• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange assistance

Mike C said:
Have you ever tried a Comet? They can be nice for touch approaches and longer approaches that need glide, and can be pushed out really far too if you have room to air them out. They're really versatile.

how would the comet then fill out a role of overstable flight on low flying 300ft shots?
and yes ive thrown many comets, prefer a beat up roc or a putter.

Get a heavy cmd2 and be amazed, it will hold hyzer lines nice and tight.

X Comet, but really and truly you should just get over your plastic issues. all the discs out there that do what you require (300 at low lines etc.) are generally only made in "high end" plastics.

or you could just stick with the Roc.

What is it about premium plastics that makes you have grip locks? I would not change a disc first without trying to fix a technique problem. Have you checked the main page articles about usual issues and solutions ie grip lock part? Do you pull the arm before the plant step lands, pull away from the body or strong arm?

JR said:
What is it about premium plastics that makes you have grip locks? I would not change a disc first without trying to fix a technique problem. Have you checked the main page articles about usual issues and solutions ie grip lock part? Do you pull the arm before the plant step lands, pull away from the body or strong arm?

i think its just body chemistry to be honest. the plastic literally sticks to my hand. some of the older star blends were "drier" (not really sure how to describe the feel). i had no issues at all. some of the newer runs are good. but the "oilier" ones just stick. sure i can throw them just fine, if i put half the snap on them that i normally would) thats useless. and gold line is just awful for me. their stick enough i dont need to use my thumb at all cause its glued to my fingers.

Hi glue finger i'm glass for skin in the fingers. Sliiippp... So that was bye bye to Star and ESP how about Champion, Z, Opto and the likes that are slicker?

It's weird that you want gripper plastics (DX/Pro/X/D), because you have too much grip on the premium plastics(Champ/Z/Opto/Star/ESP/GL). Don't most people that have a problem with premium plastic hate that those discs don't have enough grip?

Marshall Street has some Millennium plastic Sentinels, you just have to search by brand because the flight chart is broken. Or you can click on this.

They are the San Marino variety so they will be more overstable and fly longer on lower lines than a Roc.

EDIT: I just re-read your OP and see that you were thinking Sentinel. Go for it.

I envy you. If I had a problem where premium plastic caused me "grip locks" I'd never throw anything else. You can never ever ever have too much grip on a disc, it can always be corrected with timing.

Smyith said:
garublador said:
Have you considered just using Rocs and then discing up and throwing those low ceiling shots from a standstill with a fairway driver?

thats along the lines i was considering. i got a DX gazelle yesterday as well and was liking the results. im going to continue messing with this as well. i use a leopard alot for low ceiling turnovers and semi straight ones. hopefully the gazelle works out like the leopard just the opposite flight path(s).
I use Gazelles for that spot, too. I haven't had the issues that discspeed mentioned in his post, but I'm also not as good or experienced so YMMV.

ForeverBlue232 said:
It's weird that you want gripper plastics (DX/Pro/X/D), because you have too much grip on the premium plastics(Champ/Z/Opto/Star/ESP/GL). Don't most people that have a problem with premium plastic hate that those discs don't have enough grip?

Yup and there is a phenomenon when the fingers are moist the discs can glue onto the disc and cause grip locks. So i would wash the hands with soap several times to dry the skin off of skin fats to make the skin drier and less sticking. If the OP blows on his fingers or does anything that adds moisture or warms the fingers -stop. I would also bring individually zip loced towels and rub you fingers on them to dry the skin before throwing a primo disc to see if the gluing onto the fingers issue goes away. I'm so fucking jealous, because for two weeks i've tested all the tackiest discs i have for the fall and winter to eliminate gross early slips. HPP Wizard slipped big time twice today. After work so my skin was extra dry and slippery and there was mild rain early on.

garublador said:
Smyith said:
garublador said:
Have you considered just using Rocs and then discing up and throwing those low ceiling shots from a standstill with a fairway driver?

thats along the lines i was considering. i got a DX gazelle yesterday as well and was liking the results. im going to continue messing with this as well. i use a leopard alot for low ceiling turnovers and semi straight ones. hopefully the gazelle works out like the leopard just the opposite flight path(s).
I use Gazelles for that spot, too. I haven't had the issues that discspeed mentioned in his post, but I'm also not as good or experienced so YMMV.

