• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Memphis Noob...

Alberich10025

...in every sense of the word!

Hi guys,

I've just started getting into the sport (first 18 was at Meeman-Shelby this past weekend), and I'm having a blast. I have so much more enthusiasm than skill (truly, I aspire to be terrible at this point), but think that a little practice will soon see me through to adequate.

My biggest questions, at least at this point, have to do with terminology (where do I find layman-level definitions of hyzer, flip, etc) and good learning resources. After all, there are millions of youtube videos out there--how do I know which to pay attention to?

Regardless, I look forward to years of fun as well as enjoying the community here.

Best,
Alberich

From one noob to another, welcome! There's a ton of information here, pretty awesome stuff. From what I gather, like most things on youtube, you have to pick through the crap, well maybe not crap, but lesser quality videos. I look for videos put out by some of the larger disc manufacturers, they usually have sponsored athletes that put out some videos. There was also quite a few mentioned on here, if I can find them I'll post the link.

Thanks, Mark! I'll look through that. You're absolutely right, part of the problem is that there's just so much information out there.

Enjoy Rowlett--when I left Garland, Rowlett was just a sleepy little town. Hear it's gotten much bigger in the past 20 years!

Best,
Alberich

Thanks, Mark! I'll look through that. You're absolutely right, part of the problem is that there's just so much information out there.

Enjoy Rowlett--when I left Garland, Rowlett was just a sleepy little town. Hear it's gotten much bigger in the past 20 years!

Best,
Alberich

Definitely, I grew up in Mesquite and remember driving down 30 and there was nothing out here but highway and lake, now it's grown in to quite a little city.

Welcome to DGCR from an exMemphian and now in Central MS. I have played Shelby Forrest many times in the past. Try the course in Horn Lake, they have 2 now and if you want a tight wooded course to work on aim, I learned to play at Wall Doxey in Holly Springs, they have 2 courses as well.

For a nice beginner course try the park in Southaven, not too complicated overall.

As for definitions some are harder to get a true explanation of. I had the hardest time finding a good video or definition of a hyzer flip and the few videos I did find about it the disc was so far away from the camera you couldn't see what it was doing. Turnover was a hard one as well because to many people use the word as the definition such as "to throw a disc where it turns over". My questions were such as "In what direction (BH/FH), how soon, whats the end result (such as it becomes a roller or it crashes and burns), How do you make it/not make it do that"?

Understand that many of us started playing without resources for improving ourselves such as DGCR and YouTube (plus all the other great resources out there) so the technical side came later. We just threw discs and tried to repeat what did best. That being said keep reading and try and hook up with a local group that can teach you along the way. You average disc golfer wont mind playing a round or so with you and that can help out a lot.

Do take advantage of what you learn here as after a 6 year break I am now trying to get back into dg and trying to unlearn bad habits from when I first started.

You guys won't be disappointed. I found this place a while back, and the information and advice here has been invaluable to my development.

Oh, and never trust a forum Robot. They're nothing but trouble.

Latest posts