• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan Weather Question

ZMan44

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I know there are a lot of people from Michigan on the site so I have a question for you guys. I really want to play Flip City and some of the courses in that area. I am going to be in the Chicago area on business the last week of March. Will it be to cold to swing over to Michigan for some disc golf at that time of year? What kind of weather is typical for Michigan around the last week of March? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Michigan weather changes on a day to day basis. We just got hit with a gigantic snow storm in the detroit-metro area with very low temperatures, a couple days later it was 50 degrees. I disc all year round, dress warm and you should be fine.

March in Michigan is going to be possibly brutal. I would bet that winter golf will still be in full session with inches, if not feet worth of snow on the ground. Expect temps in the 20's, 30's with VERY strong lake winds.

The great courses in Michigan are along the west coast of the lake. Kalamazoo, Shelby(Flip city), Muskegon, Ludington, Traverse City. This is the lake effect band, meaning that the west side of the state gets walloped by big fluffy snow.

If you are looking to play winter disc golf, go for it. BUT if you are looking to play and experience these courses as they were designed and in their showcase state I would say skip it.

Keep your eyes open for the weather about 2 weeks in advance, I can tell you in the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek Valley we get considerably less snow than North of Grand Rapids. The last couple of years around this area I have played in late March with little snow effect. Up north by Flip city the snow stays a little longer, the earliest possible without worry of snow would be mid april, but I am guessing you could get lucky and play in march, Also do not skip Ludington courses (The Beast in particular)!! A MUST play!

In March the weather is variable, indeed. The weather (as Landon77 says) is a little different in March north and west of GR; the four courses in Kzoo are a better bet for that time. Save Hickory Hills, Ludington and Flip for a later trip, in April or May.

Let's hope it's nice.

March could be good or bad.Watch the weather.The wind is the main thing.If it's windy ,Ludington is out of the question.At Flip City,after the first two holes it's not bad until 15 and 16 [alternates 1a-6a are good in the wind] Maybe 14,17 and 18 could be tricky,It depends on the wind.If it's windy and not to cold we play Whitehall.The trees block the wind so accuracy is the key at Whitehall.If your in the area ,play one of the many.And if its halfway decent,Flip City is a must.One day closer to spring.

almost everytime I play Ludville it is windy, I would guess it is a rare day indeed for Ludington to not have some sort of wind.