• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Consistant Putting Style

noah1

Par Member
Which Putting Style gives you the most consistent putting style while introducing the least amount of variables? What I'm currently doing is turning sideways to the basket and release a hard straight shot at the tee and hoping it doesn't fly by and then turn left. I want something that's more consistent, but doesn't introduce a ton of variables and I can be comfortable with it at different ranges. I'd be happy if it worked relatively well out to 70' but if I could get it out to 100' that'd be even better. What would you advise? I've done a lot of reading on what makes a good putter good, but I'm not sure of a good style to really go after and watch videos on to really get it down.

Thanks

If my accuracy starts to get squirrelly...I will switch to a straddle putt from 25 and in. The straddle probably has the least amount of variance for me.

Blake's article on the short-arm putting style is excellent. It is a great style because it eliminates any left to right movement if you are doing it properly. You are pitching the disc out and not really trying to throw it. So the only misses you should have should be high or low. Another reason I prefer this style of putt is that you are not judging distance and you keep the putter flat and straight into the basket. No hyzer putting where you have to have it hook in at just the right time and no lofty putts that get eaten by the wind. Plus it works great from a straddle stance as well.

For short ranges laser line putting. No aiming compensation up/down or Sideways off of the the space you wanna hit. Chest square to the target and straight quick push on a vector towards the target. Can't get more simple than that and that's why I adopted that. I'm stupid so KISS works for me obviously or was it the other way around?

Ive been doing a lot of putting practice lately and im no authority on putting, but Ive found that any technique that has a lot of wrist action is inconsistent for me. My most consistent putt is one where I keep my wrist from moving too much. I noticed after watching a vid of myself putting that I was lifting my chin during the putt. Since stopping this I have noticed an increase in consistency. Its all about eliminating variables from your technique.

schla104 said:
Blake's article on the short-arm putting style is excellent. It is a great style because it eliminates any left to right movement if you are doing it properly. You are pitching the disc out and not really trying to throw it. So the only misses you should have should be high or low. Another reason I prefer this style of putt is that you are not judging distance and you keep the putter flat and straight into the basket. No hyzer putting where you have to have it hook in at just the right time and no lofty putts that get eaten by the wind. Plus it works great from a straddle stance as well.

Is there a link to this article?

Your focus should be on 30' and in, not 70'-100'.

A straddle type putt is the most stable, just because you have both feet flat on the ground through the entire throw. However, there are many folks out there with other throws that have become consistent through repetition.

My own 2 cents is that while the straddle might be harder to grasp and perform correctly, it yields the biggest consistency fastest. The other putts might be easier to perform, but take longer to yield consistent results.

You should be able to putt 30'-40' from a straddle without too much adjustment. Further if you practice and extend your reach back and follow-through. You can add a jump (like Barry or Ken) for more distance if you need it.

While I've seen somebody putt sideways, and putt super distances with it. If they're off at all, they could easily put up another 2-3 putts. For me, I might miss the first, but the 2nd is going in for sure.

I wouldn't think twice about changing your stance from maybe 60' and in vs 60' and out. From the 60' and out range you should be able to put it within 20' so you have an easy out.

Dogma said:
latitude said:
Is there a link to this article?
Here's the DGR instructional articles page. Look at the second one under putting.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles.shtml
I am one for Blakes putting approach. I am getting consistent with it. I didn't think I was as good as others who were in my division until it was a windy day. They were all over the place. I continued the same motion with no problems at all.

Just read the article today and then out back to the practice basket. WOW! My putting just improved 100 percent! I need to read every article and then reread them.

Thanks Blake and DGR!! :D