• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

The internet makes me feel like the only one happy with Electrons durability. Back when I was playing more frequently I had a pink regular Atom bagged that I was intentionally beating up. Took longer than I expected to get it understable, and the plastic held up well.

One interesting thing I noticed is the regular Atom got softer after seasoning. Now it feels in between a fresh regular Atom and a fresh soft.

Do all Protons have a higher shoulder than the Neutron, Plasma and Electron? If so, I'd really like to see a Proton more similar to the other plastics. And how do the Nuetron and Plasma compare with one another for driving purposes?

The internet makes me feel like the only one happy with Electrons durability.

Can't win for losing. Forever the beef was MVP needed a polymer capable of seasoning...but not TOO fast, apparently.

I'm really only interested in Electron for putting. For me, the way it gets "used" kind of fast is a plus, not a minus.

Do all Protons have a higher shoulder than the Neutron, Plasma and Electron? If so, I'd really like to see a Proton more similar to the other plastics. And how do the Nuetron and Plasma compare with one another for driving purposes?

The old ones do.
The new "mold" Ions all are lower profile. You just have to look for the tooling around the injection point. The font lets you know which version of the Ion you are getting.

I've seen Eclipse with the new tooling and they're fantastic, low profile money makers.

I just don't love the durability at that price. The perk of baseline plastic is you can buy a small stack and rotate them, putting practice etc but @ $12 a pop it's a bit much.

I just don't love the durability at that price. The perk of baseline plastic is you can buy a small stack and rotate them, putting practice etc but @ $12 a pop it's a bit much.

I just bought some more judges in prime plastic, grippy and board stiff, for 7.99. And they won't clover.

I understand.

I agree. I swear the Atom was a $1 cheaper when it first released. But I will still buy 2 Anodes immediately... Maybe 3. But I kinda wanna try the Ion again in Electron and I have heard good things about the Relay.

I just bought some more judges in prime plastic, grippy and board stiff, for 7.99. And they won't clover.

I understand.

My Soft Judge clovered after one bad tree hit. Haven't ever seen a baseline/pro style plastic that doesn't deform when being driven into a tree with 300-400' of power.

Yep. I mean premium ions go on sale for $13-15 all the time.

Like ive said b4 im a fan of the electron plastic just not of the price. Not sure what other baseline discs wholesale for but makes me wonder if not much margin on a $7 disc from retail side. I do like selling these ions though :)

I just got a couple Electron Ions in and I really love how these discs feel. I will just be using them for putting duties so I should not beat them up too fast anyway. I can't wait to try these out.

So has anyone beat their Electron Ion to flippy yet?

I took the 150 class pair out a few rounds this week and today for 36 holes of driving and putting etc. I threw one full power into a teepad many times and its not even close to flippy yet. Doesnt look great but really surpised how even these light weights being used still hold up to power drives.

Ive put another handful of rounds on the 150 class electron ions and tried to beat them in even throwing into teepads/ ground. Lots of driving and putting ... Im shocked how well they are retaining the original flight. One is pretty jacked up but still HSS with a touch of LSS. Flippy ion is turning out to take some work lol.

The ion i cut the bead off of is weird. It lost the HSS but the LSS is there to bring it back flat/straight vs holding the turn to the ground. Doesnt glide like a real ion being shallower (feel is big difference too) but if the electrons season up to this kind of flight they will pair up great with fresh/premium ions.

Man I want an Electron Ion but I already had gotten a Plasma for putting in the meantime. I can't bail on my putter! Why must there be so much great plastic out there??

Ok, so I just got my first soft eclipse Ion. Holy hell. It is dreamy. Nice and gummy, a little concave, and fits great in the hands. Shoulder is the same height as a plasma and electron (Nice and low). Knowing the eclipse soft feel like this, not sure I have much of a need for my electron anymore (minus putting practice). However, if you like that chalky feel, the electron is for you.

The proton medium Ions have that annoyingly high shoulder that make that version uncomfortable to me (which sucks because I'd like to have a medium to drive with). Is this just a medium Proton thing or are the soft protons like that as well? Or are they identical to eclipse soft (low shoulder) minus the glow rim?

Last edited:
I've always found softs easier to grip for ions and anodes both. Combination of lower shoulder where the plastic meets the om and easier to dig your thumb in close to the om for a better grip.

Soft eclipse IS soft proton cores. Glow rim is only difference.

Last edited:
Excellent. Thanks for the info. Wish I had given a soft a try earlier! Wonder how this will play out (will I continue putting with plasmas or switch to soft proton). Now I need to get my hands on a medium Neutron to see if it can handle driving duties. High or low shoulder on those?

Latest posts