• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mediocrefellow's Woods Bag - Should I substitute anything?

Thats a tough call... I didn't get on with my theory very well.. It was alright but nothing my Tangent/ Comet combo couldn't do. I have a 174 and 179 Vertex I wouldn't go lighter... I also have about 5 Tangents in various wear so I didn't need the theory.. For that matter I'm not really bagging the Vertex right now either but I do like it. I'm double bagging Spins, Envys, Switches, Inertias and Relays for practice..

New idea: My proton tangent does a slow controlled turnover and hyzer flip straight tunnels quite well, wonder if a signal would suit those tight backhand dogleg right better than an US mid, then use tangent for straight and slight turns and hyzers and a vector for longer straight tunnels, long hyzer and mild flex shots, then entropy for the rest. Or would an anode do that and then use a relay perhaps or a powered down signal? And if any of these combos work which plastics would be ideal?

New idea: My proton tangent does a slow controlled turnover and hyzer flip straight tunnels quite well, wonder if a signal would suit those tight backhand dogleg right better than an US mid, then use tangent for straight and slight turns and hyzers and a vector for longer straight tunnels, long hyzer and mild flex shots, then entropy for the rest. Or would an anode do that and then use a relay perhaps or a powered down signal? And if any of these combos work which plastics would be ideal?

Well if you haven't checked out a Relay start there....

If your Tangent is good for flipping and you are grooving with it consider a backup.. I used to throw 170 Neutron Tangents well I still do but I got a heavy 178 Neutron and it's straighter out of the box it also has some dome, the others are flat. You want more beef on your Tangent go eclipse.. Thats assuming you like them. I love them for tunnel shots or the "I don't know" range, I also use the 178 as my wind putter... but I also loved the feel from day one and it's my utility mid so I'm biased.

If you are trying to shape a deep anhyzer line that's where I like the Vertex my 178 one is very close to my flippier 170 Tangent with more opportunity to turn anny and hold the height without burning. I'm kind of a mold hopper to the extreme but I rarely bag two MVP molds that are beside each other on the chart.

Add the Relay, you should have stable mids covered and consider what you need for Anhyzer duties.. Short range I love a 165 proton Spin or 174 Vertex similar flights.. Better distance on Vertex but easy to turn an electron Spin over.

Driverwise.. I use a Vanish to complement the Inertia, I tried the Signal and Orbital... still trying an Insanity..

Last edited:
Well if you haven't checked out a Relay start there....

If your Tangent is good for flipping and you are grooving with it consider a backup.. I used to throw 170 Neutron Tangents well I still do but I got a heavy 178 Neutron and it's straighter out of the box it also has some dome, the others are flat. You want more beef on your Tangent go eclipse.. Thats assuming you like them. I love them for tunnel shots or the "I don't know" range, I also use the 178 as my wind putter... but I also loved the feel from day one and it's my utility mid so I'm biased.

If you are trying to shape a deep anhyzer line that's where I like the Vertex my 178 one is very close to my flippier 170 Tangent with more opportunity to turn anny and hold the height without burning. I'm kind of a mold hopper to the extreme but I rarely bag two MVP molds that are beside each other on the chart.

Add the Relay, you should have stable mids covered and consider what you need for Anhyzer duties.. Short range I love a 165 proton Spin or 174 Vertex similar flights.. Better distance on Vertex but easy to turn an electron Spin over.

Driverwise.. I use a Vanish to complement the Inertia, I tried the Signal and Orbital... still trying an Insanity..

There is one hole in particular that I am able to throw fairly well if I can hit a 20ft gap with low ceiling about 75-100' away that doglegs right and carries on for 200 before another sharp left to the basket. Ideally something with a late high speed turn that can handle 90 degrees without burning and enough fad to flatten out and carry a bit before settling on the fairway without needing a ton of air under it or room after the turn to fade back neutral is what I'm after. Mamba needed too much height as did the archer and comet but just lost my comet and despite loving the flight of it have always hated the feel of it in hand. The tangent is the only disc so far ive had some mild success with but it's proton 178 and a bit hard to turn so can occasionally fight out early to disaster and put me in the opposite direction in the tree prison if I dont give it enough snap. Something like the tangent with more glide would be nice, and a bit less HSS and maybe the same LSS would be ideal.

