• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

monarchs available?

seems to me that its flight ratings pretty much match an avenger ss, with a modified rim.

I threw my new 169g Monarch in a field today, alongside my Champ Sidewinder. I can't really tell the difference between the two -- EXCEPT when throwing at less than 100% power. In that case, the Monarch doesn't turn as much, which makes sense if it's theoretically a notch "faster." So, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it in my bag, except that it's a beauuuutiful magenta. :)

I let my group try one out. The comments were mostly favorable, but you need to throw it hard or it will just hyzer out on you. Sure has a funky rim, but I did not find it to be that obvious when thrown.

Thrown hard it has nice movement and great glide.

It is fun to throw (you can do a "Hey ya'll, watch this!"), but probably not a permanent addition to my bag.

if all you who arent impressed want to get rid of those Monarchs give my trade list a peek and i'll take em off your hands

got a Monarch today. it flies cool, i'll get to that later...

it IS a wraith!
wraith top, wraith wing... + wing groove. if you bridged the groove, it'd be identical to a wraith wing. apparently the redistribution of weight adds some glide and high-speed turn. this disc could just as well have been prototyped and tested by routing the groove into a stock champ wraith.

now for the flight... i put my SOLS, flipper MOLS, QOLF, and Monarch within 10 feet (laterally) of each other, with less than 5 feet distance variance. this was a full-power pull to clear a creek and get specific placement on the green. i guess all that means is that i was able to control them similarly. it flew most like the SOLS. (new, with flashing)

in a tailwind, it flew just like my flipper MOLS. in a headwind, it turned over just a little more than my SOLS (slight hyzer) and MOLS (more hyzer) .... i throw those to flip up and S out, and it did the same thing.

basically it flies like my Orion LS's. i don't carry and haven't thrown wraiths much, but they're pretty much a hair-faster OLS. as far as i'm concerned, this is the closest i've got to a QOLS in my bag. marginally wider rim.

not a bad disc. it might stay. right now i'm totally satisfied with just a 160 SOLS and 172 beat MOLS for long -straight and -turnover slots. having a flippy Champ for straight/turn-with-fade might serve a purpose. i actually parked some nice hyzer shots with it, just flipping up to glide a little farther.

Recommended weight for Monarchs?

I've never thrown any discs that are molded to have a lot of turn like a Roadrunner or Monarch.Do you go heavy or light for discs like this? I want to get a Monarch but I'm not sure what weight to get.

I'm afraid that if I go light, then it will just dive straight into the ground. But if I go heavy, will it hurt the glide that this disc is famous for?

For reference, I'm currently hyzer-flipping discs like Valks, Beasts, and Teebirds in the 390-420 foot range.

ZAMson said:
i was wrong... it's a Valk top. must've been a really hot day :)

still flies just like my SOLS

except my SOLS gets thrown :)
feel free to ship it this way if you dont like it :)

Jesse B 707 said:
feel free to ship it this way if you dont like it :)
are you kidding?? apparently you haven't seen the funny-looking wing!

it's a keeper, duh. just look at it :)

(i hear the next tourny's getting some Zamned Monarchs, so i'll keep it in mind)

Never thrown a SOLS before, but if it flies like the Monarch I will soon.

I keep trying the Monarch and I have been really surprised at how far it flies. I am having a tough time not keeping in the bag. I use it on holes where I was throwing a semi-beat DX Eagle. I switched because the Eagle can get a little unpredictable. I thought "hey, I wonder how the Monarch would do on this hole?".

I will say that I find it to be pretty unforgiving. I can throw a bad shot with a Champ Eagle or Teebird and still be ok. A bad shot with the Monarch is a BAD SHOT!

As for now, it has been great. Time will tell....

discdawg said:
Never thrown a SOLS before, but if it flies like the Monarch I will soon.

I keep trying the Monarch and I have been really surprised at how far it flies. I am having a tough time not keeping in the bag. I use it on holes where I was throwing a semi-beat DX Eagle. I switched because the Eagle can get a little unpredictable. I thought "hey, I wonder how the Monarch would do on this hole?".

I will say that I find it to be pretty unforgiving. I can throw a bad shot with a Champ Eagle or Teebird and still be ok. A bad shot with the Monarch is a BAD SHOT!

