• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mental Putting

It might sound weird and counter productive but what I do is kind of get mad at myself. A lot of putting is not worrying about what will happen if you miss because if you do you'll throw a weak putt and more than likely you'll get off line. So what I do is kind of yell at myself (in my head of course) "Don't be a wuss (i generally use a more harsh word) and just throw it in already!" After that I just line up and throw like I should and it seems to be working out. I do this because it can be easy to become scared of failing so if you just tell yourself something that helps you not worry about failing then you won't.

I doinked a drop-in yesterday so I don't know if any of this mental stuff is worth the paper it's printed on ...

... one more to go and i'm a birdie!

... i'm a-gonna wait for a good one and just keep editing this one until it rolls around.

... does this qualify as a threadjack?

... LOL and ROFLMFAO - somebody give me a beer!

It's like with a lake hole.

If you think... "don't throw it in the lake, don't throw it in the lake, don't throw it in the lake." You will throw it in the lake. You have to think, "I'm going to throw it on the green." And then picture yourself throwing on the green.

Same for putting. Go through your routine, get your footing right, and envision yourself making the putt.

Rattle Rattle

It might sound weird and counter productive but what I do is kind of get mad at myself. A lot of putting is not worrying about what will happen if you miss because if you do you'll throw a weak putt and more than likely you'll get off line. So what I do is kind of yell at myself (in my head of course) "Don't be a wuss (i generally use a more harsh word) and just throw it in already!" After that I just line up and throw like I should and it seems to be working out. I do this because it can be easy to become scared of failing so if you just tell yourself something that helps you not worry about failing then you won't.

Let me know if you need some external help with that buddy! Seriously though, isn't that what we do a lot of times if we miss a putt we should have hit and then pick up the closest disc and just fire it in? On the one hand we're relaxed because we already missed the one that counted so we can "fire with impunity" but on the other hand we're angry at having missed so we fire with the kind of intensity that looks like we're trying to break chains.

Putting just seems to be one of those things in sports that takes the right amount of intensity, the right amount of calm and sprinkled liberally all over with confidence.

After practicing in my yard (throwing at a lawn chair), I tried something of a pre-putt routine. I grip my putter ready to throw and make the arm motions of putting without releasing the disc. I think I already did this because it felt very comfortable but now i do it conciously. And it really did help my putting game! played 3 rounds and didn't miss anything over 15' (which is a substantial improvement for me!)

Okay, i have been playing for over a month now and I putt with a 167g DX Aviar. Recently i have started having anxiety about putting inside 20'. Not full on anxiety attacks but enough to freak myself out of some very close ones (I missed a 10' putt by about 10' yesterday).

Any advice or tips that could help me cool myself down before putting?

drink beer...you wont care if you make it or not:D

After practicing in my yard (throwing at a lawn chair), I tried something of a pre-putt routine. I grip my putter ready to throw and make the arm motions of putting without releasing the disc. I think I already did this because it felt very comfortable but now i do it conciously. And it really did help my putting game! played 3 rounds and didn't miss anything over 15' (which is a substantial improvement for me!)
thats how i putt , one or two circles then throw without ever stopping motion , keeps me from locking up and lets me get a little more pop.

i guess for me its more of a routine than ritual kinda like the two shakes at the stall joke anymore than two and your just ........, i always felt rituals are bad just another thing you can screw up and have to go over when your not doing something right.

My buddy brought some out to towne lake the other day..funny funny

Latest posts