Just found an unmarked mayhem in plasma. Havent had a chance to throw it in daylight but imagine it will overlap my excite too much to bag :/ proton Vanish, proton envy, neutron vector, SE entropy, and lat 64 zion are all in the mail. Ill be able to evaluate holes better when they arrive but I know I need a mid range in the same vein as a panther for the woods and can hold an anny all the way if forced a bit but also fight out flat with touch. Love my sting for th elate HS turn but most overmolds have that quiality which is why I fell in love with them to start with lol Also a speed 11-13 for head winds that will still net some big distance. Those are trhe only 2 slots I'm concerned about at the moment, and want to get the most versatility without forcing discs to act in ways they dont agree with. I'm a mold moderate kinda guy I guess. I'd rather change weights and plastics of a mold than beat them in. Lots of discs arent readily available to me in the mountains so when I get something I like I try and stick with it, but the woods means lots of lost discs so can't rely too heavily on a specific one.

There is one hole in particular that I am able to throw fairly well if I can hit a 20ft gap with low ceiling about 75-100' away that doglegs right and carries on for 200 before another sharp left to the basket. Ideally something with a late high speed turn that can handle 90 degrees without burning and enough fad to flatten out and carry a bit before settling on the fairway without needing a ton of air under it or room after the turn to fade back neutral is what I'm after. e.

Well I hate to steer you away from MVP or a Comet but if you get a chance to feel up a Tursas preferably in tournament plastic it sounds like the best Disc to fit the bill.. It is like a broken in ESP Comet less HSS in a good way and a late fade that can be predictably used or overpowered. Feels slimmer and sleeker in the hand. Comet glide, big wing and it's interchangeable with my Comets.

I'm a fan of Tangent (small wing less glide) and Comet/ Tursas (big wing) as my overlapping mid combo. Tangent downhill or straight and Comet if I want a deeper hyzer or anhyzer shot, use that bigger wing for the glide. See how it goes with the Vector.... and any other Tangent you pick up other than eclipse will have less stability.. I haven't tried a plasma yet myself..

Sounds like someone's got plastic fever ;)

Last edited:
Well I hate to steer you away from MVP or a Comet but if you get a chance to feel up a Tursas preferably in tournament plastic it sounds like the best Disc to fit the bill.. It is like a broken in ESP Comet less HSS in a good way and a late fade that can be predictably used or overpowered. Feels slimmer and sleeker in the hand. Comet glide, big wing and it's interchangeable with my Comets.

I'm a fan of Tangent (small wing less glide) and Comet/ Tursas (big wing) as my overlapping mid combo. Tangent downhill or straight and Comet if I want a deeper hyzer or anhyzer shot, use that bigger wing for the glide. See how it goes with the Vector.... and any other Tangent you pick up other than eclipse will have less stability.. I haven't tried a plasma yet myself..

Sounds like someone's got plastic fever ;)

Lol I HAD it pretty bad, have a tonne of plastic, know most of it fairly well because I do a lot of field work and throw everything I have on every line I can think of but really fell for the feel of mvp discs and overmold in general. Went from carrying a bag of 25-30 discs down to 7-8 mvp/axiom which has helped my game a lot. Hoping to put together a bag of <15 to know intimately and my OCD wants it to be brand specific lol

So I think I'll pick up a vertex and hit the course today with it. From what I've read it may be what I'm looking for unless I can find a less stable tangent, which I agree has the amazing feel in the hand. Relay is looking like a good prospect as well. What are your thoughts in the proxy with my current setup?

Had so,me time with the neutron vertex today and glad I went with it. It does pretty much exactly what i want in terms of turnover but the woods will be the real test lol. Hoping when I get back home that my entropy is waiting because my game suffers immensely without my zone as a workhorse FH approach disc lol

d. Relay is looking like a good prospect as well. What are your thoughts in the proxy with my current setup?

S*** a Proxy is going to mess it all up haha. Some people like them, love them... again not a disc I clicked with... I have a 170 Plasma and it's nice but something about the rim it feels wider than the Envy.. It was a mold I hopped.. I usually have a Tangent and it covers the same shots. Putting I didn't feel like it held the height very well especially anhyzer, I prefer my Spin... but it's a good Disc just redundant for me.

My bag anchors are the 165-167 Plasma Envy, 170 N Tangent and/or 174 glo Comet, 165 Spin and Switch..
Inertia is always up on the list too.. And fission Photon 143..

Glad you like the Vertex, I don't like to tell people I like it in case they don't. :). Kinda like the Switch..

If you need something different from your Envy the Atom is the next step down in Neutron.. Atom in electron is Proxy country.. It's an excellent one mold putter choice because of the flight variations between plastics but again not for me.. I got 18 Envys ones a custom dye and I'm scared to dabble.

