• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Moving to MVP bag, matching current discs

Jouni

Birdie Member
After hearing so much good from MVP discs, especially their consistency and durability, I'm thinking about changing my bag to mostly MVP discs. Currently I have zero. :D Just wondering what would be good MVP alternatives for my current discs, Here's my bag:

Beat P-line P1, for few special cases, throwing flat turns to right.
D-line P2, for putting and short approaches and drives. Workhorse putter.
Jokeri, for hard fading short approaches.

FLX Buzzz, workhorse midrange for pretty much everything, except when no fade is wanted.
S-line MD2, for longer versions of the P1 shots, dont use much nowdays, P2 and Buzzz tends to feel more reliable.

S-line Jackal, workhorse driver, quite beat, slight hyzer is needed for reliable straight shot, otherwise makes quite big S-curve.
S-line TD2, for maximum distance, sometimes turns over, sometimes don't.
Star Eagle, pairs well with Jackal, straight with (usually) predictable fade. For rare forehand throws.
S-line PD, quite beat, hard hooking hyzers, but mostly for overhand throws

My drivers are around 70-80 meters usually, with occasional 90+ meters with TD2, Buzzz is quite close the distance of Jackal and Eagle, putters fly around 60 meters or so.

I'm happy with P2 for putting, but for short approaches and drives I would like another disc with more durable plastic. So Anode or Ion, can't figure out which one would be better.

For midrange, I would like to have only one disc, thinking about Axis or Tangent. I heard that Axis punishes from bad form quite heavily, so that could be nice learning tool, but otherwise heard more praise from Tangent. What about Vector?

For driver, one with predictable fade and one with straighter finish would be nice, Volt and Shock seems to be most discussed, but based on stats they seem quite similar?

About the plastics, Neutron or Proton? I play in all kind of conditions, wet and +20 Celcius, snow and -10 Celcius are both normal conditions for me. I like Star/S-line, but feel that C-line/Champion is bit too slippy for me, but it's probably more psychological effect.

You'll be back....
MVP is fun but few stick with their discs only.
I'm not sure whether its bc I'm a disc whore or bc their discs just didn't fully match my game,
But the roc and rival/teebird are discs that I cannot play without.

You'll be back....
MVP is fun but few stick with their discs only.

I agree, I bet you'll be back. Two days ago I added my first disc that wasn't Innova or Discmania disc to my bag. I just so happens to be a Eclipse Anode for driving. I'm not sure how long it's gonna be in my bag but it's doing it's job for now. I highly doubt I'll ever have an MVP bag but to each their own... Anyway, I'd say you could replace your P2 with an Anode & maybe a Vector to replace one of your Mids.

Last edited:
I rock an all MVP Stormtrooper bag on the side and love it. Keep in mind its a secondary bag, but It's always fun to get out and experiment with. Its fully possible to run an all MVP bag, except you won't have an MVP bag holding the discs in. If I weren't ay work I'd give you a better run down on the discs, but good luck :hfive:

so you have discs you like, but you want to replace them with completely different discs expecting them to fly the same?

First, I realized that this topic is in the wrong section, maybe somebody can move it to the "Bag suggestions & feedback" section?

So, I pretty much did what Johnny_Crunch suggested, I both all MVP's discs expect Vector. All are in Neutron plastic except Tangent which I got first, and realized that I don't like Proton plastic at all when it's wet. Feels like it won't dry at all...

So my current bag contains:

Anode, for putting and possibly some short approaches (haven't tested it much yet).

Soft Neutron Ion, for short approaches, overlaps a bit with Tangent.

Tangent, for straight or turnover approaches.

Axis, a workhorse midrange, I hope, feels like new Buzzz, but is not so forgiving for technique flaws.

Tensor, for windy days or approaches which need a strong fade at the end.

Amp, I was hoping this would be my workhorse driver for straight hyzerflips or turnovers, but it seems to be bit too stable for me. Still use it as for flat line drives and anhyzer shots.

Volt, this I bought as used, for hyzer drives.

Shock, for strong hyzers and overhand shots.

So far I have been pleased, made my new personal record on my home course when playing for the first time with this all MVP bag. :) Although I did carry my old P2 as a putter (and failed with few easy ones...).

Only disc I miss is my beat Jackal as Amp is bit too fast for me. But it's getting winter and I'm not going to play much on the snow, just practice driving, so hopefully I advance enough so Amp is good next spring. :) And I'm throwing less than 300' from standstill anyways so it's probably good to play more with the mids and putters.

Switching your whole bag sounds a little drastic. Personally, I love the MVP fairways. Maybe slide a disc or two in your bag and work them into your practice rounds.

Switching your whole bag sounds a little drastic. Personally, I love the MVP fairways. Maybe slide a disc or two in your bag and work them into your practice rounds.

Yes I agree it's drastic and maybe bit stupid, it was partially just a psychological thing, I wanted out of the comfort zone of my old discs and strategies, and "fresh start" for technique repair.

Other reasons were:

The supposed consistency of MVP discs. As I order discs usually from web, and hate when I get domey disc instead of the flat I had etc. it is possible that I will fall back on some old discs after a while, but so

The durability of the MVP discs. I don't like Champion type of plastic at all, although I would like my discs to last for a long time even though I play on a very wooded courses. I used Star/S-line mostly. Neutron plastic feels bit like Star but seems to be more durable, although I'm not sure is it as durable as Champion plastic.

And then I heard (and now have witnessed it myself) that MVP discs seem to need more snap and/or spin to really get going, and I can actually see when for example Tangent takes of properly. This has already helped me to slow down and concentrate on the proper form, as Tangent and Axis seem to punish quite nicely from bad form (of course my form is still bad but...).

I've actually done this once before also (switching to completely Discmania bag) with pretty good results.

I have all of MVPs discs and I tried this also. The only one that remains is the Proton Volt.

I go Pure, Challenger, Zone....Fuse, Buzzz, Verdict...S-FD, C-FD, Proton Volt, XXX....King, Trespass, Giant

Latest posts