start to play conservative you can get yourself scared to make a mistake. You can't let that fear creep in because it's tough to get out of once you get there. Play conservative meaning...play to your strengths and don't worry if he is longer or shorter than you...play within yourself and go for the shots you know you can make...don't be afraid to pull the trigger every now and then...believe me he is just as nervous as you are while playing...if you find yourself in trouble don't go for the big risk/reward shot if you think there might be chance to get deeper in the chit....play safe and get out and make you three/four...there will be holes where he will mess up or you will just make it up...remember you are not only playing him but the course...don't get caught up with what he is doing but don't lose track of how many strokes he is throwing on each hole so you know when to play it safe and when to put the nail in the coffin. Keep your head up and remember we all make bad throws every now and then....if you lose a hole forget about it....there are more to play and you will have the opportunity to get it back.

depends. I'd say be safe off the tee then depending on how they play you adjust. It helps a lot if you figure out how good the other guy is putting that day. If they are making anything inside 50' it might be worth your time to run at some longer shots. If they are missing 20' shots, you can lay up and let them screw up.

you playing advance or what? that would probably help people give advise

One strategy to consider is whether you give your opponent gimmies. On the one hand, people dink 15' putts all the time. On the other hand, if they are very consistent putting, giving them gimmies on all the shorties early in a round can leave them unprepared for the longer putts when they come up. Making a few shorties in a row can build putting confidence. Keep this in mind if your opponent gives you gimmies as well.

you playing advance or what? that would probably help people give advise

The tournament is open to all playing levels. I myself play open in mini's and such but am really more of an advanced player. I do not personally know my opponent so I can not say how good of a player he is. His rating is pretty low but he only played one tourney in 2011. The course we are playing can be easy to make mistakes and hard to get out of them unscathed.

One strategy to consider is whether you give your opponent gimmies. On the one hand, people dink 15' putts all the time. On the other hand, if they are very consistent putting, giving them gimmies on all the shorties early in a round can leave them unprepared for the longer putts when they come up. Making a few shorties in a row can build putting confidence. Keep this in mind if your opponent gives you gimmies as well.

It is in the tournament rules that even a putt under the basket has to be marked and putt out.

Last edited:
I like to stay aggressive, but I still look for high percentage, smart shots. If I start playing more conservatively than normal, I typically end up making bad shots. If I'm thinking too much or doubting myself while I'm throwing, it messes up my timing.

This is how it is worded, "Finish your putt, even if it is directly below the basket. Do not just pick up your disc thinking the shot is a gimmie, no matter how close to the basket it may be."

Personally, I like to play conservatively until I get the measure of my opponent. I find that most players start off aggressive pushing for that early lead, but aggressive play before you're properly warmed up can lead to a lot of mistakes. A lot of mistakes can rattle someone and cause more mistakes and more cautious play. If my opponent doesn't screw up and gets ahead, then it's time to get a little more aggressive. Wooded courses tend to reward careful shot placement and conservative play more than open ones.

This is how it is worded, "Finish your putt, even if it is directly below the basket. Do not just pick up your disc thinking the shot is a gimmie, no matter how close to the basket it may be."

So you can't give yourself a gimmie, but that doesn't mean you can't give your opponent one, right? At any rate, not that big a deal, just a good mind phuck.

The point of match play is to try to do slightly better than your opponent. If he goes first and lands 50' shy of the basket, try to land 45' shy because then he has to shoot first. Knowing what you are up against makes all the difference in match play. I would play conservatively with the box, forcing the opponent to match your shots and hoping they screw it up. If they take the box, go aggressive as soon as your opponent shows signs of weakness on a hole.

It is interesting how even the poll has been. I think for the most part I am still leaning towards being aggressive but I do like how you said just try to do slightly better than him so I can make him throw first. I think that will be my goal on some of the really tough holes.

Kevin, is there any information on this event? Is it open to anyone?

Match play is a whole different game then stroke play.

It really opens up the possibility of a "weaker" player winning the match just by playing par golf.

Because I'm familiar with the course, I'd advise on aggressive / conservative play on a hole by hole basis. I tend to always attempt to play aggressively. Don't get comfortable if up by a hole or two and never give up... anything can shake a players confidence and momentum can shift at any time.

I started to write up a hole by hole but ultimately it's how you're feeling (confidence wise) whether to "go-for-it" or 'take-it easy".

Good luck & have fun... hopefully a close & satisfying match win.

I'd say it all depends on you. If you know the course really well, an dplay it all the time then you can probably play a little more aggressive, but if its a new course you really struggle with then more conservative it is.

I like the hole by hole thing too. If you are good at certain shots be aggressive on holes that those work good for, and more conservative on the others.

This even was set up by Vic who works at Spring Valley and is non sanctioned and 100% payout. He is going to be starting another one soon. It has 16 people, $25 entry fee, 4 places paid. Round 1 is finesse 18 at Spring Valley, round 2 is at Texas Army Trail, round 3 is at TC Jester, and round 4 is all 27 holes at Spring Valley.

I play this course occasionally on the Sunday morning mini's but I usually play other courses in the area. There are a bunch that I am 100% going for the deuce, I am really just questioning my tactics for holes like 8, 11, 17, 18, and maybe a few other shots that you can really get in trouble off the tee box. Normally I try to go for every drive but on some of those holes I may throw a roc instead of a teebird this time.

I think the main key with match play is if you have the box throwing first, to put a good shot out there so you have a very good look at par. It may not be as close as you normally are, but make sure it's at least a good look at par. This will put pressure on him to do the same, and throws under pressure are more likely to be errant. If he messes up, then you have a green light to run at the birdie, if not you go up take your easy upshot and make par, then go to the next hole with the same strategy. I would lean toward staying aggressive, but the worst thing to do is to lead off with a drive that your opponent knows is going to be a bogey if not worse. This lets pressure off your opponent and could possibly let him find his groove.