• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Murray’s Bag

murray18

Hey folks,

The big bit me hard, and I'm to the point where I need to get serious about my setup. I'd love some criticism and feedback on my current bag, which I've somewhat thrown together.

Here's my info based on the stickied template:

Vitals:
Years playing: DG 3 months, Ultimate 13 years
Throwing Style: RHBH, some RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*): Judge: 200/230'; Emac Truth: 260/290'; Crank: 320/360

Optional:
Sex: M
Other sport proficiencies?: Ball golf, Ultimate
Additional Information: I feel like I have some overlap, and that I'm throwing too many molds.

Bag:

Distance drivers:
168 GStar Shryke — wide open drives
172 Z Crank— main distance driver, flex shots

Drivers:
170 champ firebird—super headwind, hard turning shots, forehands
175 lucid escape—s curve drives and hyper flip drives.
Champ teebird—my straightest disc that consistently fades
Champ leopard—hard turnover shots, hyper flips, woods shots

Mids:
180 champ roc3—flex mid shots, windy approaches, forehands
174 EMac truth—main mid
172 z comet—my favorite disc. Reminds me of an ultra star. Can throw almost anything with it, but I can't throw it hard.

Putters:
Jawbreaker zone—hard turning approach shots, forehand approaches, windy putts
Lucid judge—putter drives, glidy approach shots
Prime judge—putter

Dang autocorrect—obviously meant "hyzer" and that the "bug" bit me.

I should also say that I'm happy to buy more discs, and I have multiples of some discs. Mostly for backups.

Honestly the bag looks fine and covers everything. I'm sure you could use something more in the distance categories, but I don't throw that far to have to worry about it. From the firebird down through putters, I could take this bag and excel at every course I've ever played.

If I had to nitpick it would be somewhere with the Roc3/Truth overlap. I'd aim for something like a Verdict for that same slot, but you're already covered with your description. I'm not huge on carrying serious overstable for every category, so I'd probably skip it. I can get my Firebird to cover a super OS mid slot, albeit with more skip.

I took everyone's advise to heart and took the eMac truth out of the bag and started throwing my leopard forehand. The new use for my leopard has changed everything—I struggled with it a lot and considered taking it out. Now I can throw really low lines with it and keep it pretty straight. Also I replaced the truth with a kc pro roc and a lighter champ roc3.

Hoping for continued good results!

I also played a short course at the beach this morning, and found that I'm pretty effective at throwing accurate skip shots with my firebird. My home courses are pretty mountainous so I doubt I'll get much use out of that shot, but it was really fun.