• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More international stars in Finland Tali Open 2009

JR

* Ace Member *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDzloMGRm8o

Cameramen the usual suspects lcgm8 from youtube, mafa and me from DGR. Editing by lcgm8. The amount of time these videos take to make is astounding. There's hours upon hours of videos from 3 cameras to sift through to pick the most interesting shots etc. Huge props to Juha for the work!!!

Climo and Feldberg weren't present but I'm waiting for footage of Burl who wasn't presented yet. That is if there's good footage of her. I got bad luck for her videoed but not lot of other shots dunno about the other cameras. Hole proved to be surprisingly tough for many top players not just Burl, Jesper and Toni the head wind at the top of the hill isn't easy to feel at the tee. Yes Toni Asikainen can put most of the players in the world to school he's that good. To my knowledge he's the longest continuously playing discer in Finland with decades under his belt.

Check out one of the, if not the, best sidearmer and tommy thrower in one package Ville Piippo. He's the reigning European Champion.

See if you can identify Latitude 64 disc designer and Open division doubles world champion Tomas Ekström. I wouldn't wonder if Blake had gotten some of his knowledge from him. That is to say: Pure gold to have footage of him.

Impressive footage. I love the multiply camera angles; the best I've seen. You can tell you guys worked hard on it, it shows. Props!

I second that. Great footage. This is the kind of thing that we keep hearing isn't possible, yet, here it is. Great quality, multi-angle footage of tournament play. Fantastic job!

black udder said:
This is the kind of thing that we keep hearing isn't possible, yet, here it is.

Excellent work guys! These videos are fantastic!

masterbeato said:
when is pt2 coming out?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctt9ifsXElI&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmIDg_9G_g

On behalf of the team thanks so much guys. It's a lot of work and it' nice to know that all the effort wasn't for nothing. Please tell your friends of these videos because I think it's so good footage and action that everybody should see it. Disc golfer or not. Now that we've raised the bar (par?) on disc golf videos I'm interested in seeing what others will do. I hope that more professional looking videos and hopefully DVDs makes this sport more visible and palatable for media and sponsors so that the sport takes the next step forward.

Juha went all out on these ones and it is jaw droppingly awesome despite me having shot some of that footage and knowing what was going on and having experimented with Avery Jenkins with multiple angles. I was learning on the job and was noticeably better at the EO. It's so great footage that it it hurts to see how poor many of my shots were -taken with a monopod that made grating sound as I rotated it. The yanking pans are my fault. As a consequence I don't recommend monopods for panned shots.

What's surprising is that Juha(lcgm8) met mafa and me for the first time during doubles and this footage was taken two days later without planning how we're filming and who films what, who and from where. All we did was to try to stay out of each others shots and moving between holes saying who's gonna film the thrower and who's farther away. We leapfrogged sometimes to allow both cameras to be set up properly. Leapfrogging in proper places saves a lot of time and helps to increase the quality of the footage. At times we had to do some crowd control to get any footage. I used four languages so all the studying didn't go to waste :-D

Of course it helps that each cameraman is a player and at least me and mafa have seen many DG DVDs. It was a labor of love and there's more greetings from Finland with love to be seen later. Not just Tali Open. More of that later when I have permission to tell of it. It was nice to get compliments from frisbeesports because he is a discing world champion and a true one man show in promoting disc sports in Finland. Props coming from someone who's gone extra miles for over two decades is heart warming indeed. He gave advice IRL on another occasion of how to make the vids even better so that the footage is even more sellable to broadcasting. Cooldaddyslickbreeze has already done a bit of storytelling in his vids. It's definitely something that needs to be considered for future productions. Interviews like some Clash DVDs can also shed light on the background and involve even the uninitiated viewers. Player commenting is also great on some existing DVDs. Bringing all the goodies together should top most other sports in video presentation interest.

After all discs flying beautifully and far is self evident and a person who knows nothing of the sport can enjoy the visual beauty right from the start. I challenge every cameraperson to top these videos and do every player a favor by pushing the sport into new territory. One day wide scale broadcasting on television is a must when all the ideas click together and the action is good enough. Lets make the sport exciting to everyone. Maybe our loved ones and outsiders stop viewing us as odd people going gaga throwing a piece of plastic.

You guys do an outstanding job. I've watched the EO clips over and over, and while the matches themselves are the main draw, I think it's the production that keeps me coming back to see them again. These are great to watch as well, keep up the great work.

Juha's finger is hurt and it's painful to even edit so it takes as long as it takes. OTOH he told me that he's already thrown a disc which is good because he filmed all of the vids shown so far with lots of painkillers. He couldn't operate his camera properly due to the injury so it's even more remarkable how steady his footage is because he doesn't use any kind of mounts which give smoother pans but must be a pain to hold the camera steady for so long. He really is a hero of disc golf filming.

Mafa got a new camera stabilizer that is a bit tricky to use but he's tamed it a bit. I got a low success rate with it yesterday trying it out for the first time. The benefit was that I could rest the stabilizer on my chest grabbing the stabilizer in front of the camera for equally good results to Juha's footage. And the setup is so light that it's much easier ad faster to use than monopods and tripods that we used at Tali and the European Open. Now non jerky panning is a breeze and not a source of aggravation to the cameraman and the viewer alike. I foresee good things in the future. We got very promising clips of putting and drives. Hollywood style.

awesome footage guys. You've heard it before, I've said it before!

I really enjoyed watching the play. The course looked challenging and fun to play.

Thanks so much for your time and effort not only in putting it together, but making it available to us all via youtube.

Thanks for all the team BU and you're welcome. There are more goodies coming probably all through fall and winter to stave off cabin fever and DG drought.

I was certainly not expecting to be on the main page of the PDGA but that's life for you. Surprising. As long as Tali Open Final part 4 is the video of the week at PDGA main page that's my fifteen minutes. I'm the camera guy in the picture. Oddly enough because that is the third hole in that clip. I don't know why the youtube video link pic is from the middle of that clip.

Latest posts