• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mini Marker Questions

splettimer

Par Member
I've been playing disc golf for a little while, but only casual games. I was just wondering, in a tournament, if you have to use a mini disc, or if you can use something else as a mini marker, like a copenhagen tin. I don't have a mini, so this is why i ask.

I believe it must be an actual marker disc. Minis are cheap, just go buy one; or order something from GottaGoGottaThrow and you'll get one for free with your order.

will do, i want a stash box i think. Hide the remains of my cancer sticks. i have a friend that uses it for his devil's lettuce

devil's lettuce, lol.

interesting question: there was (is?) a guy on dgcr who made custom wooden minis. would those be tourney legal?

From the rulebook:

802.02 Mini Marker Discs
A. Mini marker discs shall be used to
mark a player's lie as required by these
rules. Mini marker discs must have a
diameter of between 7 and 15 centimeters
and a height not exceeding 3 centimeters.

^This, I've seen people use chewing tobacco lids as minis.

802.02 Mini Marker Discs
A. Mini marker discs shall be used to
mark a player's lie as required by these
rules. Mini marker discs must have a
diameter of between 7 and 15 centimeters
and a height not exceeding 3 centimeters.

Is a Copenhagen tin more than 3 cm high?
Sounds like the only reason a tin of Copenhagen wouldn't work is because it's not a "Mini marker disc."

Wonder if they actually define what constitutes a mini, other than dimensions.

Could you use a hockey puck, for that matter?

In tourneys, no one is going to pull out a centimeter measure and ask for your mini.
I really don't think anybody would fuss over an "alternate" mini, as long as it resembles the form of a "real" mini.
In the Pro divisions, you might have an issue, but I'd just keep a regulation mini in case it is needed.

I've used the discs that are in a hard drive before as a mini, but never in a tournament, it was just casual play. This particular hard drive had it coming, it really did.

Biz
Team Bert
Hard drive killer

Also, you are not required to use a mini. You can just play behind the disc you have thrown. The only problem this may cause you is when you want to use the disc on the ground. You are NOT able to pick it up or move it, unless you use a mini.

Mini's are usually a buck for a normal one. I try to keep two in my bag, since they're cheap and easy to lose

You also must use a mini to mark if you have thrown out of bounds or your disc is suspended above the ground for any reason (except for being in the basket :D).

If you go to a tourney and ask i'm sure someone would give you one. I go to tourneys and alot of times there's minis in the players pack as well. I carry a few extra in my bag and give them away all the time.

well i just did some measurements, the cope tin is technically a disc, since it is round, but the diameter is too small. I saw some metal minis for sale that were pdga approve, so i assume if the lid were a big enough diameter it would work.

not as delicious as the copenhagen so it is pretty much way better than a mini marker. mini marker discs taste terrible;)

Latest posts