• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Comfortable Bags

gusz

First post! What are some of the most comfortable bags? I am currently just using a backpack and want to play more than 1 round in a day, but on long courses my back is killing me after 1 round. It seems to me like the newer vertical style bags like the lat 64 easy-go would be better for your back as the weight is spread out, but that bag seems like it would be awfully tippy.

It depends on how many discs you carry in a round, but try out any bag from uppeparkdesigns.com. I have been very pleased with my Rebel V3. Super comfortable, light weight, big (enough for me) pockets, and it holds my 32 oz nalgene bottle perfectly. Also, they have a great warranty if something is not right. I had a tear in some stitching when I received my initial bag. Called customer service, and with no questions asked, I had a new replacement bag in 5 days.

Fossa Tana Pro has exceptional padding on both the straps and backside of the bag. Fits comfortably and rides above your lower back.

It depends on how many discs you carry in a round, but try out any bag from uppeparkdesigns.com. I have been very pleased with my Rebel V3. Super comfortable, light weight, big (enough for me) pockets, and it holds my 32 oz nalgene bottle perfectly. Also, they have a great warranty if something is not right. I had a tear in some stitching when I received my initial bag. Called customer service, and with no questions asked, I had a new replacement bag in 5 days.

This. Just got my Rebel V3 yesterday. Looks bombproof and has a ton of padding. Taking it out for a round on Saturday for the first time. I expect I will love it. If not, I will post here with any issues/complaints.

The L64 easy go or Fossa version of the same bag, or the UPD Shift is probably the way to go. For a bit larger bag, the DD Ranger is really comfortable too but getting up there in price compared to the other 3.

I have tried the following bags:

Lat Luxury E1 and E2
UPD Shift and Focus
Grip A14
Revolution Carolina and Dual Pack
Dynamic Ranger
Innova Hero Pack
NutSac
Fade Crunch

Latitude Luxury E2 wins for storage and just making sure you have everything with you. Revolution Dual Pack comes in second. Nothing else I have used was able to allow me to play a round with all my discs and still has room for me to carry my camera equipment.

For comfort, the Grip easily wins. It is very well built but still light. Getting discs in and out is a breeze, and it carries everything I need (aside for my photography equipment).

For a secure feeling while walking, the Revolution Dual Pack wins here. It has a chest and a waist strap. The Grip at least has a chest snap. Oddly, or maybe not, if I know I am going to talk more than 200 feet, I like to snap the bag tight against me. I do not like my balance being thrown off with a shifting bag, or have to worry about it falling off my shoulder.

For quick practice rounds, I usually use my NutSac or Grip, but the best seemed to be my Crunch. It has the essential room for my keys, phone, and maybe a drink, but it does not hinder playing quick but still carries enough discs where I can unload on a hole if I want to. The Focus I have is the early generation, so it only fits five discs, six if I force it. When snapped tight against me, I can even throw with the Focus on, but if you cannot reach your discs while it is strapped to your back, what is the point of being able to throw with it strapped to you? I have found a way where I can securely strap it to my chest and not my back, so that I never have to take off the bag. It looks weird, and is slightly uncomfortable, but I never have to take it off when I throw, and the discs are right there. Still, the Crunch wins.

As far as comfort goes, I think the three you'll most often see praised, in no particular order, are: Pound, Upper Park, and Grip. Not that other bags aren't comfortable, but these are the ones that are praised highly in that regard.

I think you need to figure out more specifically what you want to carry, what requirements are absolutely essential, and narrow your choices down and then compare those. It does you no good to get a comfortable Shift if you need to carry 23 discs. And if you hate water bladders and must have two 32 oz drink holders, then that rules out some bags.

This vague request is going to be a list of responses of people's favorite bags, but doesn't really address your specific needs. Let's get there first.

Ya you are right I should have been more specific. I currently only carry about 10 discs, but I would say I only really use 8. I do plan on playing for a long time to come but I am not sure what I will end up wanting in my bag. Right now I font use distance drivers at all as I have a really hard time controlling them and I end up getting the same distance as my much more controllable fairways. As time goes on I expect this to change as my form improves. Realistically I don't see myself going past 10-15 discs needed for a round anytime soon.

Another thing I need to consider is weight so I may actually want to keep the bag slim just to reduce the weight. Outside of discs I just have 1 water bottle, towels, keys, cell, scorecard/clipboard, and wallet (wallet and keys could be left in car really).

I dont need 2 32oz water bottle holders.Rounds last like 2 hours then you are back to your car where you can have more water stored so I don't really get the need for 2 outside of having 1 for a caddy. Maybe in really hot/dry climates I guess? That being said I wont mind if there are 2.

I should also mention that carts wont work for a few of my home courses especially in spring as there is a ton of water retention. I would like to avoid them for the time being.

So to summarize:

Comfort and back/neck relief is #1 priority by a mile
10-15 discs (not picky at the moment)
Only needs 1 bottle holder
No carts for now
Price is not an issue

Thanks for the help guys, been looking around here and it seems like an awesome community.

Good list. Now we can get somewhere.

