• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange discs that are underrated.

I like the Aurora MS and the Optimizer. Both are very straight and the Optimizer is good for left to right fades.

Will Aubrey said:
I like ... the Optimizer.

omg are you serious?

I like the Comet and the Squall for underrated midranges. The squall's like a stingray, and there's just nothing like a Comet.

I couldn't live without my Meteor... not a disc to throw at full power unless you give it a lot of hyzer (and even then it'll finish a little right), but at 50%-75% power a great anny approach disc. Complements my Roc, which is the only Innova disc I throw.

Blake_T said:
i find there's more midranges out there whose very existence i question than midranges i feel don't get their fair shake.
I'm not a big fan of the concept of carrying multiple discs of the same mold at different stages in life so I prefer more midranges to less. I throw a FLX drone for an over stable, Z Buzzz for stable, and Z Breeze for under stable midranges. This combination works great since it fills any holes in my mid game and they all throw beaten in as they did brand new.

I think Breezes are the most under rated mid. They'll hold a perfectly straight line for 300' if thrown right, but they are very touchy.

Jsw said:
twmccoy said:

I like the element too, but it is not as consistent as the buzz. It tracks right on every throw and never comes back.

Was it the standard element, or the element "X". The "X" is more overstable than the standard version. The "X" is what I'm interested in, compared to the Roc.

Regular mold E element. Love the way the disc glides, but I just can't put it where I want to like a buzz.

Chadi said:
Blake_T said:
i find there's more midranges out there whose very existence i question than midranges i feel don't get their fair shake.
I'm not a big fan of the concept of carrying multiple discs of the same mold at different stages in life so I prefer more midranges to less. I throw a FLX drone for an over stable, Z Buzzz for stable, and Z Breeze for under stable midranges. This combination works great since it fills any holes in my mid game and they all throw beaten in as they did brand new.

I think Breezes are the most under rated mid. They'll hold a perfectly straight line for 300' if thrown right, but they are very touchy.
im a big fan of consistency and throwing less molds in most cases will breed consistency not to mention help your overall game and ability to shape lines. In short you could throw three different molds for those three different flight paths but why would you? when you could get all three done with one mold and produce good results more consistently. Then there is the problem of what to do when your buzz beats into a breeze and your breeze beats into a useless turd, do you get rid of them and get new ones?

garublador said:
BLURR said:
What defines a "great midrange" in your opiniion garublabor?
I know I'm going to get flack for calling out peoples' favorite mids, but I will say that they're all things that can be overcome with a little skill. Once you get good enough you have the luxury to choose discs based on preference and not have it impact your game. IMO, the rest of us don't have that luxury and are better off using the objectively best discs.
Id like to call you both out on what the best midrange disc is. I know you are both local players and would be willing to bet that all 3 of us use 5-9 different discs for the same shots. Its all comfort/ability. I use a roc, a demon and a squall for my mids. I bet the average roc thrower would like a Buzzz or Wasp. Its all a matter of preference of what I throw for 2-3 spots in my bag and 2-3 spots in blurr's bag and 2-3 spots in garubladors bag. Yet we play all the same courses (well me 2-5+ strokes below the other 2)

cro. cfr gators are awesome too. (original x mold w/bead in premium plastic = piiiig)

lately its been flx buzzz/cfr gator for me

The Ching Power Legacy is a disc that I was introduced to a few months ago. The rim is not as deep as most mids and the plastic is a little softer than most. Felt great in my hands the first time I threw it. This disc is pretty nuetral as far as stability. It will hold any line at any speed. I usually throw Buzz's or Wasp's as my primary mid's. This disc will fly just about as far. The only thing it does not handle very well are stronger headwinds when thrown for max D.

Storm. OK, technically not a midrange, but the stamp does say "stable midrange driver." I think of it as a long midrange or a short fairway driver. Super straight without being flippy. Great for tunnels and easy to control.

Jesse B 707 said:
Chadi said:
Blake_T said:

im a big fan of consistency and throwing less molds in most cases will breed consistency not to mention help your overall game and ability to shape lines. In short you could throw three different molds for those three different flight paths but why would you? when you could get all three done with one mold and produce good results more consistently. Then there is the problem of what to do when your buzz beats into a breeze and your breeze beats into a useless turd, do you get rid of them and get new ones?

Yeah, when your buzz beats into a useless turd, you huck it into the bin or toss it to a kid and get a new one. Same thing you do with your beaten into a turd roc.

Not saying that buzz is better, just that you're in the same boat when the disc is done.

The reason some people succeed with throwing the same disc is because they get to know what it does. If you throw 3 discs that same amount, then you'll get to know what they do too. The problem would be if you only use those other discs once in awhile and the feel of the disc is an adjustment or the flight is not simple for you. Then you'd have some problems. You could have the same problems with beat rocs as well if you didn't throw them enough. You say your beat roc turns just perfectly, but if somebody else picked it up and threw it, they'd need some time with it to figure out how much is enough vs too much vs not enough to get it to fly the way they want.