S*** a Proxy is going to mess it all up haha. Some people like them, love them... again not a disc I clicked with... I have a 170 Plasma and it's nice but something about the rim it feels wider than the Envy.. It was a mold I hopped.. I usually have a Tangent and it covers the same shots. Putting I didn't feel like it held the height very well especially anhyzer, I prefer my Spin... but it's a good Disc just redundant for me.

My bag anchors are the 165-167 Plasma Envy, 170 N Tangent and/or 174 glo Comet, 165 Spin and Switch..
Inertia is always up on the list too.. And fission Photon 143..

Glad you like the Vertex, I don't like to tell people I like it in case they don't. :). Kinda like the Switch..

If you need something different from your Envy the Atom is the next step down in Neutron.. Atom in electron is Proxy country.. It's an excellent one mold putter choice because of the flight variations between plastics but again not for me.. I got 18 Envys ones a custom dye and I'm scared to dabble.

So here's the list of potentials, what should i throw in a bag to cover both the woods and a big open course?

elec anode
elec envy
prot envy
neut vertex
prot tangent
neut vector
neut relay
plasma amp
plasma volt
neut inertia
prot tesla
neut virus
prot vanish
neut fireball
neut excite

Well, I finally got my hands on some MVP/Axiom overmold discs... Wow...

Thinking of a bag setup like this:

Putting - Anode
Driving Putter - Envy
Mid - Tangent / Entropy
Fairway - Volt / Amp
Control Distance - Tangent / Inertia
Max Distance - Excite

Thoughts? I'm not TOO familiar with the lineups so suggestions are welcome.

You pretty much had it right the first time haha.. Add a Relay probably the Vertex at this point and whatever else you want! I play with a double Nutsac usually 8 or 9 discs..

If you are at the crossroads with your putter try a couple different ones, if you're happy with the Anode then plan on committing to it. If you haven't tried a lighter envy check it out but that's my bias... that electron one should get sweet and straight fast.. I really like my plasmas.. They hit the middle ground between electron and proton but I sure notice a difference when I mix other plastics into my putting routine. I bagged an Anode for years but really didn't need it when I got the Tangent (120-220'). My electron soft 165 Envys are lasers at 200' BH, but again I pack a Tangent.

I didn't click with the Vector I expected it to handle OAT better for FH's that's a limitation of gyro hence the Entropy excitement. The other spot where gyro comes up short is an understable disc so the Vertex does that we'll. Depending on the weight it will also do 100'+ comfortably.

The fireball will likely fit in your bag too.. And either the Vanish or Virus. As far as I can tell you've pretty much sampled the best.. Fission Photons are cool in a very unique way... light weight is still stable but not windproof.

Last edited:
Yeah the fireball flies a nice controllable thumber for me but significantly more distance than my beat esp predator likely because its more OS at this point. I find the proton tesla to give me a similar distance to the pred with a thumber which is a nice compliment.

I really love the electron envy, only problem is the sheer amount of trees and narrow fairways on the home course. I've never seen anyone play 9 holes without a few solid whacks minimum and the proton seemed like an obvious choice for a driving putter (reserving the electron for windy day putting).

Havent tried the tensor yet but my first 3 discs were a pro d crush, flat z buzz, and a soft x challenger so I expect it will click well with my since I keep a cycle of wasps close by despite trying to give the buzzz a fair chance (x was disappointing - z I like but not as much as my beat z wasp and although I love my beat esp buzzz it looks like the forest floor so need to grab a new color). I'm a big fan on the drone as well since Hornets just don't do it for me either. My tangent is dark blue proton so I'm hesitant to throw it in the woods more than I need after losing the first purple one on the first round. I may look into another plastic for it.

I think the tangent will bridge the gap between the envy and the vertex for me. Stable and straight with a slight turnover but less distance than my vertex (overshot a few baskets today because that thing soars for a mid lol)

As far as a go to putter I'm def at a crossroads haha. Right now its between the jawbreaker challenger, dx aviar p&a, SS wizards, electron anode, and the recently discovered xt nova which I didnt want to like but is probably the most consistent for me in the circle so far and feels great to my hand. The anode will chain out on me occasionally but the nova just sticks to everythk ng and the harder plate releases cleanly when my fingers bounce off of it. Going to settle this issue pretty soon I hope, I've been holding up the 100 putts a day easily with homemade baskets and have been really trying to zero in which putter I want to be "the one" lol. Also much easier for me to replace in any event.

