• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Part VI)

I think I've mentioned in this thread that I'm spending this year throwing 5 speed and less (only exception was when I went to a higher altitude and found I lost distance....for that I went to faster discs, mainly a Sidewinder (which I lost) and my Amp (which I'm loving).

I now have all of my 5 speed spots filled:
Understable: Uplink
Stable: Hex and Reactor
Overstable: Deflector (not sure about this one as I just added it to my bag and haven't thrown it yet).

For my putter: I'm using the Ohm.

What I need to find is an upshot disc. I started with the DGA Breaker (3/3/0/3) a while back and switched to the Innova Rat (4/2/0/3). Now I'm back to the Breaker. I thought the Proxy (3/3.5/-1/0.5) would fill this spot, but it's a bit deeper than I like. I've tried the Atom as both a putter and upshot disc, but it's rim is also too deep for a comfortable forehand upshot.

I'm mainly a forehand thrower, especially for upshots. The Proxy just does not feel comfortable with my forehand throws. I really like MVP/Axiom because the majority of their discs are flat top, which is perfect for my forehand; add a shallow rim and the disc is pretty much perfect.

So, I'm looking for an upshot disc (3 or 4 speed) with a shallow rim. Any suggestions? Maybe MVP/Axiom doesn't have what I'm looking for (yet) and I have to stick with the Breaker...but I'm hoping. Maybe the new Axiom Tempo (4/4/0/2.5) will be what I'm looking for.
I was gonna suggest the proxy or envy, but if they're too deep I'm not sure what MVP has that's shallower. Shallow and flat top approach disc usually says Zone, to me...

I was gonna suggest the proxy or envy, but if they're too deep I'm not sure what MVP has that's shallower. Shallow and flat top approach disc usually says Zone, to me...
Yeah, I've tried the Proxy and Envy....neither one 'fits the bill'. I checked on TryDiscs.com and the Breaker rim depth is 1.2 cm. MVP/Axiom doesn't have anything that shallow...closest is 1.4. It may just end up being one of those spots in my bag that stays non-MVP/Axiom. I think I'm just going to have to go to my local disc shop and feel, each MVP/Axiom 3 and 4 speed to see if there is one that feels good with my forehand grip. Maybe I'll find one, maybe I won't.

I've even tried a Zone (I have two) and they don't do it for me. It's a real touchy spot in my bag since an upshot has to be close to pin-point accurate and I have to feel confident with it when I take my grip.

The best discs I've found so far for upshots (and this was before I found MVP/Axiom), were the Innova Wysocki Tour Pig, DGA Breaker, and the Innova Rat. Innova quit making the Wysocki Tour Pig (the regular Pig just isn't the same). So, it's been the Breaker and Rat for my upshots....I've been going back and forth with those two.

Yeah, the zone in plastics that help it have more pinpoint accuracy doesn't tend to live very long. I've got a jawbreaker one, and less than a month in it's already getting a bit more beat than you'd want out of a zone

And now I find out the Amp is no longer in production. Well, I hope I don't lose it. I did think I had found a possible replacement via TryDiscs...the Axiom Trance. But I couldn't find that disc on Axiom's website....after some checking, I found it was created only for the OTB Open. Maybe MVP/Axiom will bring that disc to the public (or bring the Amp back - please).

Damn man I thought you knew... that's why it was a good score :D. They aren't bringing those back..

I think the trance will be in full production soon, I'm thinking next year. Otb definitely got some sweet one offs though. Soft proton was exciting. I always figure they will do a full production run....

I know I'm rhythm crazy but a flat 174g neutron rhythm could double as a broken in amp.

If you have the patience for it, lightweight (around 160) Fission Volts can be broken in to fly and feel very similar to an Amp. They'll have a bit more dome though. It doesn't quite feel like the Amp, but I have a Neutron Servo that flies quite a bit like my Amp when thrown forehand at around 275 - 325 power. Relay, Crave, Servo, Rhythm, Trance, and Drift can all have similar flight characteristics depending on plastic and weight.

What I need to find is an upshot disc. I started with the DGA Breaker (3/3/0/3) a while back and switched to the Innova Rat (4/2/0/3). Now I'm back to the Breaker. I thought the Proxy (3/3.5/-1/0.5) would fill this spot, but it's a bit deeper than I like. I've tried the Atom as both a putter and upshot disc, but it's rim is also too deep for a comfortable forehand upshot.