One mold in various states is simple. No doubt. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking that throwing a disc <300' (typical for a mid) is rocket science and that after being given a little while to learn the disc, any of us can't be as consistent with it as anything else. The problem is folks that are always throwing new discs or different discs in the same situation. They don't get to learn what the discs will actually do.

One thing to consider is the type of plastic you can obtain the disc in. I know lots of roc owners face that when buzz players talk about picking up an esp/flx or Z buzz with ease and little cost. It's something to consider.

Lastly, while I know roc fans love having one mold and 3 discs to cover what's needed, I've seen people cover all three shots with one esp buzz. It holds up well and can be thrown with hyzer, flat or anhyzer and it keeps whatever you put on it. That's 1 disc vs 3. I can't do it, but I know people that can. Just saying that there are lots of options.

I'm more inclined to side with Blake in that it's not so much underrated midrange discs, but more of midrange discs that aren't necessary because they are covering form faults.

black udder said:
form faults

I like it. I suspect I'll be shouting "form fault" at the next person I see shank a drive from the tee box. I think I'll be saying it to myself a lot too.

Dogma said:
black udder said:
form faults

I like it. I suspect I'll be shouting "form fault" at the next person I see shank a drive from the tee box. I think I'll be saying it to myself a lot too.

LOL... yeah, I say it ALL the time... sorta like, "that would have been a great shot if not for the....form fault."

Same thing you do with your beaten into a turd roc.

can't say i've ever had a roc that was beaten to the point where i've felt i could give it away. usually i buy the turd ones from kids that fish em out of ponds as you can't fake age.

The reason some people succeed with throwing the same disc is because they get to know what it does. If you throw 3 discs that same amount, then you'll get to know what they do too.

not always true. you also see people fail to succeed because of their disc choice. if someone's primary midrange is flippy, chances are they won't trust nutting on it. similarly, if people were fully proficient at throwing straight, hyzers, anhyzers, etc. and knowing how to manipulate discs, the need for having more than 1 midrange decreases significantly. sure you might learn some discs in a manner that doesn't require proficiency at different kinds of throws. this is the same reason i frown upon carrying 12 driver molds.

I've seen people cover all three shots with one esp buzz. It holds up well and can be thrown with hyzer, flat or anhyzer and it keeps whatever you put on it.

heh... if you throw a lot of power hyzers... the limits of the buzzz become apparent. they aren't bad discs (better than most midranges out there) but i would take a wasp ahead of a buzzz still for that reason. hyzer = safe and accurate. if you can't always trust a workhorse mid on a hyzer it probably doesn't work out as a workhorse mid.

I'm more inclined to side with Blake in that it's not so much underrated midrange discs, but more of midrange discs that aren't necessary because they are covering form faults.

not even necessarily form faults... just lack of shot proficiency.

Blake_T said:
can't say i've ever had a roc that was beaten to the point where i've felt i could give it away. usually i buy the turd ones from kids that fish em out of ponds as you can't fake age.
X2, I have DX Rocs that have seen over 5 years of use and they are by far the most valuable Rocs I own and I dont ever see them getting too flippy to keep in the bag (those beads last a LONG time)

For me, a DX Roc loses its usefulness when it stops being PDGA legal due to a crack or hole or when it gets run over by a mower (doh!).

I have never had one that got squirrelly. I am wary of used ones because some people really don't take care of their discs and they are incredibly warped, but that's abuse rather than just being used a lot.

Someone asked if I was serious about liking the Optimizer. Yeah LOL. I'm serious. It flies a lot like the Whittler but the rim is more like a regular golf disc. It's a good touch disc. Now you can't put any power behind it or it will turn over.

black udder said:
Then there is the problem of what to do when your buzz beats into a breeze and your breeze beats into a useless turd, do you get rid of them and get new ones?
Z and FLX plastic doesn't really beat in. I used to throw the same Breeze more than 18 times per 18 hole round and it took two years before I had to replace it. FLX plastic is also very wear resistant. I think FLX Drones are the most reliable midrange made. They know only one thing and that is left.

Chadi said:
black udder said:
Then there is the problem of what to do when your buzz beats into a breeze and your breeze beats into a useless turd, do you get rid of them and get new ones?
Z and FLX plastic doesn't really beat in. I used to throw the same Breeze more than 18 times per 18 hole round and it took two years before I had to replace it. FLX plastic is also very wear resistant. I think FLX Drones are the most reliable midrange made. They know only one thing and that is left.

Hey!! That's not my quote :p :(

I have my beat to crap buzz and it's still in my bag.

Latest posts