I don't have a ton of experience using many of the smaller backpack options, but what you just stated sounds pretty perfect for the Upper Park Designs Shift.

My fiancé has had one for a couple of years, and it is incredibly light and very comfortable. I've liked hers so much that I have one arriving tomorrow to complement my Grip A-Series. It is significantly lighter than the full sized Grip. The storage in the main compartment could hold a second water bottle should you find it necessary. Based on the number of discs you do carry, you'd still have room to grow into it.

There are a few reviews on Youtube also if you want to get a little more of a visual, but the Shift would be my recommendation.

At 10-15 discs, the current Pound bags are overkill for you. However, I've heard that Pound is going to be releasing a more minimalist bag. You may want to wait and see what those look like. The current Pound bags are among the most comfortable for people who carry 20+ discs.

A note on the water bottle requirement:
I'd highly recommend going to a bladder-type hydration system. Water is probably the heaviest single item that most disc golfers carry. If that water is in a bottle, that weight has to be near the outside edges of the backpack for access. It's just not great ergonomics. On the other hand, a water bladder can be located in the middle of the bag and close to your back. That's the most efficient way to locate the weight for ease of carrying.

I have heard a lot of good things about the UPD Shift, but it's a pet peeve of mine that the water bottle storage is located as far as possible from your body while you carry the pack.

At 10-15 discs, the current Pound bags are overkill for you. However, I've heard that Pound is going to be releasing a more minimalist bag. You may want to wait and see what those look like. The current Pound bags are among the most comfortable for people who carry 20+ discs.

A note on the water bottle requirement:
I'd highly recommend going to a bladder-type hydration system. Water is probably the heaviest single item that most disc golfers carry. If that water is in a bottle, that weight has to be near the outside edges of the backpack for access. It's just not great ergonomics. On the other hand, a water bladder can be located in the middle of the bag and close to your back. That's the most efficient way to locate the weight for ease of carrying.

I have heard a lot of good things about the UPD Shift, but it's a pet peeve of mine that the water bottle storage is located as far as possible from your body while you carry the pack.

Point taken on water location, but I will say the Shift carries so well that I don't really notice a full or empty water bottle pocket. Just my limited experience using my fiancé's.

I've only tried three different backpack designs but the most comfortable is actually my 30$ agame backpack. Its nice.

If you pick up my Rebel by the top handle, you'd probably call it heavy. Put it on your back, and it disappears. It's one of the best products I've ever used in any category.

If you pick up my Rebel by the top handle, you'd probably call it heavy. Put it on your back, and it disappears. It's one of the best products I've ever used in any category.

I have the Shift and I agree with this statement.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 10 discs weigh more than one Nalgene of water.

For a taller slim bag, the most comfortable bag I've carried is a Grip C15.

Not a lot of extra storage (enough for me), but for casual play, it's nice.

The shift is comfortable, convenient, and the disc ergonomics are the best imo. The shift also topples on hillsides pretty easily, and that's its only fault.

I definitely agree with this statement. And I would say the exact same thing about my Octohaul- it's heavy to carry by the handle, but on the back it's very well distributed and comfortable.

I have tried the following bags:

Lat Luxury E1 and E2
UPD Shift and Focus
Grip A14
Revolution Carolina and Dual Pack
Dynamic Ranger
Innova Hero Pack
NutSac
Fade Crunch

Latitude Luxury E2 wins for storage and just making sure you have everything with you. Revolution Dual Pack comes in second. Nothing else I have used was able to allow me to play a round with all my discs and still has room for me to carry my camera equipment.

For comfort, the Grip easily wins. It is very well built but still light. Getting discs in and out is a breeze, and it carries everything I need (aside for my photography equipment).

For a secure feeling while walking, the Revolution Dual Pack wins here. It has a chest and a waist strap. The Grip at least has a chest snap. Oddly, or maybe not, if I know I am going to talk more than 200 feet, I like to snap the bag tight against me. I do not like my balance being thrown off with a shifting bag, or have to worry about it falling off my shoulder.

For quick practice rounds, I usually use my NutSac or Grip, but the best seemed to be my Crunch. It has the essential room for my keys, phone, and maybe a drink, but it does not hinder playing quick but still carries enough discs where I can unload on a hole if I want to. The Focus I have is the early generation, so it only fits five discs, six if I force it. When snapped tight against me, I can even throw with the Focus on, but if you cannot reach your discs while it is strapped to your back, what is the point of being able to throw with it strapped to you? I have found a way where I can securely strap it to my chest and not my back, so that I never have to take off the bag. It looks weird, and is slightly uncomfortable, but I never have to take it off when I throw, and the discs are right there. Still, the Crunch wins.

always nice to hear from someone with some credibility.

still waiting on reports from the fossa slim. as I lean towards smaller more minimalist type bags..

come on guys I built my first bag out of ductape. the only other bag option was gateway.. so you know, I don't need bells and whistles.

currently I carry the small grip bag. very comfortable. but I think I'm always open to any innovation that will improve comfort, function and play.

Latest posts