• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Missed ace comiseration thread Pt. 2

Yesterday I threw my trusty buzz straight at hole 1 at tuthill right before it got there the wind decided to jump right over the basket it was a sad day. Been nice to get ace on that hole again

I hit basket on hole 16 at McCurry Park. I was going for the skip but instead I hit the inside line and nailed the cage about 3-5 inches too low. That hole and I don't really get along well anyways.

Tonight I was playing a round with a friend I used to work with, showing her how to play and overall just trying to introduce her to the game. On one hole she jokingly called me "Mr. Pro" right before I let it fly... My trusty Ibex held its gentle hyzer perfectly sweeping right towards the basket... It appeared to be in... Could this be true?! Then, SMASH!!!! It hits head center chains, and ricochets left off of the poll, the chains struggling to hold on to it before finally relinquishing their grasp as the disc got to be 1" outside the rim of the basket before falling to earth... I can still see my Ibex crashing the chains and nearly sticking... If only it had lost a fraction of a percent more energy on impact.

Not really a missed ace, but threw my second ace in the past month both on hole 1 in Eldon, MO, both about 5 minutes before league started that has a $200 ace pot.

Monday night at Idlewild. Stepped up to hole 9 which I've flirted with in the past. A bunch of throws just short that hit the top of the wall, some that are just a bit left or right.

Took a nice clean rip with my Star SM Roc. Felt great coming out of my hand, knew it was gonna have a chance. Just a tick of turn, then it started fading back towards the chains. Damn thing hit the top of the basket (the basket, not the top chain assembly.) and kicked up and to the right. Frustrating near ace, but an easy deuce is always acceptable.

Closest metal hit yet on this hole, I'll get it one of these days.

b66895c8.jpg

ed78a84e.jpg

I have two missed ace storys.
First one was at Waterworks park, hole 16 with pin position at the right position. I pull out my nuke ss, flies perfectly out of my hand, makes a beautiful sweeping s curve and starts to fade back, I think in my head that's going to be a nice easy birdie, I keep watching and it starts fading on what seems a perfect angle then bam, smacks down into the chains, I scream out in joy only to sadly see it bounce into the bottom then right back out onto the ground.
Second one was out at kearney hole 8. Dead straight 205 ft. shot with water on both sides and a 5-10 ft. landing strip to hit. I pull out my Ibex and toss it, feels good coming out of my hand then starts it's end of flight fade left, right at the basket, this one hit front chains only to sadly hit the ground and roll right into the water. One day I'll finally get one.
Had a few close calls but those are the only two that actaully hit basket.

Eagle's Edge Brooklyn Park, MN - Hole 7. I've been close on this one several times this year. Friday I hit solid chains and it spit out. It's no monster of a hole for sure but it would have been my first ace. Some day I will break the ice!

photo(2).JPG

>_<!!!!!!!

Hole 9 La Mirada backside , Prodigy M1 180G , no skip it just went straight into the side. This would have been my first ace :doh:

Not sure if this counts as a missed ace because it was a mulligan. I was playing hole 13 of CSUMB Oaks course. It's a 300 foot straight shot with OB about 10 feet left of the basket. I parked my first shot so I figured I'd throw the Zeppelin I just traded for to try to out. It was dead center on the chains the whole way and went straight it. If only it was a real ace and not a mulligan :(

Edit: An actual missed ace story that I forgot about was hole 6 on CSUMB cypress. It's a blind shot with the basket behind a tree. I threw my teebird on a hyzer and out of the hand I knew it was gonna be parked. I then heard it smash chains super hard, so I got excited and ran to where I could see the basket, only to see my poor teebird lying on the ground next to it. That disc really wanted to be retired too.

Last edited:
Lions Park - Altoona, IA

temp tee to # 10 basket

threw a champ roadrunner on an anny, hit the side of the basket and dropped right behind the basket, would have netted me 120 bucks

Lol My brother is still chasing his ace, he's hit the basket on 6 atleast 5 times in the past month with his trident.

1 of em hit the top of the basket, bounced up and hit the top of the rim, bounced out and rolled down the hill lol. It's always so comical, I really hope he hits one soon.

Had a loud, violent chain-out (with a 169g VIP Underworld) on 18 white @ Riverhead field. It ended up less than 5 feet from the basket. I had a hunch that it didn't stick.

96468de2.jpg

note: those lines on the course do not indicate my path there. I threw a rhbh turnover shot straight at that middle oak (above the "v" in blue lines) and that sumbit*h went right for the chains.

Last edited:
Last night I had ace runs on two holes in a row. First one, the disc was going right for the chains and then at the last possible second hit a tree branch to fall just short. On the second one, my X Comet was turning right at the basket and then went through chain height probably no more than 2' behind the chains. It was painful to watch and go through :(

two in one round today. both straight in and right back out. #2 and #18 winton woods. yeah, they're short, but d@mn, TWO in one round...

Hit the basket yesterday at Hole 9 @ Shoaff Park in Fort Wayne, IN with my Star Wraith. Never had an ace, but that's as close as I've come! Heck, I'll take the birdie! Don't get many of those.

Hit the basket on my first throw of a MVP Tensor. It was a dog leg left, thrown straight out RHBH, fade initiated and I was completely blind. I hear the disc on metal, but it wasn't a chains sound... it was a basket sound. I walked up there to find the tensor directly under the basket. Looks like its staying in my bag now...

Last Tuesday, Sunset DGC in Lewiston, ID:

Met some of the local club members and we played teams. I was on the old guys/cute chick team, and we were beating up the metal, but the birdies wouldn't fall. #8, about 200', a nice lefty hyzer available, crowd expectantly watching, nice arc, angles in....

all pole, no hole.

I had the labrum in the my right shoulder repaired last October and have been playing lefty as to scratch that Disc itch. I have gotten better and better. I want a Lefty Ace sooooo bad.

Grayslake Central Park hole 5: super short hole, chains, basket, flipped out… damn it

Warren Park District hole 2: Perfect Lefty Hyzer shot, big line for it, launched one, was steaming as it blasted right thru the chains.

Sooooooon.
:wall:

I had 3 ace runs in a row playing bicentennial park in Crowley. 6,7,8. Each one was closer and closer. On 6 I blew pass the basket about a foot to the left. Downside is the hole goes downhill past the basket so I ended up 35 feet away. I then come to 7 which is a straight uphill shot. I flick it up there and I like my line. I don't hear chains but I know it has to be close. Once I'm up there it's about 3 feet behind the basket and about a foot and a half to the right. So with the left to right fade you know it had to be close. Then I get to 8 the reverse of 7 so it's a straight downhill shot. I again flick it down and it passes the basket about 3 inches from the chains. Again being a downhill shot I blow past. I don't know what's worse have 3 shots leave my hands thinking this could finally end the 7 year drought. Or the fact I blew past them so far that I end up taking a -1 over 3 holes that all had a chance to really make it a good day