• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Merrell shoe opinions

I've scouted out a TON of different Merrells and found a few things... but it also leads me to a couple of questions for those who have a lot of experience with em.

They have two distinct shapes to their trail shoes. There's the rounded shape, which is more like the Chameleons and Intercepts. There's the straighter shape, which is more like the Moabs, Outland, etc. If your feet flare out towards the front of the foot, you will be much better off with the rounded shape. If your feet are pretty much a straight line, you will probably do better with the straighter shape. If you have a wide, flared foot and go with something that has a lot of mesh (such as the Moabs), I don't foresee them lasting very long for disc golf.

Also, the sole stiffness varies a ton by model. The more expensive Merrells tend to have stiffer soles and a much sturdier footbed.

I suffered 3rd degree sprains to both ankles and feet playing sports in high school and I had fairly wide feet to begin with. Due to the loss of ligaments, my arches collapse completely when I set my foot down. When I'm not standing, my left foot is a EE width and my right foot is an E width. When I stand, my left foot goes to a EEEEE, and my right foot goes to an EEE. I've found the straighter Merrells are uncomfortable when new and break in will involve busting out the sides of the shoe (which will lead to quick breakdown/tearing). The other stupid thing is that I have to go with medium width shoes or they won't hold my arches up (even with orthopedic inserts). Last sept I picked up a pair of Chameleon 3 Ventilator GTX. After wearing them every day and being on my feet for 4+ hours for a year, everything is intact but the sides have started to stretch out quite a bit and because of that they are losing support. Sadly, the Chameleon 3's standard shoes are discontinued (while you can still get stretches).

Does anyone know which models have a similar fit? I picked up a couple of pairs of Intercepts on clearance and the fit is close, but I can tell they are going to stretch in the same spots faster than my Chameleons did. The Chameleon 4's fit closer to the Refuge, which falls somewhere between the Moab and Chameleon. My foot won't even fit into the Chameleon 3 Stretch, so those are a no go.

To add, I don't use these for disc golf, just for day to day use. My skeleton and muscles have adjusted to a high level of support and now I feel miserable if I spend a day in shoes with poor support.

On a side note, if you live near a Cabelas, they are clearancing several models of Merrell (both in store and on the website but the site is pretty much out of em now). On the site they had the Intercept Urban for $49, the Seismic for $39, and the Pantheon for $39. Went to a physical store the other day and they had an extra 40% off clearance tags (although the base price was higher). They had Intercept GTX's for $54, Chameleon 3 Ventilator GTX's for $54, Seismic for $36, Pantheon for $36, as well as a few others but their sizes were extremely limited.

pointdisc said:
I've gone through both the stretch 2 & 3 chamelleons. The 2's were far superior for durability, I got about 2 years of dg out of them. The 3's are another story... Picked up the pair this spring and after a couple of months the stitching inside behind the heel pulled apart & the padding came out along with the sole separating about 2/3 up towards the toe. Both versions were super comfortable, though a bit heavy.

How are the intercepts holding up for you rusch? Probably going that route soon.

pd

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Mine are still perfect. And blake, I don't have that much knowledge on feet and shoes so this is probably worthless but my intercepts have been nice. Hope you figure something out.

Thanks.

What I've run into is that the rounded Merrells are some of the first shoes I've found that actually fit my foot and retain support after they break in. I tried on some of the upper level Keens but they fit my foot like crap. No arch support and tons of pressure on the outer edge of the foot = they are going to stretch out really quickly and won't hold the arch up (correctly) even with the inserts.

A friend of mine also picked up a pair of the Cham 3 ventilators and he's finding a world of difference when he's at work. no leg fatigue but it's forcing him to improve his posture or his back gets sore.

an example of rounded vs. straight:

rounded:
260378_0_46

straight:
270099_0_46

Interesting... I like the Moab Ventilator even though my feet are sort of duck-shaped. I can't wear most other trail runners because they are all too pointy. The Moab last is a pretty good fit, though I have to buy them a bit big and keep the lacing relaxed down at the toe end. I tried Stretch Chameleons on one time and didn't like the stretch aspect, so I don't remember how they fit otherwise. I have been meaning to try on a pair of Teva Riva at some point as I've heard they are a good fit for this foot shape (my feet are normal width except at the forefoot).

Mike C said:
I forgot if I posted about this here or not. I had Chameleon Stretch 3's that I thought were the perfect dry weather DG shoe but 6 months later they were coming apart in ways I know they shouldn't. I contacted customer service and they had me mail them back, and less than 2 weeks later (They said allow 4 weeks for processing) I got a brand new pair of black chameleon 4's in the mail. That says a hell of a lot to me about the company. Gonna go try out the 4's today (Never knew a 4th revision existed) and see how they feel.

