• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mold Consolidation - Replacement Disc Advice

If you find the right Cannons you won't need OS Destroyer type stuff. Right now I have 3 Cannons in my bag trying to replace my 5 Destroyers and I think it might work out. I have a flat 174 green Icon that is straight beef, almost 0 turn. An aquaish with a little dome that is an absolute crusher, I'd say it's a -3, 3. And a domey Icon that is flip city, but when I hit it right it outflies the other 2 with EASE.

So yeah, you should give them another go.

well, there is a HYOOOOOGE gap between your average beeftastic CPD2/good PPD2 and a normal giant. the only giant i own that comes close is my FAF giant, and that's much more overstable than a PD2. so yeah. i may wind up just keeping giants if i can't find good PPD2.

i want PPD2 to beat in and season to a main driver, but all of the PPD2 i've found have gross, weird looking poptops with sunken centers and laughably low PLH compared to the one good one i found. i mean, we're talking a full centimeter. one disc's wing sits on top of the other's shoulder. it's dumb. i have a giant i've been working on for a year now and it's starting to straighten out a little more, doesn't fade as early. there's definitely overlap there. but at the same time, P plastic would make this process so much easier.

also bought a trident and a couple icon cannons. very much go far. only got 2 throws in though before work starts here in an hour.

like the trident, may take the xxx out for a while and dick around with it instead. seems like it will roll better and thumb more comfortably. definitely OS, but not meathook status like the xxx. and that's a good thing.

And I'd have to say giants are longer cpd. Pd2 I've got are more like longer somethings I haven't thrown yet. Don't really know. But giants are great for shots thrown flat and hard or big flex shots. Pd2 are kind of in the weird area where you can do everything with a giant that you can with a pd2 except fight monster headwinds.

Last edited:
i lost my ****ing beautiful white PPD2. picked up a major poptop PPD2 that isn't quite as overstable, but still won't turn an inch. it's more like a longer pd. really like it, but also really want my other one back.

cannons are going away; they just dump at the end. i can throw nukes farther and i feel they're more predictable.

picked up a cfr gazelle, was amaaaaaaazing. throw it just as hard as you want, it just goes super straight. i don't need mids with my gazelle and leo. i do a lot of standstill throwing with the leo in the woods. the gazelle just feels like a longer (or shorter) roc shot. really like a tb/roc hybrid. but the champ and star tb are just too overstable to use on a tight fairway when you need minimal fade.

trident is pretty awesome; i've been using it as a fairway in open fields. i don't think it'll hold up to headwind at all like a xxx does though. just based on how it flies right now, i bet it can't handle anything over 20 mph without turning. we'll see!

all in all, having fun messing around. here's what i'm rocking currently.

vp
polecat x2
kc aviar for putts

cfr glo champ gazelle
pro leo

trident
PPD
SPD

Giant
Nuke

i expect that the PPD2 will be able to take over for my seasoned giant shortly after a few good whacks. also picked up a CPD2 that's almost as beefy as my crazy beef FAF tp giant.

having fun! i'm bringing the PD2's with when i throw just to kind of get a feel for what they will and won't do vs a giant. what i really need are more good PPD2. then giants will probably be a thing of the past. wider rim, seasoning up into destroyers, cheaper plastic, shorter break in time, more glide. yes please.

Last edited:
So, I did it. I traded in every single disc I own except for the Polecats, kc aviars and xxx.

Rolling with

Kc aviar
polecat x2

Cfr gazelle
Pro Leo

Ppd
spd
trident

Xxx

Ppd2
Esp nuke

Doing well!

Pias, along with the nice whites. I've been throwing my Leo and gazelle from a standstill. Definitely still some shots I wish I had a roc or comet though, but nothing that can't be overcome from a standstill.

Thinking of putting together a real portable, for fun type bag and getting back to basics.

