• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Most Consistent Production

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
Is there a consensus as to which manufacturer produces the most consistent discs run after run? If so, what is it? If not, what do you think?

I used to hate the inconsistency but have learned to love it. Having the same mold that feel good in my hand and comfortable to throw but that cover a wide range of lines is a blessing.

Buying online can make it tough but in person where you can check PLH and dome eliminates the guesswork.

The most consistent companies should theoretically be the ones that don't have many runs. Wouldn't Salient be pretty good?

I have had very good experience with Discraft, as someone mentioned, but even Discraft has variation. And as was also said, some variation isn't always a bad thing.

Pick the newest manufacturer who has the fewest runs of each mold. That will be most consistent... for a little while :)
As far as old manufacturers go, I would say Discraft has a slight edge. Never had issues with excessive flashing etc. Their stamp quality is questionable, though.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which disc company makes the most consistent disc. I am sure though that Lat64/Westside/Dynamic make the LEAST consistent discs. You really never know what you're getting there until you throw them. Their fast drivers are all over the place.

Massive stability inconsistency.

Of the big name disc brands I'd say Discraft is probably the most consistent. They put out a good product and I don't see tons of variance from disc to disc.

IMO MVP might be best overall. All of the rest(even discraft) have a lot of big difference on some molds.

Respectfully disagree, and I have the inconsistent MVP Waves to prove it.

As to most consistent, I'm not sure there is any company that is consistently consistent. I do think Innova gets a rap for inconsistency because of the sheer volume of discs they make, especially in super-popular molds like the Destroyer.

A lot of people say Discraft is the most consistent, and maybe they are, but they'll have their inconsistencies from time to time. Ditto that for Trilogy discs, especially higher speed stuff.

Respectfully disagree, and I have the inconsistent MVP Waves to prove it.

As to most consistent, I'm not sure there is any company that is consistently consistent. I do think Innova gets a rap for inconsistency because of the sheer volume of discs they make, especially in super-popular molds like the Destroyer.

A lot of people say Discraft is the most consistent, and maybe they are, but they'll have their inconsistencies from time to time. Ditto that for Trilogy discs, especially higher speed stuff.

I would not say that any company does drivers 100%, most companies have tons of variation in anything over speed 9.

I've has a bunch of Envy's/Atom/Motion/Crave that were all very close.

Even Discraft is spotty on drivers.

The wider the wing, the more inconsistent a disc is gonna be whomever makes it. MVP had a great reputation for consistency until they started getting 10speed and above discs. I really think it also depends on the climate where the factories are. The more stable the air pressure/humidity the better and more consistent the discs will be.

All companies have inconsistencies, it's inevitable. Slightly different temperature or humidity or a different agent in making a certain color may cause the disc to be gummy or cool faster or slower or be domey or flat or anything. Different injection molding machines being used produce very slightly different discs. I think for the most part all major manufacturers have the process down to enough of a science to say, for instance, my wraiths (any and all of them) are wraiths. Yes they'll vary and I'll adjust and enjoy the plethora of shots i can cover with them. Discraft is consistent until you love a Buzzz. They're great but they crank out more of them than any of their molds so guess what? They get less individual attention and they're a little less consistent, but they're all Buzzzes. And so on.

I've seen plenty of inconsistency with Discraft. Remember the Flash? Some versions of it were a great driver, but it was all over the board. I've thrown Nukes that were all over the board as well. I've even thrown a wide variety of Buzzzes with slight stability variation although nothing like so bad as faster discs. I'd say that most mids designed to be flat (or even slower drivers designed to be flat) tend to be more consistent overall. Because smaller wings mold up more consistently, the dome seems to be the biggest factor for slow discs, so if they're all flat then they tend to be more consistent. So the Buzzz tends to be slightly more consistent than the Roc in my experience.

Nearly all of MVP's discs until they started doing faster drivers were designed to be pretty flat and were relatively consistent. Even then though there were plenty of examples of inconsistency. Remember first run Shocks (way less stable)? Or sparkle Craves (also less stable)? Or domey Vectors (more overstable)? And there's plenty of people who complain these days about the newer MVP plastic blends being softer than older blends and whatnot. I'm not saying MVP is terribly bad. They might be better than most, but there's still plenty of inconsistency to go around.

