• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Maxing out @ 300ft...

Still making slow progress – I threw > 300' with my fairway drivers several times today. The key seems to be opening my hips, which unblocks the lower body, and following through hard.

JR, it does feel like I have taken the hand brake off (or at least loosened it up a few clicks).

The downside is that my usually reliable approach game has gone to hell (temporarily, I hope). I keep overthrowing putter approaches by 50' or namby-arming approaches because I'm worried about throwing 50' past the basket.

Everyone goes through an adjustment period when they gain additional distance. Some approach practice seems appropriate then or trying out slower and/or less gliding putters to reduce the chances of long blow bys. While i'm always in favor of more skills over more equipment there are advantages to finite distance discs in distance control and being calm. Which helps reduce mental mistakes.

I also have to say THANK YOU!!! Just read your post last week and I have had some real good breakthrough disc golf. I ashamed to say that I TEACH this concept to my son and his teammates in baseball and have been strong-arming my drives for the past 3-4 months.

Thanks again JR...I will work hard on improving my form and using my lower body.

A baseball throw at hip height is about the same as a sidearm drive in disc golf. Because physics stays the same things are the same FH and BH said Dave Feldberg in his clinic. There is a but and it is anatomy which is not the same between the throws. Disc golf steals a lot from other sports with movements. The x step is a mirror image of that of javelin throwers and foot pivot is not that far off of a discus throw except bh it is mirrored. Snapping of the wrist happens in racquet ball, weight shift and so forth. Much of the movements are dictated by human anatomy thus the movements are similar in many sports.

Quick update JR ....last night with about 2-3 hours of field work I had another "aha" moment based on your lesson. Don't pull on the reach back. Kinetic chaining of the different parts. I would very deliberately slow my motions and concentrate on the x step and hip pivot with no arm movement until my front hip began to clear and square up....then snap the shoulder and arm through the hit. My son and I have been only playing for about 10-11 months now but I was trying to show/explain what your lessons mean. I can strong arm a disc to about 300-325'.
Last night I had many drives reach 400+ - flat ground - no wind!! My son crushed several over 350' and we both felt it was almost EFFORTLESS. Thank you again for the tips. We have many players in our local club give advice and try to teach but your explanations have really helped.

Off to AM Worlds this Friday - I hope we can incorporate what we have learned into our game quickly!! Long courses and big wind.

Thank again ~ blue skies

It is a good opportunity to watch competent players so look for similarities in details of throwing technique among good players and see if you can mimic them.

Well great event at World's last week. Well run, incredible competition and I made some great friends. I saw an huge amount diversity in driving techniques. I also seem to have forgotten what I was beginning to pick up right before we left. My driving all week was barely adequate and I was strong-arming most of my throws again. I will begin a new set of field work exercises to try and apply what you are saying.
I've developed some bad habits and will take time to change them. When the pressure was on, 20-30mph winds and tight fairways, I defaulted to my old throw.

Push off the back leg, rotate the hips open, don't pull from the reach back - wait until the front hip clears then snap.

I've only been playing for a couple months, but after I ran across this thread earlier this week, realized that I was strong arming on my throws (about 250ft was as far as I could throw).

Went and did a little field work last night, starting with the right pec drill. Then played a round with some friends and only drove with my Roc3, just concentrating on throwing it straight and making sure I was using my body. I was rewarded with a few drives that were by far the farthest I had ever thrown that Roc.

Just wanted to say thanks to JHern & everyone that contributed to this thread! So glad I found this now before I had years of strong arming habits to break. :lol:

BDA

Thank You so much for this thread! I have to say the little exercise JHern suggested with holding arms limp and rotating lower body really made it click for me how much I was using only my arm! After it clicked I had my best throw on the course and parked the hole at 350', now I can't wait to get out to a field and try throwing. I was maxing out at around 250'(have only played maybe 1 month), and after a few days my shoulder was hurting a bit. Now I realize why! So stoked !
Thanks!