• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange assistance

Smyith1

Birdie Member
Im not happy with my midranges. let me give a lil background first. Started throwing the Roc back in 2001, DX only. Got a Hawkeye at a tournament and used that in combo with the Roc for many years before that roc reached the flippiness of the hawkeye. then i went out and got a 11x roc and played with those two for a few years. Then in 2006-7 i picked be a SB and a star USDGC Rancho Roc. so up until late 2009 my bag consisted of 1 dx, 1 kc pro, 1 SB, and 1 Star. all the while i was never really with the height they required for distance. then my dx cracked, my kc pro got chewed up by the new puppy and i lost a few of the ones that were being beaten up for insta replace. i got mad when i had to start all over again and decided to switch my straight and turnover midranges all together.
so in spring 2010, i tried the fuse, i had too many grip lock issues and trouble controlling that ultra glide. picked up an X buzzz shortly after and loved it right away. only beef was with its lack of stability in the wind. but i picked up other plastics that 'solved' that. and they quickly pushed the rancho out all together. anywho, i played with the buzzzs up until early june. then i noticed that i had developed a crucial gap in my game. my accurate woods 240-280 shots were lacking. i couldnt get the buzzz's to really do what i want. and the wind problem was making me especially frustrated. i picked up a cryztal Z that was very overstable but lacked that true buzzz quality. i figured id throw an ontario roc i had gotten from a tournament in there and see what would happen. my mid 200 shots quickly improved and i added a bubble top rancho from 2005 in there.
well i was happy for a short while. until my hand started to get "confused" between the two discs. i was trying to throw roc shots with the buzz and buzz shots with the roc. i tried to work through it but everytime i thought i was making progress id start with the confusion mid round again. so i decided to just go with the roc since it was more consistent in the wind and there are alot of holes in that mid 200s range.
so now to my problem. i miss the faster midrange like the buzzz. i cant get the roc to 300ft with out giving it considerable airtime. the buzz i could run low lines with ease out to 300. heck the buzzz took over the majority of the leopard shots. so i dont want to deal with the lack of wind stability in a buzzz and i refuse to go hunt for the first runs. i would prefer to stay with DX/D and X/Pro style plastic as my release consistency is much higher with these plastics. so i found some ProD Wasps 175-176g, figuring that its supposed to be a more stable than the buzzz and better in the wind. took them out to the field yesterday and the things are flippier than hell. i thought that maybe i was torquing or OATing the shit out of them. so i grabbed some beat up rocs and buzzzs to make sure i wasnt just being dumb. i had no issues with those, i could get beat ones to run straighter more stable lines than a brand new wasp. i eventually figured out how to get it to go the way i wanted it to. basically i pretend i was throwing a understable putter on a hyzer line (slow and alot of hyzer on the release). then the 3 of them started to fly straight and stable. so im a bit baffled. it never takes me that much effort to learn the basics of a disc, especially one that is supposed to be so similar to what ive thrown for years.
so i have two questions i could use help on:
1). Am i just an idiot and need to spend more time in the field? i play alot of midrange only rounds so its not like i dont get to throw them often. or should i try to make the Roc and Buzzz work?

2). Any other midrange options? Criteria: heavily prefer dx/d and pro/X type plastic, able to hold straight to overstable lines in the wind, and capable of 300ft on low flying lines (so it needs glide). Im thinking of trying the sentinel MF and warrior. id be down with the hornet but it only comes in Z, id love it in X or D and i have an ESP. or if they still made the storm id be even happier.

thanks for any ideas and for taking the time.

You are severely limiting your choices these days by requiring a dx/pro style plastic. I can't really think of anything out there that you haven't used that meets your criteria at all. Besides your plastic criteria, I'd be really surprised if you didn't like the Axis. It has the low flying ability of the Buzzz with better wind resistance and better glide under 280'. I like the feel of the plastic better than Z as well.

i know im really limiting myself. thats part of the struggle. but we are talking a HUGE difference in release consistency for me between the low level plastic and high level. i have grip lock issues with star/esp/GL plastic when its warm out. and i dont like champ and elite Z specifically. i like the glo Z, glow champ, cryztal z, and some opto (older blends were grippier i think).

ive only thrown the ion. i didnt mind the plastic but it felt so tiny in the hand i couldnt deal with it. i think someone at leagues has that Axis or maybe its the Vector. ill try to remember to ask to throw it.