I'm mainly a forehand thrower, especially for upshots. The Proxy just does not feel comfortable with my forehand throws. I really like MVP/Axiom because the majority of their discs are flat top, which is perfect for my forehand; add a shallow rim and the disc is pretty much perfect.

So, I'm looking for an upshot disc (3 or 4 speed) with a shallow rim. Any suggestions? Maybe MVP/Axiom doesn't have what I'm looking for (yet) and I have to stick with the Breaker...but I'm hoping. Maybe the new Axiom Tempo (4/4/0/2.5) will be what I'm looking for.

When the Tempo arrives, I suspect it will be exactly what you're looking for. The problem is we probably won't see stock runs until the OTB open drops next year. That seems to be what happened with last year's circuit challenge discs. I would try an Electron Envy short term. I think the rims on Electron are a bit more shallow than the other plastics.

If you have the patience for it, lightweight (around 160) Fission Volts can be broken in to fly and feel very similar to an Amp. They'll have a bit more dome though. It doesn't quite feel like the Amp, but I have a Neutron Servo that flies quite a bit like my Amp when thrown forehand at around 275 - 325 power. Relay, Crave, Servo, Rhythm, Trance, and Drift can all have similar flight characteristics depending on plastic and weight.
I have two Volts, one Plasma and one Fission. I'll field test them with the Amp later this year. I have a couple Circuit Challenge Rhythms, and several Servos (the Servo is what got me hooked on MVP).

When the Tempo arrives, I suspect it will be exactly what you're looking for. The problem is we probably won't see stock runs until the OTB open drops next year. That seems to be what happened with last year's circuit challenge discs. I would try an Electron Envy short term. I think the rims on Electron are a bit more shallow than the other plastics.
I am looking forward to the Tempo and seeing what it is like. But might be a while before I see one. I have two Electron Firm Envy's and don't care for either one as an upshot disc. I sometimes pull them out when I'm doing a putter only challenge as I can throw it off the tee pad or putt with it.

Envy maybe.. 3 3 0 2, i feel like electron seems shallower. I didn't like the feel of the proxy, felt wide or something. Atom and envy share the same core so you're probably not going to like it. I'd hold out for a tempo.

That rhythm se I like is neutron, I only have stock Fission, I wasn't into the stamp on the se. I do like the fissions though for some turn and a less stable version, big Glide.

NM.. it wasn't displaying the new posts haha.

I have two Volts, one Plasma and one Fission. I'll field test them with the Amp later this year. I have a couple Circuit Challenge Rhythms, and several Servos (the Servo is what got me hooked on MVP).

I have a bunch of Volts. The Neutron, Proton, and Plasma take a LOOOONG time to beat in. I've been working on one for over a year, couple rounds per week and it still flies pretty close to where it started. The heavy Fission Volts are usually BEEFY. The lighter ones start like normal Volts, but after a couple of months, they'll actually start to beat in.

How are base plastic pilots vs Ohms? I hear these are the ?same disc?, but the couple premium pilots I've felt up had curvy shoulders, vs the dead flat ohm. The felt deeper. Ohms only come in one plastic rn, and I don't want to try putting with premium plastic.

I think I've mentioned in this thread that I'm spending this year throwing 5 speed and less (only exception was when I went to a higher altitude and found I lost distance....for that I went to faster discs, mainly a Sidewinder (which I lost) and my Amp (which I'm loving).

I now have all of my 5 speed spots filled:
Understable: Uplink
Stable: Hex and Reactor
Overstable: Deflector (not sure about this one as I just added it to my bag and haven't thrown it yet).

For my putter: I'm using the Ohm.

Awhile back I asked on the thread what putter approach was the closes to the Pig, ThrowaEnvy replied back an Entropy 4/3/0/3, so I ordered a Plasma, and he was right. Actually, for approaches, far more reliable than the Pig, and my other four putters Plasma Envy, Eclipse Envy, Watt, and Plasma Nomad. A much better grip, compared to the other four MVP/Axiom putters.

