• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mcbeth star destroyers

Yesterday I picked up a grand slam. It is the recent 3 line Avery shape and plastic.

I threw a 159 4x McBeth that is the flat wing style, unlike the recent 3 line Avery, similar to Wiggins swirly shape, it was overstable. On a full power downhill throw, I got a little turn and a full fade. All the beef I've ever seen at 159.

I got a lime green, 175g grand slam, and it's the grippiest star plastic I've ever felt, a little bit softer/more rubbery, but similar dome shape to my favorite first runs (perfect, moderate dome, definitely not flat or really pop-top). Only concern may be durability with the plastic, but only time and throws will tell.

I just got 8 Grand Slams in from two different vendors, waiting on another one from a third. So far I'm seeing 3 different styles. I have some from the recent "g-star" soft star with the anhyzer-looking top and a mild dome, some with soft star plastic, with the same top but flat, some with the more sharp wing reminiscent of Destrulcans on the flat side, and some with the Wiggins style top and firm star plastic. Sooo, looks like they are definitely grabbing random stock and stamping them with the Grand Slam stamp.

I got two today, one is 167g (which I'm not complaining about) is this abnormal?

I think more of them are max weight, but a quick eBay search reveals that there are definitely some in the high 160's and low 170's around as well, so it's certainly not unique.

I have a feeling the max weight ones went first. All of mine are 166-171g but I ordered late. I have one more coming from Disc Golf Center that I'm hoping is max weight.

I have a feeling the max weight ones went first. All of mine are 166-171g but I ordered late. I have one more coming from Disc Golf Center that I'm hoping is max weight.
untitledz.jpg
untitledx.jpg

From Innova to vendors...as you can see (read very last sentence), originally, all the Grand Slam Destroyers were to be max weight. I'm thinking they ran through the max weight ones and decided to start stamping lighter ones - unless their own original info was a mistake which I doubt.

untitledz.jpg
untitledx.jpg

From Innova to vendors...as you can see (read very last sentence), originally, all the Grand Slam Destroyers were to be max weight. I'm thinking they ran through the max weight ones and decided to start stamping lighter ones - unless their own original info was a mistake which I doubt.

Where Innova says "limited" above, is that because of the finite quantity of petroleum reserves under the earth's crust? And limited by the fact that it will be replaced ASAP with another limited edition next time McBeth wins something?

For the people who hurried to buy these (4x or GS or both) with the intent of throwing them, was it because there was some chance it would be a new batch that flew better than the previous Avery batch? It sounds like it's actually a hodgepodge of shapes that already existed and discs that had probably already been molded before the stamp change--is that right? Or are these variations that can happen within a batch?

It didn't seem like anyone on this thread thought it likely that the 4x and GS were different batches, vs. The Avery-to-McBeth stamp change--is that right?

I assume this was all more or less rational behavior based on previous Innova patterns and mfring practices?

Confused noob.

For the people who hurried to buy these (4x or GS or both) with the intent of throwing them, was it because there was some chance it would be a new batch that flew better than the previous Avery batch? It sounds like it's actually a hodgepodge of shapes that already existed and discs that had probably already been molded before the stamp change--is that right? Or are these variations that can happen within a batch?

It didn't seem like anyone on this thread thought it likely that the 4x and GS were different batches, vs. The Avery-to-McBeth stamp change--is that right?

Two reasons;

Everything mcbeth touches sells like crazy. The destroyer is one of the most popular molds out there, so it's a double wammy

Its a speculative investment for a lot of people too. In another week or two the grand slams will dry up in availability, and people are hoping that the demand will stay high so they can make money flipping these

Some people were probably thinking it would be a "new" destroyer run. Most people in who truly know destroyers are smarter then that

Yeah that's pretty much it. I think a lot of people bought a couple hoping that it might be a new run in which case they would throw them, but knowing that if it wasn't a new run, they could always flip them and make a couple bucks off the collectors who love everything McBeth.

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I got one that's a sort of standard yellow that feels like regular star (not too soft, but not as stiff as old star); very small dome on it, definitely not flat or Destrulcan. Then I got a couple that are almost fluorescent yellow that are a super grippy blend of star, still not as soft as the GStar-Star from a year or two ago, but really nice feeling and very grippy. They also have a very slight dome with just a tiny bit of pop to it. I think these will actually make great throwers; they feel really great, and I haven't felt a blend of Star quite this grippy before so maybe it's a newer run. I like em!