As for now, it has been great. Time will tell....
it IS really unforgiving of bad nose angle from my experience if you get it nose up it will just keep going up to about 150 feet(high) and stall out. that being said i LOVE my monarch it flat out BOMBS! with that extra glide i can push it out to almost 400 on a pure hyzer! and get shocking distance on super low lines(or big max d lines) too

I finally got to throw this disc today even though I am injured and I have to say that I am impressed. I am only able to throw at 3/4 speed and I was able to get it out around 300 feet regularly with little effort. For comparison, I average not much better than this when healthy.

My son cranked this bad boy over 450 ft with a slight tail wind on his first throw. He was also able to get it to hold one of the smoothest long range anny lines I have ever seen (411ft). When he threw it hard and low it appeared to turn faster like a road runner.

In to the wind it was less predictable but I would have to say this is a god tail wind driver for higher power throwers and a real long and straight driver for players with less power. Just my .02 worth after a one practice session in the field.

When I first tried this disc, I was not a big fan. It did not work well on long slow annys like a leopard does. It flips much faster, and comes out much harder at the end. I eventually found that this disc is very long and controllable when thrown with a big hzyer, it will stand up, and fade at the end. Because of its abillity to stand up out of a deep hyser, it is longer than my destroyers on hyser lines. It also works well as a tailwind driver. I just think it is a little too finicky to use for annys, a shot that already has a low margin for error.

Anyone thrown both Monarch and Snap Helios? Which is the glide king or neither? ESP Flash? How do these discs fare in glide weight for weight and which flies farthest on golf lines and maximum distance lines? Wouldn't Flash fly the lowest on golf lines because of higher (my assumption) high speed stability? Meaning being able to use more speed with the Flash.

JR said:
Anyone thrown both Monarch and Snap Helios? Which is the glide king or neither? ESP Flash? How do these discs fare in glide weight for weight and which flies farthest on golf lines and maximum distance lines? Wouldn't Flash fly the lowest on golf lines because of higher (my assumption) high speed stability? Meaning being able to use more speed with the Flash.
the helios glides just a tad more than the Monarch, the helios will fly a bit further on a max D line than a Monarch but i get much more usable golf D from the Monarch as the Helios it WAY too flippy and unpredictable to throw on most lower lines. the Monarch is at least 2x as controlable as any helios and far more versatile. in short Helios=poop Monarch=$$$. i will be curious to try a premium plastic Helios though

Wow, more glide than the Monarch? I have to try this disc, even if it is flippy as all hell. The glide on the Monarch still impresses me every time I throw it.

roman said:
Wow, more glide than the Monarch? I have to try this disc, even if it is flippy as all hell. The glide on the Monarch still impresses me every time I throw it.
NO please dont try it. the amount of height these things need to even think about fading back is unrealistic on 99.9% of golf holes. i was throwing them on almost a 45 degree hyzer and they would still turn into a roller

Jesse B 707 said:
roman said:
NO please dont try it. the amount of height these things need to even think about fading back is unrealistic on 99.9% of golf holes. i was throwing them on almost a 45 degree hyzer and they would still turn into a roller

If I recall correctly the EGR Helios you threw wasn't max weight. What was it? I imagine that a max weight Helios might work for finessed long throws. There's a mouthful and a contradiction if there ever was one :) I've intentionally passed on the EGR in wait of FGR that was promised to ship to the States this week by mattlock on the PDGA forum. I was mainly thinking these for hyzer flip max D and throwing under branches low to the ground for getting out of trouble. meaning where you lack room to throw properly.

I've been looking at Monarchs keenly too. I just don't know which weight to get. Locally 173-175 are available but I've read that weight for weight Roadrunner flies farther. It's just gonna beat quickly to unpredictable and flippy while not rolling well. IME. Since Monarchs come in lower weights I think I want a minimum weight one if I can handle a heavy one. Don't know anyone who has one so I'll probably get one heavy locally and decide afterward if I dare to try a light one. I'm gonna get a Helios FGR for max D just don't know if EGR glides farther as happens with many other molds.

I'm afraid that a monarch overlaps with my 174 Opto Vision which is a slightly better Sidewinder in flight. More predictable. Might be longer though. Vision is almost as picky about all angles as a Sidewinder for max D and really isn't that long. Easy to get far if angles are correct meaning needs little power. Unfortunately it gets very demanding of angles if full power is applied. I've got discs already that are longer than the Vision.