• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music on the course

That's the issue though, most people have different musical tastes. However, I have a specific playlist for disc golf. It's alltechno/ambient music. I feel like tbat is considerate. I would never play my death metal on the course.

Exactly, while I do enjoy me some death metal from time to time, I only listen to Jazz on the course. And if I don't have headphones with me I keep it just loud enough for me to hear from my pocket. And that is only during casual play, if I want music in a competitive round I will make sure I have some earphones on me.

I prefer listening to the sounds of nature around me since most all the courses I play on are wooded courses. But at the same time I'm okay with a little tuneage from time to time.

Count me as one who'd prefer to hear no music at all. Yeah, it's better if it's soft than loud; better if it's music I like than music I don't. But I enjoy the sounds of nature or conversation. I choose not to bring my own music, so it's a letdown when someone else brings theirs.

In the interest of tolerance, I'm not saying other players shouldn't play music when they're with me---assuming it's at a respective volume. We bend to accommodate other people's pace of play, moods, etc. But I'm happier if they don't.

This is my feeling exactly. It's usually not a big enough deal for me to say something to someone, but just annoying. Now if someone were blaring any kind of music, regardless of style, I would ask them to turn it down.

Although, I think a disc golf/music festival does sound kinda cool. That would be a whole different setting tho.

I've found that people with earbuds need to be asked about twice per hole what their score was.

Seems like we have to bring this whole thread up every now and then,
but if it keeps one guy from playing his music on his phone (because he just can't believe that the whole world doesn't love his playlist through a really crappy phone speaker) then it's well worth it.

To address scarp's comment, he has a point. Personally, I think it's just rude to wear earbuds and not respond to people.
To all earbud wearers, take them out on the tee and interface with the world a little, then put them back in when it's time to throw.
Half the fun of a playing disc golf is the people. Don't tune them out....

Portable speakers are horrible.

There's just no way for me to get my old brain around portable speakers. I'm not much of a audiophile anyway, but the carry-around speakers make me long for the boom boxes of the 70's. But then it's just another "bubble-boy" creation of our culture as more and more young people don't leave their circle of friends ever -- text the same 2or3 people, keep your earbuds in, never make eye-contact since you're staring at your phone waiting for something to "happen", speak with no one . . . why leave the basement/attic?

Played yesterday morning on a small 9-holer, not far from where a half-marathon was finishing. Throughout the morning a brass ensemble played the Rocky theme, over and over and over and over so finishers were welcomed as champs. Entertaining for the first few dozen repetitions.

Played yesterday morning on a small 9-holer, not far from where a half-marathon was finishing. Throughout the morning a brass ensemble played the Rocky theme, over and over and over and over so finishers were welcomed as champs. Entertaining for the first few dozen repetitions.

LoL I'd totally run down the fairway, hands in the air, upon hearing that song. Epic.

Portable speakers are horrible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just no way for me to get my old brain around portable speakers. I'm not much of a audiophile anyway, but the carry-around speakers make me long for the boom boxes of the 70's. But then it's just another "bubble-boy" creation of our culture as more and more young people don't leave their circle of friends ever -- text the same 2or3 people, keep your earbuds in, never make eye-contact since you're staring at your phone waiting for something to "happen", speak with no one . . . why leave the basement/attic?

^^^^^^^obviously a generalization, paulw pretty much summed up the "millenial" generation^^^^

Count me as one who'd prefer to hear no music at all. Yeah, it's better if it's soft than loud; better if it's music I like than music I don't. But I enjoy the sounds of nature or conversation. I choose not to bring my own music, so it's a letdown when someone else brings theirs.

In the interest of tolerance, I'm not saying other players shouldn't play music when they're with me---assuming it's at a respective volume. We bend to accommodate other people's pace of play, moods, etc. But I'm happier if they don't.

So....a couple of hours after posting this, I was guiding a group of guests around Stoney Hill with their non-stop music. Being my guests, I deferred to their wishes. But on a glorious early-summer morning on one of the most peaceful courses imaginable, I couldn't help but think they were missing out on something. I know I was.

while i prefer no music at all, especially the more "remote" a course feels, it doesnt bother me as long as it fits the vibe of the woods so to say. but definitely would prefer listen to nature chirping away.

Dub-Step and Scream Metal (or scream anything) doesn't belong on the course. I like techno and metal, but those 2 "music" genres are just disruptive. and people need to stop taking offense when you politely ask them to turn it down.

As a former DJ, I love music. As a disc golfer, I hate music on the course. It's like oil and water not peanut butter and chocolate for me.

As a former DJ, I love music. As a disc golfer, I hate music on the course. It's like oil and water not peanut butter and chocolate for me.

:hfive::thmbup:

Yep...I'm a total Deadhead, but I don't even want to hear that when I'm throwing. Chains, tree hits, and the occasional "oh sh!t" are music enough for me on the course.

Excellent.

I have to admit, though, that there are some courses I've played---not among my regulars---where music to cover the constant roar of traffic would have been more than acceptable.

Seems like we have to bring this whole thread up every now and then,
but if it keeps one guy from playing his music on his phone (because he just can't believe that the whole world doesn't love his playlist through a really crappy phone speaker) then it's well worth it.

To address scarp's comment, he has a point. Personally, I think it's just rude to wear earbuds and not respond to people.
To all earbud wearers, take them out on the tee and interface with the world a little, then put them back in when it's time to throw.
Half the fun of a playing disc golf is the people. Don't tune them out....

That's why when I listen to music, it is just one earbud. Volume is turned down sufficiently far that it is background music and I can participate in conversations. A few times I've had to ask someone to repeat themselves, in which case I apologize and immediately turn down the volume another couple of notches.

As long as it's not blaring, or offensive, it doesn't bother me.

Nice avatar, btw. And welcome to the site!

Pretty much where I stand. Doesn't bother me as long as it's not embarrassing for the sport. I've been in a few awkward situations with really offensive music playing with bystanders and children in earshot. Just don't do that.

Don't mind...as most said. I play music a lot of the times, but dont mind if others are as long as its not Shatty music. But if playing in a competitive environment, would prefer it off....but very open about it. Just no shatty music please.

Excellent.

I have to admit, though, that there are some courses I've played---not among my regulars---where music to cover the constant roar of traffic would have been more than acceptable.

You said it. Traffic noise vs. music, I choose music. Nature sounds vs. music, I choose nature sounds.

As a musician and music afficianado/geek, music is the background to most of my life.

But as someone who has been competitive athletically for over 30 years now, I've never enjoyed music while playing a sport. Love it stretching, warming up, etc. but when it comes to the game, casual or competitive, I find it distracting. Even the best playlist won't always be playing something that vibrates appropriately for the moment. It is one more diversion from the task at hand, when I find the best results come when you can slow it all down and be completely in the moment. Which, interestingly enough, is the place I try to get to when playing live music as well.

All of which is to say, if it works for you, cool...please don't share it with me.