• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

millenium quasar?

steven said:
what is this?

We've been discussing this in the Millennium thread. It's a max rim width fast and predictably overstable distance driver. It is probably the most predictable speed 13 disc (other than the NukeOS, which is too overstable for real distance) on the market.

I had the chance to test my 173 Quasar in 20-40mph winds today, which is the strongest I've had the chance to play with them in. The only time I saw any high speed turn was on a hard throw directly into the wind, where it flipped up and over slightly and then came back pretty hard...it gave me 400' on a low line into that strong wind, and I can't ask for any more than that. I'm throwing a wine colored domey 173, and it is now quite securely in my bag.

discspeed said:
I had the chance to test my 173 Quasar in 20-40mph winds today, which is the strongest I've had the chance to play with them in. The only time I saw any high speed turn was on a hard throw directly into the wind, where it flipped up and over slightly and then came back pretty hard...it gave me 400' on a low line into that strong wind, and I can't ask for any more than that. I'm throwing a wine colored domey 173, and it is now quite securely in my bag.

I was about to post something about the Quasar after putting it in my bag last week. This thing is awesome, and has already replaced my starlite bosses as my main headwind driver. My 172 Merlot Quasar really penetrates the wind but also finishes in a really predictable manner. I also feel like it has a fair amount of glide. Playing this afternoon I used it on several holes with 15-20 mph headwinds, and I still managed to push it out to 425 feet without it flipping a bit. I still love my SDS Destroyers for overstable sidearm shots or shorter spike-hyzer shots, but when I really need big D in the wind, I have been reaching for the Quasar.

Well, that Quasar is very different then from what we have with jubuttib. It has some slight highspeed turn even without wind, but it didn't increase more than slightly into ~15mph winds.

Discspeed, do you really think the quasar is as fast as a boss? I've got a couple really stable bosses that I'm satisfied with, but all this talk is making me think about trying the quasar. If it's a tick slower, i'm not interested. please fill me in!

Fazor said:
Discspeed, do you really think the quasar is as fast as a boss? I've got a couple really stable bosses that I'm satisfied with, but all this talk is making me think about trying the quasar. If it's a tick slower, i'm not interested. please fill me in!
rim width and depth are the same, and the boss is only .1 CM smaller in height according to pDGA standards. so unless the quasar has a super blunt nose than they are probably about the same

Quasar looks like an Ape without the fat nose spacer(to my eye). The top and bottom are almost identical to the Ape. I describe it as a faster destroyer. Hands down the best speed 13 from Innova molds. Reminds me of a slight more stable Nuke(in between it and the NukeOS)

I was looking on altitudediscgolf.com since they have profile pics of most discs. the quasar looks like the boss wing with an ape top. can anyone confirm this?

Quasar is the best speed 13 disc I've thrown. It's more predictable and reliable than the Nuke, but it is not overstable at all (Not mine at least). Mine flies like a speed 13 OLF would, which is a disc I've been looking for roughly a year now. It's straight. In calm conditions I throw it with a bit of hyzer and it sits up flat, drifts right maybe 5' and goes forward very fast, then has a strong fade at the end. I've been throwing OLF's in the 430-450' range for some months now and the Quasar is giving me 30-50' extra now that I've gotten used to it. It's the first speed 13 disc I've gotten any kind of results with so I'm real excited about it.

Only thing I'm kind of worried about is what Discspeed describes sounds like a completely different disc and I know he can throw, so I'm crossing my fingers that when I order 2 or 3 more I get the straight, stable kind like I have, not the overstable kind. Maybe it'd be worth us posting profile pictures to see if we can learn anything.

171-172g flat ones have been the best. Orange has been my favorite color. They seem to have the lowest parting lines at that weight range. Pretty much all of the 175g's are domey with a higher parting line, but I have seen a few lower ones.

Good to know. My straight flyer is a white 171, I'll probably pick up another and an orange at the same weight if I can find a store with that selection.

any differences betwixt first run and standard run quasars?

when will it be available in sirius plastic?

thanks!

I have a 175 purple and 172 orange Quasar both first runs that are pretty stable, I just got a 171 white from DGC yesterday thats not first run. Went out and threw the new 171 white and it is ALOT less stable then the others, it turns too much to be thrown flat but im like it. Flies pretty similar to a fairly worn pro destroyer ive been using, but more consistent and a little faster. I think the 172 first run and new 171 white will make a very nice pair.

They all have the same PLH, the newer white has a tiny bit less dome but its not much different.

I currently throw Z and ESP Nukes as my primary drivers. How much more stable is the quasar? Are we talking similar to a Z Force? And how does the Q plastic durability compare to Z?

cmroorda said:
I currently throw Z and ESP Nukes as my primary drivers. How much more stable is the quasar? Are we talking similar to a Z Force? And how does the Q plastic durability compare to Z?

Stability-wise the Nuke tends to push straight/turn over more than the Quasar and then fade later. The Nuke glides more and has more of a true distance line where the Quasar is more of a control distance driver. The Quasar is much better in the wind and easier to range hyzers with.

In my opinion the Q plastic is slightly better than the Z in durability.

Would i eventually be able to replace my nukes as the quasar breaks in? Will the quasar have more eventual distance potential then the nuke?