Just had to give Mike C props on the avatar. One of the best stoner rock albums to date......

Interesting... I like the Moab Ventilator even though my feet are sort of duck-shaped. I can't wear most other trail runners because they are all too pointy. The Moab last is a pretty good fit, though I have to buy them a bit big and keep the lacing relaxed down at the toe end. I tried Stretch Chameleons on one time and didn't like the stretch aspect, so I don't remember how they fit otherwise. I have been meaning to try on a pair of Teva Riva at some point as I've heard they are a good fit for this foot shape (my feet are normal width except at the forefoot).

The Moabs have a lot of stretch in the sidewalls. You can see this as a good or bad thing. In my case I want the shoe sidewalls to hold the foot bones inwards and use inserts to hold the arch up (and slope of the foot), so stretch is bad. Keep in mind stretch and break-in are different things. If your foot always has pinch points in shoes, the stretch will alleviate these. The downside is that if you get significant bursting of the sidewalls just above the sole, you will likely wear them out faster and they won't give as good of support in the long run.

Another thing I've found is that really expensive merrells ($125+) have a different, more rigid footbed than the cheaper ones. They'll give more support and last longer, but imo, they are probably worse for disc golfing. my Chameleon ventilators I've been wearing for a year still have no flex in the sole at all.

"The downside is that you get significant bursting of the sidewalls just above the sole"

This is the reason I'll never buy Merells again, the shoes detach from the sole in no time. I've tried 3 different styles and this happened to every pair within the first month or two. I'm done with Merrells. The Columbia trail runners I'm wearing now were much cheaper and are going on 4 months with no problems.

I can see it being a problem with mesh. by "bursting" i don't mean actual tearing, moreso overt stretching that kills the support and eventually will lead to tearing/separation. the tearing usually happens with a mesh-based upper, especially if it uses nylon "strap" type material to hold it in. either way, if the shoe does this due to wide feet, they aren't going to last very long.

I had a pair of columbias last 2 disc golf seasons. sadly, the support was gone after 2 months but they lasted until I wore through the bottom sole.

MR. WICK said:
"The downside is that you get significant bursting of the sidewalls just above the sole"

This is the reason I'll never buy Merells again, the shoes detach from the sole in no time. I've tried 3 different styles and this happened to every pair within the first month or two. I'm done with Merrells. The Columbia trail runners I'm wearing now were much cheaper and are going on 4 months with no problems.

Which columbia trail runners did you get?

I just bought a pair of Patagonia Tsalis and they feel amazing on my feet. I do have wide feet and they do bulge the mesh out the slightest bit on the outside right below the front of my ankle but the shoe seems designed for that, the padding in the shoe actually goes off the side of the sole so I'm guessing they designed it this way because the shoe naturally bulges out right there. I took them for a jog around a neighborhood and I really like how the front is nice wide so the front of my foot doesn't feel cramped like it does in most trail running shoes; they also have super good support in the heel.

new013 said:
MR. WICK said:

I just bought a pair of Patagonia Tsalis and they feel amazing on my feet. I do have wide feet and they do bulge the mesh out the slightest bit on the outside right below the front of my ankle but the shoe seems designed for that, the padding in the shoe actually goes off the side of the sole so I'm guessing they designed it this way because the shoe naturally bulges out right there. I took them for a jog around a neighborhood and I really like how the front is nice wide so the front of my foot doesn't feel cramped like it does in most trail running shoes; they also have super good support in the heel.

These are the ones I have:
columbia_wallawalla_mens_mud_daiquiri.jpg

They made it all summer for me and are still holding up well. They were $55 at Cabellas when I got them.
I think they are called "Wallawalas". They aren't gore-tex or water proof, but I have socks and boots for that.

MR. WICK said:
new013 said:
MR. WICK said:

These are the ones I have:
columbia_wallawalla_mens_mud_daiquiri.jpg

They made it all summer for me and are still holding up well. They were $55 at Cabellas when I got them.
I think they are called "Wallawalas". They aren't gore-tex or water proof, but I have socks and boots for that.

they look like they have good support and I always try to get shoes with that front toe protector

Mike C said:
I forgot if I posted about this here or not. I had Chameleon Stretch 3's that I thought were the perfect dry weather DG shoe but 6 months later they were coming apart in ways I know they shouldn't. I contacted customer service and they had me mail them back, and less than 2 weeks later (They said allow 4 weeks for processing) I got a brand new pair of black chameleon 4's in the mail. That says a hell of a lot to me about the company. Gonna go try out the 4's today (Never knew a 4th revision existed) and see how they feel.
Same here. My Chameleon 3's had the sole on the right foot shred within like 4 months. I just mailed them off today for an exchange.