Has a fade on flight, and pretty much on target, always looking to use it if the line is there, most courses I play are wooded. Open courses, reliable in heavy wind and have used it to putt in wind 20-25 mph but hit the pole it will likely bounce out. I've had it almost 4 months and have spent very little time practice approaches compared to the two Envy's which tend to turn on me and spend time with them straightening it out in a park. I like to keep track of longest distance with my putters to hit chains, and the Entropy currently holds the lead at 119 feet (laser) standstill over a canal, brushing reeds into the basket for birdie. What's funny, is I ordered the Entropy wanting to compare it to the Pig but lost the Pig on a high wind day when it flipped into a river. It all worked out for the better.

How are base plastic pilots vs Ohms? I hear these are the ?same disc?, but the couple premium pilots I've felt up had curvy shoulders, vs the dead flat ohm. The felt deeper. Ohms only come in one plastic rn, and I don't want to try putting with premium plastic.
They fly very similar. My soft electron Pilots have gone slightly puddle-topped, while the cosmic electron ones have stayed pretty flat. Both feel deeper than Ohms. This year, I've switched from putting with Pilots to putting with Ohms, because the latter feel better in the hand, and it feels like it's easier to put spin on them while putting (might be the gyro, might just be an illusion).

Driving home after a course bag, stop at the Chesapeake PIAS hadn't been there in a while. Picked up an Eclipse Proxy feels good in the hand, hope it will split the goal post on approaches between my Plasma and Eclipse Envy's, and Plasma Entropy. Saw several Eclipse Glitch's black with red stenciling, they looked good. Felt much better in the hand compared to the neutron. Just too light for myself.

Played two rounds at a course 2/3rds heavily wooded and wore out a Plasma Volt, and Fission Rhythm stock on doglegs. Used a lot of lower speeds, I like those type of courses. 21 of the 27 discs bagged were putter to 9-speed, the only odd ball a Star Mamba. Only used the Fission Rhythm SE once on a tree hit. Only had one clean stock, but everything was solid, I was good with the tree hits considering I had never seen the course before. The past few weeks playing other wooded courses, and field work. The SE will turn on an x-step, 3-step a shallow S turn compared to the Neutron SE a wider S turn best to use in the open or lightly wooded. No lateral room on today's course for the Neutron. The stock not a good idea to x-step all turn into the ground, 3-step a beautiful turn with distance. Didn't think I would keep all three, but they each have their own specific purpose, so they stay.

Just watched Simon 1st round Ledgestone on 16 roller his Neutron Wave OB, and on 18 roll it perfectly. I had wondered why it was in his bag. I'll have to try mine.

A pair of Plasma Zeniths came today. Positive first field session. It's like a high speed stable Wave which checks out with the flight numbers. I think it'll slide in where I'm trying to throw a Plasma Vanish which cotrary to the numbers is maybe even more stiff at spee and dumpy after. Neutron Vanish is still the big glidey guy at 11.

Just dropped in to toss some love for the Watt, I got a 167g se and been working it on the nightly. The response to anhyzers is impressive especially given its straight laser abilities. Kinda throwing like a slightly stable uplink at putter speed.

Could be a fantastic 150' -200' ace runner

Just dropped in to toss some love for the Watt, I got a 167g se and been working it on the nightly. The response to anhyzers is impressive especially given its straight laser abilities. Kinda throwing like a slightly stable uplink at putter speed.

Could be a fantastic 150' -200' ace runner
Is it tall like the glitch?

If it is that tall it's wider wing doesn't make it feel that way. It was pretty comfortable for me and I'm picky as hell,
Interesting I didn't find the glitch uncomfortable to throw I just don't like high glide low weight discs so this coming in heavier weights seems more useful to me.

Interesting I didn't find the glitch uncomfortable to throw I just don't like high glide low weight discs so this coming in heavier weights seems more useful to me.
Like I said I'm picky when it comes to disc feel, and it just sits a little funny in my square fingered hands. Throws pretty good, just wish it was heavy.

Is it tall like the glitch?
Yes. But not as tall as an envy. Feels a lot like a shorter/slightly smaller diameter ohm in hand. The lower rim is rounded (not a concave cut) with a lower plh and it gives the illusion of being shallow with the flat top. The Ohm felt wide to me but tangentesque, the Watt feels even more tangent like.

Honestly I thought it was shallow until I did some side by side comparisons, just now.

Latest posts