• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MATCH PLAY: Play Aggressive or Safe?

In a match play style tournament, would you play more aggressive or more safely?

• Total voters
With my vote of "safe" its still tied up 50/50!
I just dont have enough confidence to aim through the chains every time when it really counts.
Play it safe for Par and hope others dont and miss!

As someone who has only lost 2 matches, it all depends. It doesnt boil down to one way or another. You have to decide yourself how you are playing and where your confidence is. It also depends on the level of the player you are playing and where that person is mentally and how they are playing at the time. How the match itselfs goes makes a big difference too, because if someone gets out to an early lead, then people start pressig and making mistakes which helps the other as well, especially in short 9 hole matches.

OK....I won my first match very easily, 12-3 with 7 birdies to his 1. My second match is on a very tough course (Texas Army Trail) against a player who is better than I am. Any new strategies on this one?

Again, it depends. If I was playing someone better than me, I would probably play more aggressive on a longer course so that my length might make up for what I might lack in short game. Can you reach the 400-430' holes on that course? If you can, but your competitor can't, then definitely try to use that to your advantage.

Also, what do you mean you won 12-3? The match play scoring I am familiar with is what is used in ball golf.

Again, it depends. If I was playing someone better than me, I would probably play more aggressive on a longer course so that my length might make up for what I might lack in short game. Can you reach the 400-430' holes on that course? If you can, but your competitor can't, then definitely try to use that to your advantage.

Also, what do you mean you won 12-3? The match play scoring I am familiar with is what is used in ball golf.

He can throw farther than I can for sure, and on the "12-3" we were playing with another group in the match play tournament and in a mini at the same time (2 seperate score cards) and they went all the way to the last hole for their match play so we kept scoring it even though it was already over. I really had him way before that.

Gotcha. Sounds like you better be aggressive on the ones that you can reach, and make sure you get your 3s on the longer ones. That will put pressure on him to try to deuce the longer holes and maybe make a mistake doing it.

THREAD REVIVAL!

Go search function (use the google search - it actually works)! Anywho, I'm playing in a match tourney and have found that strategy depends largely on the score. On the first hole, if you go first go aggressive to try and put pressure on the opponent right away. If you're second, go aggressive if your opponent shoots well/decent, or play it safe if he/she flubs it bad. Once you get a lead, play it safe and just try to tie as much as possible and take the wins as they come. If you get behind, play smart. On holes you're confident on, go for it hard to catch up. On ones you're not so good at, play a little more conservatively so as to not dig yourself a deeper hole. Obviously if your opponent flubs, jump all over that sh!t. I used this strategy in my first match and won by hole 15. Hopefully it'll stand up to the next 4 (hopefully) matches as well!

If I'm going first, I play the percentages and just stick with my normal game unless I'm up big or down big. If I'm going second and the other player has a good shot, I'll go aggressive. If they shank it into the rough I'll play a safe shot to guarantee an easy par.

Go search function (use the google search - it actually works)! Anywho, I'm playing in a match tourney and have found that strategy depends largely on the score. On the first hole, if you go first go aggressive to try and put pressure on the opponent right away. If you're second, go aggressive if your opponent shoots well/decent, or play it safe if he/she flubs it bad. Once you get a lead, play it safe and just try to tie as much as possible and take the wins as they come. If you get behind, play smart. On holes you're confident on, go for it hard to catch up. On ones you're not so good at, play a little more conservatively so as to not dig yourself a deeper hole. Obviously if your opponent flubs, jump all over that sh!t. I used this strategy in my first match and won by hole 15. Hopefully it'll stand up to the next 4 (hopefully) matches as well!

I tip my hat to you sir :clap: I probably would not have remembered this thread if you had started a new thread.

In match play teepad order actually matters, and the advantage of throwing last is huge.

When i throw first, i never try to get fancy, but of course try to throw a good shot and not a dissasster lie like OB or a bad tree hit. Sometimes it's better to play conservatively by laying up and forcing your competition to match or better the throw.

My vote made it 50/50 for aggressive versus safe. I've only played in one match play style tournament and it was just a bunch of locals playing for bragging rights and beer money. Played aggressive the entire time and got second.

I play aggressive in most of my tournaments unless I have a comfortable lead or I have no other option then to just lay it up and move on. I like playing aggressive and I have paid the price many times over for it. I've felt the rewards of playing aggressive many times over too. Really I guess it's to each their own.

I'm playing in a match play tourney in a couple weeks for the east metro. One of my buddies that I always play with is playing for the west. We went out and did a friendly match play round today and took him 10-5, I just hope that translates exactly the same in two weeks.

Match play is a different game, though. Takes a lot of strategy, which I'm fairly confident that I can hand making the right calls and whatnot. Best part is that it's not an overall score, so you don't really have to worry about doing horrible on a hole, because it won't set you far behind, if it does at all.

Match play is a different game, though. Takes a lot of strategy, which I'm fairly confident that I can hand making the right calls and whatnot. Best part is that it's not an overall score, so you don't really have to worry about doing horrible on a hole, because it won't set you far behind, if it does at all.

That's one of the best parts IMHO! Say your opponent played it safe and got par, while you struggled and have a 75ft putt for par. In stroke it would make sense to play conservatively and save a huge overshot, but in Match you can go for it with reckless abandon! It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 stroke or 10 so you can really go for the gusto.

That's one of the best parts IMHO! Say your opponent played it safe and got par, while you struggled and have a 75ft putt for par. In stroke it would make sense to play conservatively and save a huge overshot, but in Match you can go for it with reckless abandon! It doesn't matter if you lose by 1 stroke or 10 so you can really go for the gusto.

That actually happened on a hole. Had a 70 footer for par save, while he was under the basket. Ran a flick at it and nailed it.

I have a match play tourney in 2 weeks. I will play how my friend describes how to play all tournaments - "Shoot for par and the deuces will come." I let the other guy make the mistakes and shoot safe, settle for push on the tough holes and play aggresive but smart on the holes I am confident on.

The converse can also be true. Your second shot is 25' from the basket; your struggling opponent puts his fourth shot under the basket. You might just lay up to the pole to avoid risking a rollaway. Especially if there's any kind of slope to the ground, or wind.

The answer is both. It's a bit of a poker match, reading your opponent and knowing when to fold and when to go "all in".

Having said that, I've seen many players get too wrapped up in the strategic elements and forget that the game is about throwing discs. I like to play my normal game 90% of the time, essentially ignoring my opponent, but being able to recognize the 10% times when I would deviate from "normal".