Soft p anode for drives, approaches and putts.
heavy x comet
vector
pdx2, ppd and cpd or spd.
Pd2, pline or c line, maybe s, I dunno.

so here's what i did today.

wizard x2, one beat to neutral and one fresh for putts.

comet, z.

tensor, meh. was testing it out. it's good. complements the comet well but not as much stability as i was hoping for.

PD x2, ppd for hyzerflips and turnovers, seasoned SPD for everything else.

xxx for xxx stuff.

destroyer x2.

--------------------------------

don't really know what to do with the cfr gazelle/ pro leo while throwing mids that go so far. tempting to keep them around since i know i can really lay into them and i know as ceilings get low they may come in handy. if i do, then i'm just going to keep the cfr gazelle and start beating a dx gazelle into leo stability.

thinking about a dx gator instead of the tensor. i've heard that beaten up dx gators fly like great rocs. any truth to this?

i wouldn't mind a lineup like this

wizard x 2, one beat to sub in for polecat duty and one for putting only.

gator x2, both dx with one beaten up to a workhorse and one to handle the nasty stuff.

comet, probably the z i have right now. it can do everything.

gazelle x2, one cfr and one dx seasoned up for the big turns.

pd x2, one freshish and one seasoned up for turnovers.

xxx

destroyer x3, one freshish and one gstar for big bombs, one freaky OS. maybe just use my CPD2.

thoughts for the future. i'm really interested in these dx gators after reading about them though. i bet i can find a nasty old gator around here in the used bins and get going.

You aren't the only one disappointed with the Tensor, MVP's only real dud as far as I am concerned. Really HSS so you expect to be able to play some fade.......then it just fades like a putter.

The DX Gator sounds like a great idea, even if only to justify keeping those Gazelles in the bag. I'll be interested in hearing how the Gator works out.

I've been thinking about getting a DX Gator and beating it in too.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but I much prefer a beat Gazelle over a Leopard, it's just more consistent for me. Leopards can be a little too finicky for me to trust them. Seems to be a fine line on a hyzer flip between not enough and it turns over to a little too much and it fades out. My Leopard is a star, so I may just have to just beat it in a bit yet.

i'm gonna check out PIAS sports tomorrow; haven't gotten the chance yet. put some big dings in my dx gazelle and i have to say i agree with you. i think it'll do just fine as a leo replacement. i lost my PPD today unfortunately. :( went for all the marbles over a tree on an anny route that never panned out and ended in a pond at the valley. went and played kaposia; played very well. my z comet is my new favorite disc. i've actually been really warming up to the tensor. it'll suck to get rid of it once i season up a gator though.

here's what i'm throwing right now; i decided to change what i'd posted the other day.

wizard x3 (two identical putting wizards since i hate marking my lie. one beaten to neutral/understable for long putts/approach/short drives.)

vp

neutron tensor
z comet

dx gazelle
cfr glo gazelle

spd
ppd (all out distance driver for now)

cpd2 (big beef)
ppd2 flat rip distance. it's starting to season and i'm beginning to reeeeeally like it.

xxx

--------------------

here's the plan.

wizx3

gator x2
comet

gazelle x2

pd x2

pd2 x2

xxx

Put together a minimal bag.

Soft proton anode for putts and drives.
Tangent
Wasp
Ppd
Spd
Cpd2
H1

Works pretty damn well. Miss the big distance, but whatever. Also I don't remember why I ever liked putting with the soft proton anodes. They are just way too flexible. I will probably add my kc aviar back for putts only and keep the anode for drives and approaches. Really love the wasp! Definitely a premium plastic roc feel to it. Mine is really flat though.

IMAG0550_zpsewe6luze.jpg~320x480

Haven't thrown with a setup this slim in ages. If I add my kc aviar it's 8...I dunno. I think that's about as minimal as I am comfortable with unless I ditch the anode and sub in just the tangent instead, which could work. Definitely miss having destroyers on holes over 390'.

Last edited:

Latest posts