• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth beats Wysocki in their last tournament of year

I think the sudden death at world's is all you need to watch for the argument on who's better. It kind of brings it all to a head. Ricky has a better drive and forehand. He seems to go OB less than Paul and has that high drive down to a science. His forehand is deadly accurate. Paul is just a little better putter. He drains putts from any distance and waits for you to screw up (which Ricky did). Ricky gets crazy hot with a putter but its not the ice cold consistency of McBeth. They are two of the greatest the sport has ever seen and it's gonna be a battle for years to come.

Also I put Simon, John E and Will as the next tier and close behind them is Doss, Rico, Feldberg and the Big Jerm group.

Last edited:
Swing and a miss there dude. I was making an offhanded comment about rivalry, not a valid comparison of one from another sport.

Baseball now?? :D

So you're saying my comparison was valid?!? :hfive:

As far as who will be 3rd behind Paul & Ricky, Simon looks to have all the tools to compete. McBeast & Wysocki are both great putters. Who's the next best putter, and you'll probably have the answer as to who'll be the Player to Nicklaus & Palmer.

dude

Last edited:
I think Paul and Rick are obvious #1 #2 but once you get past that I think you could probably throw 10 names in there as potential #3s.

I'd like to see Bradley Williams continue to challenge them as he did this past weekend. He can be just as dominant as either one of them and his rating would be much higher if he didn't throw with his off hand once out of contention.

I'd like to see Bradley Williams continue to challenge them as he did this past weekend. He can be just as dominant as either one of them and his rating would be much higher if he didn't throw with his off hand once out of contention.

Isn't throwing with your offhand deliberately not giving best effort and equivalent to throwing the round? Aren't there rules against that kind of behavior? Seems odd.

I'd have to say Ullibarri is in the next tier behind Paul and Ricky.
He made a stout showing at Worlds and seems to be somewhat consistent and can also putt from a distance.

Isn't throwing with your offhand deliberately not giving best effort and equivalent to throwing the round? Aren't there rules against that kind of behavior? Seems odd.

I don't know about rules but I think its wickedly smart. It's like putting in a long reliever in baseball when you are down 5+ runs. Why waste your good bullpen arms?

If there were rules on something like this it would be impossible to enforce. What if he was injured? Or what if he just thought that was his best shot? Who's to say... He is probably a 920 golfer throwing left handed

I don't know about rules but I think its wickedly smart. It's like putting in a long reliever in baseball when you are down 5+ runs. Why waste your good bullpen arms?

If there were rules on something like this it would be impossible to enforce. What if he was injured? Or what if he just thought that was his best shot? Who's to say... He is probably a 920 golfer throwing left handed

I think "impossible to enforce" isn't quite true. It would be hard. I am a big fan of the pro tennis tour, which has "best effort" rules. Fines have been given out in the past for people violating this rule.

Edit: and the new 888 rating rule is basically a best effort rule.

Nate moved from Oregon to North Carolina to play more high level tournaments against better competition. Hard to believe there's any other reason for that than touring.

I thought the main reason Nate moved to NC was that his wife is going to med school there. Though I'm sure the availability of DG was a strong factor in their decision.

Nikko? When he's on, he's about as fun to watch as anyone. I would reallycc like to see him put.it all together, including the.mental/emotional part.of.the game.

Plus I miss Cale being at the top tier, too.

I beat Wysocki a couple weeks ago...

...in the first round of the Modesto Central Valley Series tourney(Fall Classic). So did a 14 year-old kid named Michael Molten (Innova should pick him up). Wysocki ended up winning the tourney(94) in a playoff with Chris Adiago, but he didn't beat my record-setting score from last year (88).

Uli is great in the big tournaments but has some bad showing in non Major/A-Tiers. Is it the grind of tour or inconsistent focus?

Nate moved from Oregon to North Carolina to play more high level tournaments against better competition. Hard to believe there's any other reason for that than touring.

Um … Nate moved to NC because his wife was accepted into and enrolled in UNC Med School. I'm sure that the better competition figured into the decision at some level, but it's not the primary reason for moving to NC.

A player throwing with his or her off hand is no different than a player who normally push putts chosing to turbo putt, or a player chosing to lay up instead of running the basket, if the player deems it the best available option.

There are a number of pros who can throw with either hand with only a slight dropoff in distance and accuracy: Chris Sprague, GG, and Nikko are three who spring immediately to mind. (GG cleared the lake throwing both righty and lefty at the USDGC a few years back.)

A player throwing with his or her off hand is no different than a player who normally push putts chosing to turbo putt, or a player chosing to lay up instead of running the basket, if the player deems it the best available option.

There are a number of pros who can throw with either hand with only a slight dropoff in distance and accuracy: Chris Sprague, GG, and Nikko are three who spring immediately to mind. (GG cleared the lake throwing both righty and lefty at the USDGC a few years back.)

thats pretty impressive

Except that in this context it was mentioned that Bradley Williams switches to off hand when he knows he is out of contention. That doesn't sound like choosing the best available option to me.

Pretty sure he moved due to his wife getting into UNC medical school.

Latest posts