• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving sticks or dirt bombs?

Billym

Eagle Member
I am a new player just starting to compete in my local weekly leagues.
Last night at a course where they rototilled the ground on some fairways to prevent brush fires I kicked a dirt bomb from behind my lie so I could put my foot there. Was that a no no?
Can one move a dead branch on the ground behind their lie so they can throw from behind their marker?
Thanks
Billy

It is all fine as long as the stick/ dirt clod etc. doesn't in some way also go in front of your lie.

It is all fine as long as the stick/ dirt clod etc. doesn't in some way also go in front of your lie.

Thanks guys.
Here is one more.
I play at a very watery local course. If you land in a swamp but your disc is less tha n2 meters high and dry hanging on the reed tops but your feet will get wet while playing the lie is that a water penalty?
Thanks
Billy

rehder said:
Is the swamp/water ob or casual? If its normally ob, I would say its ob.
Very grey, some is marked as OB but most is very open to interpretation and depending on rain/no rain (we're in Cali) it is water or not.
Here is an example; an an year creek tha now has 2-3 feet of watercress growing in it too thick to see the water. What if my disc landed dead center in a 2-3 foot wide creek but was sitting 2 feet above water on top of the watercress?
Or the whole right side of the front nine is a lake but you land with your disc half in the water but laying in grass; if you push your finger down next to the disc on the "land side" you get water with in a few inches (I took a P on that kind of lie tonight).
What is the deal?
B

Billym said:
rehder said:
Is the swamp/water ob or casual? If its normally ob, I would say its ob.
Very grey, some is marked as OB but most is very open to interpretation and depending on rain/no rain (we're in Cali) it is water or not.
Here is an example; an an year creek tha now has 2-3 feet of watercress growing in it too thick to see the water. What if my disc landed dead center in a 2-3 foot wide creek but was sitting 2 feet above water on top of the watercress?
Or the whole right side of the front nine is a lake but you land with your disc half in the water but laying in grass; if you push your finger down next to the disc on the "land side" you get water with in a few inches (I took a P on that kind of lie tonight).
What is the deal?
B

If it's in the water OB, line of verticality waters edge to the disc in the tree...if none of the disc would be in "safe" landing area then it's OB.

If you land in the little creeks at AP and are completely suronded by water, you are wet. Make the putt, take the circle 3 which is the Berkeley par. I hate those damm little creeks sometimes. Your other question about on the reeds....sounds wet and nasty.

cheers!

It sounds like an area that is sometimes dry and sometimes wet depending on how much rain has fallen recently.

If an area that is dry some of the time, any temporary standing water (ie. 1-6 inches deep) is typically deemed a casual hazard. This means there is no penalty but there is no relief either, play it where it lies.

I know if you land in the little creeks on #2, 3, 4, 16 and 17 these days they are either dry or the watercress is 2 feet tall and your disc will be laying on top or in it but not wet; we usually play it where it lies no penalty.

if it were just a big puddle or something i'd say play it, but if the creek is normally OB then where ever the creek extends to that day is the OB line. that disc is wet.

We have a course here in the valley that is like that there is a creek that runs along most of the holes. If there is water in there and you are fully surrounded it's OB no matter how deep. If it's dry, play it where it is and you are in-bounds. If you are touching the mud take your no penalty meter and play it from where that puts you.

Latest posts