Don't bother with the Tensor.. It's crap haha.. MVP has really cropped themselves on OS mids, hence the Entropy/ Deflector. I think the Alias or Matrix is a good solid mid.. I haven't thrown either but I just had a Matrix show up. Actually I did throw one of a buddy's a few times. Buzzz kinda stable maybe a touch more.. Buy it or anything before a Tensor. An Axis is good too, think Buzzz/ stable Comet hybrid. An Axis breaks into a Tangent flight +25'...

MVP putting tip try just a touch of hyzer it will stick more often. Yeah putters are tough to iron out, start with what feels good in the hand... eliminate anything that doesnt.

Don't bother with the Tensor.. It's crap haha.. MVP has really cropped themselves on OS mids, hence the Entropy/ Deflector. I think the Alias or Matrix is a good solid mid.. I haven't thrown either but I just had a Matrix show up. Actually I did throw one of a buddy's a few times. Buzzz kinda stable maybe a touch more.. Buy it or anything before a Tensor. An Axis is good too, think Buzzz/ stable Comet hybrid. An Axis breaks into a Tangent flight +25'...

MVP putting tip try just a touch of hyzer it will stick more often. Yeah putters are tough to iron out, start with what feels good in the hand... eliminate anything that doesnt.

Ive been reading good things about the matrix and the axis. Has me interested but in all honesty With the envy being so long and the vertex being almost a fairway and the amp and volt being almost control distance drivers I don't think a longer mid has room in my bag lol if anything I need something a bit shorter.

In the woods I like to have a disc with high fade and some HS turn so I can get creative with it - in the open I think something like a wombat3 or mako3 is what I would grab the most. Just a disc that you can throw directly at the target at 75% power and have it flip up completely straight and barely fade if at all.

BUT no matter where I play I almost exclusively use a zone as an approach disc and often forehand. Haven't played enough with the envy to have anywhere near the same accuracy.

Good thing my SE Entropy was waiting in the mailbox when I got home... :thmbup: To a snowstorm... :wall:

Man what a beautiful disc/stamp! And I daresay BH it may feel even better than a zone...

Well I'm glad to hear from a Zone guy that it feels good.. That's the disc I'm trying to replace.

Seriously research the Tensor.. I think it's the most hated MVP disc ever made! I thought it was a putter with the goofy bottom rim.. I'm really hoping the Entropy fills the bill for you, and me with a little turn and some decent fade.

I'm really glad you dig the Vertex it's not a huge favourite online.. Damn torque monkeys.. Hey how heavy is the one you got?

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to hear from a Zone guy that it feels good.. That's the disc I'm trying to replace.

Seriously research the Tensor.. I think it's the most hated MVP disc ever made! I thought it was a putter with the goofy bottom rim.. I'm really hoping the Entropy fills the bill for you, and me with a little turn and some decent fade.

I'm really glad you dig the Vertex it's not a huge favourite online.. Damn torque monkeys.. Hey how heavy is the one you got?

Zone is the best disc ever made in my opinion. I have a feeling that the entropy wont be quite as stable. I often throw a Z FLX Zone for approaches but if I need more distance I'll use a beat jawbreaker that has a bit of turn. Im guessing the entropy to be more like a beat JB zone than a super beefy Z flx or pro D even but I have made many nice shots with a jawbreaker zone as well so Im really wanting the snow to go away soon so I can throw the damn thing...

Mine is a 176g yellow skulboy stamped neutron vertex and It's got a great flight. I have a bit of OAT in my throw as well but not enough to turn it over without wanting to. It's just enough that I can release at a bit of a hyzer and have it turn just maybe 10-15 degrees and hold that line to the ground. Made a few beautiful long glidy shots with it yesterday that were too far to reach with my forehand and parked right by the basket so I'm certainly a fan of the vertex. I throw a lot of putters and playeg with nothing fast than a mid all through the winter (too hard to find a driver) putters were less likely to travel under the snow so it was out of necessity but it helped my game a tonne.

I think my relay is going to be coming in at 168g which is usually my sweet spot for drivers even though most of my discs are in the 170's due to lack of selection around here. Hopefully will make it nice and controllable for me since I can't turn my amp over without really pulling on it. It just has a very straight flight with very minimal fade which is a beautiful thing to watch lol

Yeah my weight seems to be 166 or 155 from lack of selection but it's been a good weight for me for drivers.. I swear some of the lighter stuff is more stable

Well if you want something like a Wraith but better in 155 check out a Photon fission... everything you thought you wanted for a light weight FB, Flick 150 etc but more manageable.. Tesla kind of flight I'm told.. I hope you're getting some overtime cash or 5% nightshift premium.

Latest posts