I ordered a Paul McBeth Grand Slam, max weight, Destroyer today. Hoping it is super overstable, cuz my current one is starting to wear in, and I need a very OS driver for some holes. Then I got 167g AJ as well. Hoping to be able to turn that a bit without too much anny, and get better distance.

I've kinda decided to make the Dstroyer the disc I try to get over the 325 range with, but it is kind of late for me at 46 to be thinking I can get more distance. I can crank them with Anny both back and forehand and get extra distance, so maybe I can develop that. Of course, the real answer is work in the field and develop perfect form, but my life doesn't allow for that kind of time. We will see ;)

Last edited:
I ordered a Paul McBeth Grand Slam, max weight, Destroyer today. Hoping it is super overstable, cuz my current one is starting to wear in, and I need a very OS driver for some holes. Then I got 167g AJ as well. Hoping to be able to turn that a bit without too much anny, and get better distance.

I've kinda decided to make the Dstroyer the disc I try to get over the 325 range with, but it is kind of late for me at 46 to be thinking I can get more distance. I can crank them with Anny both back and forehand and get extra distance, so maybe I can develop that. Of course, the real answer is work in the field and develop perfect form, but my life doesn't allow for that kind of time. We will see ;)

I think at 300-350 power the Destroyer is not the best disc to get distance with. It will just want to find the ground pretty fast (unless you're working with really beat in Destroyers).

I'd say at that distance, the only Destroyers worth checking out for distance are the flippy Echostars, GStars, or possibly the Star Destrulcans. What most people consider "normal" or "good" Destroyers are going to be total meat hooks under 350 feet. With lots of OAT, they might turn some, but OAT is also going to kill your distance potential and make your throws inconsistent.

I know some older players with slower arm speeds, and mostly they throw Star or GStar Terns to get good, consistent distance with slower arm speeds. That's what I'd check out if I were in that boat.

I'd say at that distance, the only Destroyers worth checking out for distance are the flippy Echostars, GStars, or possibly the Star Destrulcans. What most people consider "normal" or "good" Destroyers are going to be total meat hooks under 350 feet. With lots of OAT, they might turn some, but OAT is also going to kill your distance potential and make your throws inconsistent.

I know some older players with slower arm speeds, and mostly they throw Star or GStar Terns to get good, consistent distance with slower arm speeds. That's what I'd check out if I were in that boat.

Yep, Tern is my main distance driver currently, but I've found I can put a lot of snap on a Destroyer with some Anny and get more distance consistently and my Control isn't that bad. So I'm going to play with that for a bit on really wide open holes.

Sometimes I want the turn and S shape of the Tern. Sometimes I don't want any understable turn, and want to crank it as hard as I can with some anny.

Anyway, point taken. I should stick to Speed 9, or probably putters and mids if I really want to improve...

Yep, Tern is my main distance driver currently, but I've found I can put a lot of snap on a Destroyer with some Anny and get more distance consistently and my Control isn't that bad. So I'm going to play with that for a bit on really wide open holes.

Sometimes I want the turn and S shape of the Tern. Sometimes I don't want any understable turn, and want to crank it as hard as I can with some anny.

Anyway, point taken. I should stick to Speed 9, or probably putters and mids if I really want to improve...

You can also try the Krait if you like the faster stuff but want less play than the Tern. It doesn't have as much side to side movement as a Tern.

Pro destroyers are awesome for people with less power. One of my buddies takes all my pros from me after they get too flippy for me and they are perfect for him at 300-350 power

Pro destroyers are awesome for people with less power. One of my buddies takes all my pros from me after they get too flippy for me and they are perfect for him at 300-350 power

Ya, the first time I really got into Destroyers I bought a beat one at a Garage sale and found it flew farther than anything else in my bag. Problem was when I lost it, the new Destroyer I bought was ... different. Now I kind of appreciate the overstableness though, at least I'm not turning it over ;)

Just snagged a pair of 159 star 4x destroyers. It was supposed to be a quick in-and-out mission to order a pair of star 158 TeeBirds until I saw the Destroyers. I am very curious to see what they fly like. I find it a little peculiar that they (Innova) regularly produce many of their top molds in star, starlite, or both below 160 grams yet not with their destroyer mold.

I have to say the star plastic on the max weight gran slams is awesome must be a new run, perfect stiffness, perfect grip, great destroyer shape I hope this star plastic stays around!

The lightweight grand slams are not from the new run IMO I went through 50 and all max weights were identical and perfect and the light ones had softer star with the flat wing.