• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My backhand form, critique appreciated

mambo

Bogey Member

Both throws are with a 4-finger powergrip. Been working on adding thumb pressure to get more of a ripping feeling from the disc. Few things I already noted: my pull line still isn't straight and I'm bending my knees too much which causes some balance issues. I guess rotating on my heel would be easier too with better balance.

Any feedback/critique is welcome.

Yes, your pull is around the body, rather than pulling through the body. Part the issue of the positioning of your stance from the reachback with the hips/shoulders not turned back enough. Look at the angle of your front foot:

Another small thing that I noticed was there wasn't much at all heel pivot. It was a little more noticeable on your second throw. If you watch the above video of Ricky, you well see he demonstrates great heel pivot. Another good person to watch is Will Schusterick.

Another small thing that I noticed was there wasn't much at all heel pivot. It was a little more noticeable on your second throw.

I agree. I need to get my stance more closed, starting already before the x-step. I twisted my right ankle a few months ago pretty badly so I'm probably still protecting it unconsciously.

Like was mentioned earlier, your lead foot angle is nearly perpendicular to the line you're trying to put the disc on at the peak of your reach back. If you can get your lead foot angled backwards, your plant should be on your TOES, not the heel. As you transfer your weight to your lead foot on your pull through, your heel will naturally become the pivot. Additionally, changing the orientation of your lead foot will allow your body the ability for a further reach back.

I've broken the 400' mark a few times in the field. I always try to be smooth and I feel that I've gained consistency on my drives. On the other hand, it seems that my plant foot still isn't closed enough as it should be. I also noticed that I rush my weight forwards quite early. Perhaps keeping my weight centered a bit longer could add in distance.

Yep, you aren't turning/pivoting your hips and shoulders back hardly at all and letting your weight fall backward onto the plant through a braced foot/leg/hip and then swinging after you have more weight on the front side/weight transferred.

Latest posts