Everything is relative..."Low ceiling" can probably mean anything from a hole where the ceiling is simply restricted (but not that low) to holes where you have to keep your disc less than 8' off the ground for 300' or so. Then there is style...I simply find it hard to power down and control a fairway driver on low ceiling shots and have always found it easier to power a mid. I think that's why I prefer a mid, because I don't have to back off on it too much like I would with a fwy driver. Throwing a stable mid hard ensures it will hold it's height and penetrate as well as holding it's line. When I back off I'm more likely to get nose up or have the disc drop too early on me. Someone with a different style or power level may find another method works better.

jubuttib said:
I envy you. If I had a problem where premium plastic caused me "grip locks" I'd never throw anything else. You can never ever ever have too much grip on a disc, it can always be corrected with timing.

i did alter my form and release a little to counteract the grip lock. altho it gets more distance the accuracy and consistency wasnt there. plus it was bad form to make it work.

JR said:
ForeverBlue232 said:

Yup and there is a phenomenon when the fingers are moist the discs can glue onto the disc and cause grip locks. So i would wash the hands with soap several times to dry the skin off of skin fats to make the skin drier and less sticking. If the OP blows on his fingers or does anything that adds moisture or warms the fingers -stop. I would also bring individually zip loced towels and rub you fingers on them to dry the skin before throwing a primo disc to see if the gluing onto the fingers issue goes away. I'm so fucking jealous, because for two weeks i've tested all the tackiest discs i have for the fall and winter to eliminate gross early slips. HPP Wizard slipped big time twice today. After work so my skin was extra dry and slippery and there was mild rain early on.

i been carrying wet wipes with me for some time. works well actually altho it seems that my second throw after cleaning them goes better than the first. im just going to have to become obsessive about it. those blue DGA towels are really good too.

Drop the wet wipes for a while and test using only dry towels. I have a sneaking suspicion that the wet wipes are what's causing the gluing to the fingers until grip locked release to the right and late.

I may be late into this thread, but if a Wasp is turning over, it is definitly not the disc.

Maybe it is worth something to you, maybe not, but my ( tested, loved and working very well ) midranges setup is :

Z comet ( understable )
esp Buzzz ( neutral )
Z Wasp ( overstable )

There is nothing within 330 feet that I can not do with this combo.

Smigles said:
I may be late into this thread, but if a Wasp is turning over, it is definitly not the disc.

Maybe it is worth something to you, maybe not, but my ( tested, loved and working very well ) midranges setup is :

Z comet ( understable )
esp Buzzz ( neutral )
Z Wasp ( overstable )

There is nothing within 330 feet that I can not do with this combo.
How beat is your Z Comet for you to call it understable?

I've had very good luck lately with a combination of Opto Pains for overstable shots, especially in the wind, and DX and KC Pro rocs running the gamut from overstable to laser straight to flippy and understable. Rocs are unstoppable.

ESP FLX Buzzz kind of have the pro feel to them while they are more stable than the pro. Personally love the Z-Wasp but it isn't the plastic you want

JR said:
Drop the wet wipes for a while and test using only dry towels. I have a sneaking suspicion that the wet wipes are what's causing the gluing to the fingers until grip locked release to the right and late.

not sure if its the temp change or not, but i think this helped alot. more consistent on the all around. i thank you for the suggestion still carry the wipes for when i get into the poisonous stuff or if my fingers get sticky from sap or food/drink.

i was really liking the gazelle for about 2 rounds, then the dx plastic showed its weakness and the disc became flippy quick. got a cpl of glo champs on the way, really like the out of the box flight of the gazelle.

i also put the buzzz back in. only using them as a driver and no fairway action. definitely helping with the mind-to-hand confusion i had earlier in the year. but i also think this may be hurting my overall game, time will tell. im still not happy with my current midrange game/skill, used to be so much stronger, i think in my efforts to clean up and improve my driver consistency caused me to neglect maintaining/improving my midrange game. trying to think of a better way to practice all of my game in a better manner. field practice is good for learning the ins and outs of a disc but it doesnt translate well to the course (for me anyway, honestly in all sports ive competed in drills didnt help me as much as live action <shrug>).think i may increase the amount of rounds i play speed 6 or lower only. not really sure. any suggestions for better ways to practice the overall game?

anyway thanks so far for the suggestions.

Smigles said:
see below
Smyith said:
Went to a field last night. ya i mustve had some stupid hands the day before. wasp isnt much different from a brand new rancho, except the wasp holds a straighter HSS.