• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Midrange....want something new.

Bultx1215

Double Eagle Member
After a pretty good hiatus, I'm back in DG again and am updating some of my plastic. My midrange selection is woefully inadequate IMO. Now, to make things worse, I have a nagging shoulder injury that won't seem to go away.....sucks getting old.:wall: So, as a result, I am discing down and think I may now need a better mid selection. I have always had a love hate...leaning more to the hate side..with my mids save my DX Shark. So, I want to start over again and am wondering what's out there that will compliment what I have already.

What I currently have is a Buzzz FLX and I just picked up a MVP Axis. Those two are very, very close to the same in my hands at least. I can do more and better with the Axis, even though I have only thrown it a dozen times or so. I also still have the DX Shark, though its not currently in the bag. I also have a DX Stingray and Cobra, though neither one of those has flown in maybe 10 years.....that hate thing ya know.;) I tend to like stable and understable. Really overstable to wildly overstable give me fits most days.

So, here's what I am wondering. What is out there that would be new to me, say..new in the last 10 years or so, that would compliment what I currently have. I simply do not know the newer discs. I mainly ignored new discs before and stayed old school most of the time. I am still known to revert to P-38's now and again.:) I mainly throw RHBH unless in trouble, and do not have a ton of power any more due to multiple injuries. My drives on good days top out around 265' and on bad days stay around 225. With my injury history and age, I may not be able to push drives out like I used to, so I just may need to perfect my game in other ways now...only time will tell if I can get back to longer drives.

So, with all that considered, is there anything out there that would fit my situation? Or am I good enough with just the Buzzz and Axis?

Last edited:
The Meteor is a good midrange that does not require a lot of power. It can fly on a straight line, hyzer, or anyhyzer when thrown correctly, and is one of the farthest flying mids available. But like all understable discs, it does not fair well in the wind. Another good choice is the comet, I prefer the meteor for a beadless grip.

Last edited:
Perhaps a Latitude 64 FUSE ... definately a newer model disc and an understable - stable mid

mako: very buzz like
md2: also buzz like

md1: less stable md2

and because your and old school player

wedge: xd+stingray baby. don't let the slow speed rating fool you, this disc has some legs.

After a pretty good hiatus, I'm back in DG again and am updating some of my plastic. My midrange selection is woefully inadequate IMO. Now, to make things worse, I have a nagging shoulder injury that won't seem to go away.....sucks getting old.:wall: So, as a result, I am discing down and think I may now need a better mid selection. I have always had a love hate...leaning more to the hate side..with my mids save my DX Shark. So, I want to start over again and am wondering what's out there that will compliment what I have already.

What I currently have is a Buzzz FLX and I just picked up a MVP Axis. Those two are very, very close to the same in my hands at least. I can do more and better with the Axis, even though I have only thrown it a dozen times or so. I also still have the DX Shark, though its not currently in the bag. I also have a DX Stingray and Cobra, though neither one of those has flown in maybe 10 years.....that hate thing ya know.;) I tend to like stable and understable. Really overstable to wildly overstable give me fits most days.

So, here's what I am wondering. What is out there that would be new to me, say..new in the last 10 years or so, that would compliment what I currently have. I simply do not know the newer discs. I mainly ignored new discs before and stayed old school most of the time. I am still known to revert to P-38's now and again.:) I mainly throw RHBH unless in trouble, and do not have a ton of power any more due to multiple injuries. My drives on good days top out around 265' and on bad days stay around 225. With my injury history and age, I may not be able to push drives out like I used to, so I just may need to perfect my game in other ways now...only time will tell if I can get back to longer drives.

So, with all that considered, is there anything out there that would fit my situation? Or am I good enough with just the Buzzz and Axis?

One of my regular crew was looking for something different. He is a mid range flyer - we call him "Captain Comet"!! I recommended that he try the Latitude 64 'core'. Well, upon the first throw he immediately fell in love with this disc. I'll recommend it to you as well!!

Fuse, Comet are my 2 favorite mid's Core is good but the Axis u have I personally like better. Then again the Cobra is a fan favorite among the people I play with

I agree....

i choose the comet

"You have chosen... Wisely."
grailknight.jpg

Comet seems to be popular.:) I thought the Fuse was either the same as or not as good as the Axis...or did I read that wrong? The Core I have heard of as well...think I may have seen it recently, too..not sure. Spider and Wedge I've heard of as well. You know, I completely forgot I have an old XD....now that is a good one I liked. Guess the Wedge improved on it?

Now, one thing I forgot....wind is very often a factor here. Not as bad as when I was in Dallas area. I can remember playing Fritz Park in 30mph winds many a time.:doh: Which would handle the winds better?

What does it mean to disc down?

In my case, I mean I am putting all of my high speed drivers away and using lower to low speed discs. Speed 7 and lower...although I am still carrying my Avenger FLX. I can still put that one slightly farther than most if my shoulder will allow. When I went to drive the other day, I was putting an R-Pro Aviar almost as far as my Valk and Beast. Told me it was past time to disc down.:( I know the pain has altered my form quite a bit....or even lost it completely.

Now, one thing I forgot....wind is very often a factor here. Not as bad as when I was in Dallas area. I can remember playing Fritz Park in 30mph winds many a time.:doh: Which would handle the winds better?

Something faster and overstable. If there's a headwind blasting me in the face, I throw my Drone. It does work.

Hornets are good too.

I throw the Core and Fuse, and really like them. Good discs. But they overlap a little with your Buzzz and Axis. I'd keep throwing whichever one of those you prefer. Let's say it's the Axis. Then get a more stable or over stable disc to compliment it. I'd go with a Vector or GL Pain. Both would help you in wind. Your Stingray could cover your under stable duties fine. If you really want to try something else a Fuse is great. Get a GL lighter than your Axis and it should be a good anny and turn over mid.

But if you are really going to disc down, get your putter figured out too. Find something you can throw off the tee or for long approaches.

Good luck.

I have a FLX Buzzz. I love it, but I more often throw and do better with my ESP Hornet. It's a little overstable, but it works great in the wind and it can easily get out to 250-300 feet pretty straight. I like it more than my Buzzz but I hear the Axis is pretty good too. I would think you should be able to make most shots with the buzzz and axis, but Hornet/Axis might be better in the breeze.

Some of those classics can't be beat.. To me nothing has a more beautiful flight than a Roc.