• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what I found... turns out Alpine Ski Center stocks MVP discs and they had a Labor Day Sale going on. I picked up a 166 M Ion and I'm about to go field test it. I would of grabbed two but they only had one more Medium and it was 165. I still want to grab another in the 172 range so I might order one offline.

Photo%252520on%2525202011-09-04%252520at%25252011.43.jpg

This has probably been brought up, but would it be possible to make discs with the inside being baseline type plastic and keeping the outside premium? This would be especially good for putters and mids by giving you grip + durabilty.

+1

That would be awesome!!!

This has probably been brought up, but would it be possible to make discs with the inside being baseline type plastic and keeping the outside premium? This would be especially good for putters and mids by giving you grip + durabilty.

+1

That would be awesome!!!

While that does sound good in theory, it would be impossible to get 2 totally different types of plastic to bond chemically the way MVP's 2 plastics bond. This is integral to the structural integrity of the disc and it's ability to hold together over time. As it stands, no one will ever see a MVP disc that has separated. It would be impossible without precision laser cutting tools or something crazy like that. The bond is actually stronger than the plastics, so under a huge amount of stress theoretically one of the plastics would tear apart before the bond did.

How about a full-on base plastic Ion? There are a few of us out there who greatly prefer base plastic for our putters.

While that does sound good in theory, it would be impossible to get 2 totally different types of plastic to bond chemically the way MVP's 2 plastics bond. This is integral to the structural integrity of the disc and it's ability to hold together over time. As it stands, no one will ever see a MVP disc that has separated. It would be impossible without precision laser cutting tools or something crazy like that. The bond is actually stronger than the plastics, so under a huge amount of stress theoretically one of the plastics would tear apart before the bond did.

Really? They are doing a pretty simple overmold. Plastic loves being round. Grades of materials would have to be matched up to get similar melt characteristics, but seems pretty easy to me.

Really? They are doing a pretty simple overmold. Plastic loves being round. Grades of materials would have to be matched up to get similar melt characteristics, but seems pretty easy to me.
Discspeed is correct. There are a vast amount of different polymers in the plastic industry. When it comes to overmolding you can have two types of bonding (or both) which are a mechanical bond or chemical bond. A mechanical bond is when there is an actual physical member that supports and 'locks' onto within the overmold. Even if the melt flow of the overmold material melts into the core material, they will not chemically bond to each other (Oil/water do not mix for a ballpark reference). Mechanical bonds do not offer the highest load bearing capabilities and are not most common in the practice. The other instance being a chemical bond, is when the two polymers bond to each other down to the molecular level. In some cases the chemical bond is actually stronger than either of the two materials being used. Mixing and matching different polymer families generally do not produce a chemical bond. We ensure the durability and long life of our products with a chemical bond as our discs are of the highest in durability.

Knowing quite a bit about the inside happenings at MVP and how much work has gone into perfecting their process and products, I'd hardly call it simple or easy. Baseline plastics are totally different from urethane, have different shrink rates, different bonding characteristics, etc. I'm pretty sure MVP has done some preliminary research/testing into this without positive results. They understand the technical issues with it much better than I, but I'm not sure they want to get into the specifics.

Edit...I guess Chad did want to explain.:thmbup:

Last edited:
I've decided to give the new ion another chance by playing an entire round with it without throwing anything else. Will report back soon.....Also, when will the axis be available for purchase?

I've decided to give the new ion another chance by playing an entire round with it without throwing anything else. Will report back soon.....Also, when will the axis be available for purchase?
We have begun preorders already and are expected to be in stores September 16th.

I know you're sending Powergrip some clear IONs and Axes, you better send them out soon...

Been working my Vector pretty hard, still a little overstable for me...but I'm not giving up on it. It won't take long to beat it in on the courses that I play w/ alot of trees...

Uhh, I switched to IONs and really love them. My putting improves and my favorite is a white light one, late model. I've used them for several months, like them, took my Aviar OUT of the bag...

On a whim, I gave my Aviar a bath, circled it in my hands and shoved it in there a couple of weeks ago. I'm choosing it more, and more on longer putts.

And digging it.

IONs are cool but they have not stood the test of time. I'm digging my Aviar again lots.

The rubber edge has no advantage far as I can tell, the GYRO tech chip may not be working, can't tell, it just has a flight characteristic as other discs do.

I carry one but am using it less and less and my putting percentage is staying the same.

I purchased all my MVP discs, the Vectors didn't make it, the ION may be lost due to lack of use.

I don't "bad mouth" discs, I like the ION but it is not what I thought it was, it is not a magic disc, it is a choice and not a bad choice.

I gave one each to my golf buddies, they don't do disc Internet or marketing from anywhere...

Their putting is not getting any better, skewed because I gifted the discs to them.

I wish MVP all the best but I am enjoying my Aviar again and my ION less and not missing it.

The Ion cannot improve anyone's putting...Things that improve putting include practice, confidence, comfortability, etc. Changing putters often gives a temporary improvement in confidence and focus that usually wears off in a couple weeks and you are back to baseline.

I could still take or leave the Ion for putting. My putting is no better or worse with the Ion than it was with several other discs. The Ion does make lighter putters better, and I may be seeing some improvement in longer putts from being able to use a lighter putter, but it would be stretch in any way to say the Ion has made me a better putter.

The Ion is irreplaceable for me as an approach disc and driver. No other disc can match it's performance in this capacity, and that is where I notice the Gyro advantages the most. It goes farther, lower, and easier than any other true putter mold (putters that are fairly high profile and glide rather than cut through the air). Old ones are perfectly neutral and the newer ones are stable enough for just about any wind. I can literally play a whole course with Ions, and they would be my one disc choice for just about any course. Since I love the Ion so much for everything else, I putt with it because I believe I can putt just about the same with any disc I feel comfortable with. It does have strengths and weaknesses as a putting mold, as does every other disc.

Even if the ION didn't fly any better than a Wizard on drives (which it does in my opinion mind you, it suits my style better) and the overmold didn't bring better gyroscopic properties to the table, I'd still use the ION. Two reasons: The IONs take forever to beat up (especially the rim, it doesn't get ragged due to the overmold) and MVP is easily the most consistent disc maker out there. These two things would still put it in front of the competition for me, the fact that it flies as good as it does is just an added bonus.

Marshall Street flight guide puts the vector with the Cro. The Cro is one of the most unpredictable discs I've ever seen anybody throw, do you guys agree that it's Cro - like?

I have no idea about the stability of the Cro, but the Vector is wider diameter and definitely more gradual (turns and fades slower) than the Cro.

Marshall Street flight guide puts the vector with the Cro. The Cro is one of the most unpredictable discs I've ever seen anybody throw, do you guys agree that it's Cro - like?

The Vector flies nothing like the Crow. I've thrown both and I'd say that the Vector is more overstable and glides more than the Crow. Even when beat the Vector does not become flippy, it just fades less. The Crow starts losing HSS really quickly with wear. The Vector is also large diameter and the Crow is small diameter.

The Vector flies nothing like the Crow. I've thrown both and I'd say that the Vector is more overstable and glides more than the Crow. Even when beat the Vector does not become flippy, it just fades less. The Crow starts losing HSS really quickly with wear. The Vector is also large diameter and the Crow is small diameter.

Yea, when I saw MS put both of them at the same stability and speed, I figured something was up. There's no way there would be that much hype over a cro-like disc.

So....I'm really excited for the Axis. As soon as I have one I'll be taking it and my camera to Oak Ledges to test it out at a nice wooded course.

Status
Not open for further replies.