Since then I've bought a mid and low top version of the Moab Ventilators and they've held up pretty well. The low top one I got in 12w (I have wide feet) and they were so damn comfortable. Unfortunately, I've disced so much in them that I've grated off the little knobs of rubber tread where I pivot on the right shoe. So now my right foot sits lower than the other and I have a slight limp when I walk. :|

I wear the Moabs with Gore Tex. They're extremely comfortable, but not very durable over the long term. I wear them exclusively for disc golf.

I had my first pair for about 6-7 months before the sole started to separate from the body of the shoe at the toe. I contacted Merrill, sent them back, and got a new pair after a couple of weeks. I was pretty pleased with that, but next time I have to shell out cash I'm thinking of trying another brand if I can find one that's got a better reputation.

One thing to note: although the gore tex is supposed to be waterproof with a lifetime warranty, it seemed to me that the more I got the shoe wet, the quicker they deteriorated. I play a lot of snow and slush rounds during the winter, and once spring rolled around, those things were pretty much beat.

So although they do a fine job keeping my feet dry, ultimately they seem to break down due to exposure to wet conditions and eventually start leaking. But, with the lifetime warranty on the Goretex I don't see what will keep me from continuing to turn the beat pairs into new ones minus the cost of shipping back to Merrell (they paid for the shipping on their end).

I'm torn with these guys honestly. I had a pair of shoes that were shit in less than 5 months. I don't remember what model they were, but the sole was coming off, holes where they crease, lost water proofing sooner, insoles came out, stitching, etc. Now, my boots I bought for the winter, superb. This will be the third winter I'll be using them. They're rock solid and waterproof, comfortable, awesome and aggressive tread, and I even use them with gaiters while on my snowmobile (also, the third season).

I bought some Solomon midtops to replace my summer shoes, the shitty Merrells. This time I bought them from REI, so when they crap out I can get new ones at no cost.

Merrell much like many clothing and shoe companies moved their production over seas which has lead to significant drops in quality. A misconception about shoes is their lifespan. Sure you could wear a shoe till you wear holes in the bottom but really shoes should be swapped out when the midsole is compromised. This happens after about 6-12 months depending on use.

If you are wearing your shoes regularly and get a year out of them
then be happy. If your shoes aren't lasting as long as you'd like start shopping at REI where they will return shoes that don't meet your expectations. THIS DOES NOT MEAN A FREE PAIR OF SHOES EVERY YEAR but wont leave you high and dry when you show comes apart after 3 months.

With all that being said my shoe recommendation definitely isn't for everyone but they have been amazing for me. Merrell True Glove is a minimalist/barefoot shoe meaning it lacks a midsole. I have been wearing True Gloves/Vibram FiveFingers/New Balance Minimus as my primary shoes and even though they took a lot of getting used to try have alleviated all my knee and lower back pain from years of sports. The shoes are light have great grip and makes me very aware of where I step.

I have treated my shoes with water proofing Nikwax which helps during morning rounds but I'm eager to try the Merrell Embarks, the Gore Tex version of the true gloves.

Update: Merrell sent me my first choice of replacement shoes in exchange for my crappy Chameleon 3's. Got some Moab mids with Goretex. Pretty nice shoe. Rocking these for the Winter and as soon as I don't need socks again I'll be going back to my Vibram Five Fingers as my primary shoes.

So Merrell is like a box of chocolates but at least their return police is pretty awesome.

I went through 2 pairs of merrel moab ventilators in about 6 months time. The best shoe I ever owned was some Columbia hiking shoe similar to the one that MR.WICK posted. That thing lasted like 9 months when I was playing 6-7 times a week in college. Never found another pair and when I tried to find the shoe online no one had the size I needed. I bought it at some shoe carnival place like 50% off.

So yeah I know Moab Ventilators aren't really that expensive but they should hold up longer than 3 months. I ended up just buying some new balance that fit well and had good support and traction.

I maybe be a snob about my bag and discs but shoes are going to wear out. as long as it gives me support, traction, and lasts 6+ months I am happy. no need to spend $120 on a pair of merrels. I know a lot of Austin golfers that have made the switch to keen or other companies because the merrel shoes just don't seem to hold up in central texas