• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Matrix

From the Circuit page:

•Fast and smooth large-diameter midrange driver
•Responsive overstable flight for broad power spectrum

The most overstable GYRO™ midrange to date, designed from overwhelming demand by MVP fans.

Sounds fairly beefy, but not too much that it's not workable. They really need to start cranking out more of their discs in Electron.

It won't have a Gator like flight since its large diameter.

It could however have a Drone like flight.

My guess would be in between a Verdict and Drone.

It won't have a Gator like flight since its large diameter.

It could however have a Drone like flight.

My guess would be in between a Verdict and Drone.

This is almost exactly what I want from the Matrix. A faster, slightly more stable Tensor basically.

Matrix finally got approved today...

weight: 178.5g

dia: 21.5cm

height: 1.6cm

rim depth: 1.4cm

inside rim: 18.7cm

rim thickness: 1.4cm

Definitely not the fast midrange class...

Doesn't sound slow. Both the Axis and Vector have 13mm rims. The Relay is 16mm. So if the PDGA is correct in their measurements, and the Matrix rim is 14mm, it should be pretty fast.

Edit: nevermind, it's 13mm, which comes from MVP as I posted above. Stinking PDGA.

Last edited:
I thought it would be in the tensor/tangent class because of the diameter and weight. I didn't really think about the rim.

New core, first GYRO mid without the Vector/Axis core

13mm rim same as Vector/Axis

but 21.5cm diameter like Tensor/Tangent/Alias

a bit more shallow than existing mid core

speedy w/less plate?

haven't handled one yet

MVP /Axiom defines the class by rim width. But the Matrix seems to have the same overall diameter as the Tensor and Tangent at 21.5cm. That could indicate a shared core. I guess we'll just have to wait an see how she flies. :)

Edit: Leave it to Zam to spoil the speculation. :p

Sounds interesting Zam. I do like the smaller feel of the 21.5 mids. Never really liked the feel of vector/axis even though I throw wasps...

Well, I'm not a huge Facebook guy, but I kind of had to have an account because the CLT club as basically moved all their informational presence onto it.

There's some Circuit stuff on the MVP b/s/t group. FYI.

Im not on the book. Also, there might be two circuit events in the summer I might go to, so I'm not gonna buy one now. Don't really have the money to justify buying a disc i'm gonna get later...

...Man I want one of those trophy minis...:thmbup:

"The Matrix is a new overstable midrange from MVP Disc Sports set to debut in the 2016 MVP Circuit Event Series. The Proton Matrix will match with an Electron Spin putter and Neutron Signal fairway driver for a unique and versatile three disc Player's Pack.

The Matrix is designed to resist turnover for all power levels and situations, and its stability is best described as a longer Axiom Envy. Matrix should have a long straight travel for most throwers, followed by a dependable fade. While this is not a "meathook" style overstable midrange, its utility is not to be underestimated. Release angles make all the difference with this type of midrange. Anhyzers can turn tight corners with minimal height and pan out to a flat landing — hyzers can ride precision arcs in any wind — and dead flat shots can gain distance while biting off at the end for easy ranging and placement.

The Matrix is based on an entirely new mold core, whereas all current MVP and Axiom Discs midranges share the same core. The Matrix has a 13mm rim, as do the Vector and Axis, but the slightly smaller diameter of 21.5cm is shared by the Tensor and Tangent 12mm Midrange class. This core's plate will be flatter with a slightly more shallow grip than the current midrange lineup.

The Matrix will debut May 29 in Proton with the first 2016 MVP Circuit events, and will be available exclusively through Circuit organizers until after the 2016 Circuit season. Visit MVPCircuit.com for details about the event, Player's Pack, and other Circuit models." - by MVP Disc Sports

matrix-pdga-announcement.jpg

Sounds like a Tensor with a different shape?...:confused:

I guess if they just wanted to make a new tensor type disc(flight wise), I would be ok with that. Not a lot of people like that mold, so a different disc may solve that problem. But to say " Most OS midrange to date" on the circuit info is a bit misleading, IMO. I guess ifs its a degree more OS they can claim that but I(and I'm sure many others) saw that and instantly thought meathook...

Most resistant to turnover would have been a better phrase.

Last edited:
Envies aren't that OS at all, but I agree about resistance to turn. A longer Envy in a fast midrange sounds like a heck of a combo.