Probably the Vector since the Axis was officially released just today (or is it tomorrow... Oh yeah, it isn't the 16th there yet).

If you want to stick with the Buzz I would try a DGA Shockwave because the Shockwave has the stability of a dx Roc but is a little faster which makes it a nice compliment. I forgot what DGA calls their lines of plastic but I'm referring to the plastic that feels like Discraft X plastic. The first hole at my home course is 340' with a little fade at the end and I can throw the Shockwave with the same release as a newish dx Roc but I have to put more power on the Roc to get it to the pin.
I don't want to muddy the waters more but I think DGA makes a disc that is very close to the Discraft Storm.

chainsmoker said:
If you want to stick with the Buzz I would try a DGA Shockwave because the Shockwave has the stability of a dx Roc but is a little faster which makes it a nice compliment. I forgot what DGA calls their lines of plastic but I'm referring to the plastic that feels like Discraft X plastic. The first hole at my home course is 340' with a little fade at the end and I can throw the Shockwave with the same release as a newish dx Roc but I have to put more power on the Roc to get it to the pin.
i know theres proline which is ESP, and sparkle which is Z. i didnt think they had any other options.

I don't want to muddy the waters more but I think DGA makes a disc that is very close to the Discraft Storm.
the squall is a beadless storm

I think the Aftershock was a decent midrange, but it overlapped what my wasp can do. I have been working with an R pro cro and I have been having good release with it.

i've only thrown the cmd2 but according to jubuttib the P's and D's don't handle wind as well as the C's, he'd be the person to answer that question. the C's handle wind pretty well from my experience and they are really easy to keep on low lines.

My flat C's weren't fazed by 30 mph headwinds, which took me completely by surprise. The P's aren't as good, being domey they get bounced around more. But they definitely work in the wind, as good as or better than most straight mids, assuming your throw is clean obviously. No neutral mid can handle both OAT and headwinds at the same time.

Smyith said:
chainsmoker said:
i know theres proline which is ESP, and sparkle which is Z. i didnt think they had any other options.

the squall is a beadless storm
I withdraw my comments :oops:

Have you considered just using Rocs and then discing up and throwing those low ceiling shots from a standstill with a fairway driver?

garublador said:
Have you considered just using Rocs and then discing up and throwing those low ceiling shots from a standstill with a fairway driver?

I've done things like this in the past. It really depends on how many shots like this you play, because even from a standstill, fairway drivers are so much more finicky than long mids imo. They have both more turn and more fade and are more nose angle sensitive, so if you play a lot of low ceiling holes it's better to have a faster mid.

i would personally just keep throwing rocs. if you need to beat one in to fly straight, just get an ontario. and then use ranchos for more overstable stuff and windy days

Smyith said:
or if they still made the storm id be even happier.

Ok, so you said the Squall is a beadless storm...have you tried different plastics in the squall??? It has a little hs turn, so it may not be quite what you are looking for.

I have a sparkle squall that is slowly becoming my go to mid...I get a much cleaner and consistent release than with my star mako and glow z-buzz.

Maybe I should have included this in my earlier post...
the Squall comes in multiple plastics...
RDGA, SP, and Proline

I'm thinking you might want the RDGA plastic???
The only problem is these are only offered in light weights...150g class (I believe)

Went to a field last night. ya i mustve had some stupid hands the day before. wasp isnt much different from a brand new rancho, except the wasp holds a straighter HSS. also took my buzzzs out with me, i think im gonna just carry the ESP with me as a long driving midrange only. see how that works. maybe continue to screw around with the wasp a lil more (as in standing in front of trees bashing it over and over. see what happens when its beat in).

garublador said:

thats along the lines i was considering. i got a DX gazelle yesterday as well and was liking the results. im going to continue messing with this as well. i use a leopard alot for low ceiling turnovers and semi straight ones. hopefully the gazelle works out like the leopard just the opposite flight path(s).

Have you ever tried a Comet? They can be nice for touch approaches and longer approaches that need glide, and can be pushed out really far too if you have room to air them out. They're really versatile.

Buzzes never worked well for touch shots for me, I always used them as a control driver more than the traditional midrange type of shots. If you can get over your plastic preferences MVP's mids are really nice and worth trying sometime.