• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MTA Discs/Frisbees

Dana

Double Eagle Member
What are the best MTA discs out there?

Just use a putter? My Ridge was working well in high winds, but I don't think it'd be a good MTA disc when there is not crazy winds..

Thanks

i know my buddy sadjo was big into MTA he might have some good info for ya.. i have never tried so cant really help ya there :(

I won many Maximun Time Aloft events with my whamo FB 3, and with stronger winds a FB 6. (Fastback)

#1..lynx
#2..condor
#3..roc

all in 140g or less weights....vegan ray enjoys the mta and he said those are the best in that order

^^ good info .. just got me a new condor at a tourny last week but its a lil off the weight .. just 195g :p

what is MTA?

2 Self Caught Flight events at all-around flying disc events like the World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) championships. MTA: Maximum Time Aloft is the longest time in the air from when you release a disc until you catch it with one hand. world record is like 16 seconds? The other half is TRC: Throw, Run, Catch. the longest distance you can cover catching your own thrown disc. World record is over 100 meters. Whammo Fastback molds and 150g-160g Innova Condors are the preferred discs.

here are some of mine....

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00918.jpg

DSC00145.jpg

and i found a old guy with a stash of them....

8db81275.jpg

cf1c6e39.jpg

A Whammo FB6 is the best disc for consistent throws. You can buy FB6's for about $5 or less at Discovering The World.

Someone told me that golf discs are no longer legal in Self Caught Flight events. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Some players use Ultimate Discs.

Fastbacks are the best way to go but stay away from the Fastback style Dog Discs...they're too dense to get good float.

sadjo....why a FB6.....i have FB20, FB22, FB3 and a FB6 and i dont notice much difference between them....

When throwing MTAs the goal is to throw up into a crosswind on a hyzer and get the disc to flip and then glide long and slow with the disc beginning to helix (S-curve) and get a flatter and flatter flight pattern.

Most non-overall players that ended up in an overall competition tend to throw the disc directly into the wind and hope to make a clean catch. When you're trying to maximize the amount of time the disc is in the air, you want it want it to have a gentle helix while coming down as flat as possible.

If the disc is coming down flat you can milk the flight all the way to just inches above the ground.

FB3s are great discs but very hard to find. FB 12s and higher numbers can get you numbers into the :10 and :12 second ranges of throws but to hit anything close to :14 to :16 seconds is most likely to be a FB3.

World record was, however, thrown with an FB3 and it was 16.72 seconds. I believe it was thrown in 1984. My personal best is over :14 seconds with a clean catch. I had a couple of throws over :15 seconds that I was able to hang on to the disc. In all those cases I was laying out to get to the disc.