Anyway, there are examples of inconsistency within every brand. It's just not financially viable to use a molding process guaranteed to produce a consistent disc and plastic. If they did, every disc would cost $30+ and no one would buy them. Embrace the inconsistency. When you find a run you like, buy 5 of them. It's just the only way to go.

I think most people would say that the traditional answer is Discraft of which I am a thrower but I would say that variance will always be a factor.

Yes I agree with Discraft though some plastics might feel different in some molds of discs from run to run, the flight pattern is the MOST constant. Another good answer is/was Lighting discs however the brand is bought out and we have yet to see New molding of the same plastic from the company that bought them out. I think that had to do with the fact they only had/have one disc over a 9/10 speed. l have been told that Millennium is fairly constant and has started putting number runs on the disc they make since a point in the late 2000's early 2010's.

Most inconstant was Innova but the 3 top/flat top discs kind of helped restore a bit of reputation to a brand that was having dome be the biggest factor in disc inconstancy. Also Star was inconstant with flashing but now that seems to be much less then the era right before Innova made the discs with flight numbers on the discs themselves. Now I wonder if Prodigy is most inconstant Disc manufacture as the discs have problems every so often when they have to retool all the molds back to original. A guy I watch online Rec Rob for his videos used to use the Swedish made Trilogy disc before going to Prodigy for 2017 then going back to the Swedish made Trilogy discs as the mold ups of the Prodigy discs were becoming inconsistent again for the older molds when he was using new of those discs in late 2017. Before that he could get a disc of the same mold dome and have it fly the same nearly as his old disc. The new discs you could not tell if a new disc of same mold with same dome would fly the same as a old mold. Problem was with anything past baseline plastic.

Discraft and MVP.

I agree with that as Discraft has nearly the same flight for discs from run to run. However in terms of plastic feeling the same I have had discs in ESP from Discraft that some were as durable as ESP should be and others are softer like a double/tripple strength X. The Z can feel either minimal tacky or super slick but most of that depends on the mold of disc being made. The Discraft Pro D can be a bit off and is one of the worse baseline plastics due to that with the same mold of disc in same plastic one can be almost as soft as Soft Pro D and another is the way modern Pro D made after 2005 should feel. Odd since DGA made in same factory has its D baseline plastic so consistent. :confused: However that might just be due to the much lesser numbers the DGA discs are made in.

A few thoughts on consistency...

1) For the most part, Discraft seems to exhibit less inconsistency than the other big name manufacturers, but as others have pointed out, even they have their issues.

2) Even if Innova has a similar percentage of discs deemed to be inconsistent, given their greater volume, it means Innova simply has more ( in terms of sheer numbers) inconsistent disc (relative to the standard for that mold) than other manufacturers.

3) I think inconsistency from disc to disc is more apparent in faster molds simpler beacuse we throw them harder/ faster... so differences in stability seem amplified, because discs can go further from the intended line.

4) While I appreciate the post that said some inconsistency can be good, because once you find a mold that feels good to you, it's nice to be able to get some variation in stability to basically fill other slots once you land on a mold.

I much rather achieve that same effect by selecting different plastics/weights, in a more predictable manner...as opposed to bagging runs that perform differently. While you can make inconsistency work for you, I still wouldn't say it's a good thing.

You buy a mold you're familiar with because of specific expectations based on years of observation. When it doesn't perform as expected, it's bad. Sure, it's nice if you find a legit use for it, but you got it with something else in mind... and there's a pretty good chance you're still looking to fill that need.

Last edited:
I've seen plenty of inconsistency with Discraft. Remember the Flash? Some versions of it were a great driver, but it was all over the board.

Flash was my main distance driver for years for this reason, I could cover all stability ranges with one mold! I have a Z that is firebird-like, and the first run ESP's are almost rollers out of the box.

Not really getting all of the Discraft love here. IMO the big players are all more or less the same. At least Millenium puts the run on the disc.

Is there any possibility, from a business point of view, that a company would "intentionally" introduce variation as a means to faciliate additional sales?