• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MN disc golf summer trip...Where should we stay?

joelw23

6 or so friends are planning a trip to MN to disc golf in June. We are looking for ideas on a place to stay..Don't want a hotel, thinking about camping, but are looking for other places: cabins, houses etc for rent at a reasonable price..

Let me know if you know of any..

Thanks!

Minnesota is a bag state with several clumps of areas to play.

Way up north you will be limited to Fond le Lac and Giant's Ridge surrounded by several smaller Duluth courses, but those monsterous courses are definitely worth a look.

Saint Cloud has a few decent courses; Riverside and Cavalry along with Millstream (St. Joseph) which has free onsite camping.

West metro has numerous course worth checking out; Bryant, Plymouth, Crown, Elm Creek, Blue Ribbon Pines. Several of the better ones are pay to play but are definitely worth it.

East has Acorn, Kaposia, The Valley, Oakwood, Lakewood, Red Oak, etc.

Southern Minnesota, while I cannot list off too many courses down there as I have yet to play them, has a fairly active DG scene as well.

As for camping, it seemed easier to find spots out of the metro area, but if you are looking to play multiple courses, be prepared to drive. If you are thinking in the metro area, you are going to be able to hit a ton of courses, but I do not think you will be able to escape the necessity for hotel unless you find someone to bunk with.

Unless someone else chimes in, I think you might be stuck with doing an internet search for cheap places to stay. To my knowledge, the Millstream course is the only free camping site I am aware of it.

Sidenote: What time in June are you coming to Minnesota? In June, I do not have the dates yet but it is traditionally the third or fourth weekend in June, will be the Minnesota Majestic. It has fallen off in recently years for popularity, but it is under new managment this year and they will do their best to bring it back to its former glory. It is a huge tournament and most spots fill up by February. Registration is already up and running on GGGT. Normally it runs Friday through Sunday, both AMs and Pros playing BRP on Friday. Numerous times in the past Ams will play one course on Saturday and the Pros another (usually Kaposia and HSSA) and then swap on Sunday. Last year they played two rounds at BRP (Friday and Saturday) and then one at another course.

For this year, from what I have been hearing they are working on getting four courses ready. I am not exactly sure what that entails because I do not want to speculate beyond what little I do have confirmed.

Regardless, check your calendar when you are coming here. If you want to play in the Majestic, which I strongly urge, make sure you get your accomodations set up early. If not, at least check in with what courses are going to be used that way you do not show up there and are forced to turn away.

By the way, our Am league is going to make a trip to Highbridge, WI. Traditionally this means about 10-12 players. This year we are going to push for better attendance, but I am not holding my breath. August 17-19th.

I just want to add if your looking at camping, MN state parks are excellent, good camping with lots of stuff to do in the parks but also usually close enough to cities that you will never be bored. But just a warning their web site is under construction until March, so this may or may not be the best option.

And just because Scott didn't have any. Cedar Creek is one of two courses in Fairmont and there are few more down there in the southern part of the state, which can be found from the linked course.

Also MN Majestic is June 22-24th this year

Last edited:

Latest posts