• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My backhand form - what to improve and how?

Cryshot

I can throw my boss 400ft (roc 330ft and aviar 270ft), sometimes even a bit more, but I feel like there is something I am not doing right and I was kinda hoping that explanation of those techniques (wide rail, hammer pound, etc.) could help me (it didn`t so far). Here is a normal speed video of my drive with teebird3 and here is the same video in slowmo.

I know that my balance is wrong (as SW pointed out 2 months ago) with too much weight on the back foot (and I am working on these days) but what else is there? What drill do you think is the right for me now and what will be the next one? Should I start with the Beato or is it the time to try wide rail or hammer pound?

If I compare my throw to a throw of almost ANY (not the best) finnish player I feel like my speed and spin at release is half of their.

Thank you for all advices!

I think it will be easier to see some of your issues from a rear view video. It looks like your whole front side is tilted back/away from target too far coming down to land, so your front hip is higher than the rear hip. Not sure if your tee is downhill which wouldn't help, but you want to keep your hips more level so the front foot just glides above the grass. I'd also suggest lowering your shoulder/arm/disc in the reachback to turn more into your core.

http://youtu.be/VKxNPizQ8sg

Thanks for your responses! HUB: actually my physiotherapist told me I should do that (My right foot toe was going up a little later before, probably with the release).

SW22: thanks the rear view video is above. The thing you described with my hips must be so true I am gonna work on it this month. Yet the thing i dont like at all about my form is that i cant pull te disc on s straight line (perpendicular with the ground) as you can see in the first video. I suppose lowering my reachback could help it?

Let me know if you have any new suggestions from the rear view video.

Thanks!

It's hard to swing on a level plane when the disc isn't on plane in your grip. The disc should be level or slightly down from the top of the forearm, you can tilt your wrist more down and/or change the disc angle in your grip.

You are extending your front leg too far from your hip as you plant and end up with your balance slightly behind your heel. You want to plant a little more backward from behind you and plant with more pressure on the toes then drop your weight to the heel like below.

There's too much looseness and lag in your arm to keep the disc heavy and feel it's weight. Part of this issue is the timing of your weight shift and front leg being extended so far. You want to keep the arm/disc taut to the shoulder like swinging a ball on a rope around a circle, too much lag makes it herky jerky and hard to release consistently.

Hi,
I finally found time to record another video and put it here.

I think you hit the nail on its head with feeling the disc`s weight. I tried to work on it on the video. When I compare it to my regular throw, I feel like the reachback is smaller and I am not using my hips enough. Also my elbow doesn`t seem to be as far forward as before.

The weird (not really, it makes sense) thing is that I threw two same discs with same weight from the same place with this `feeling the weight` form and with `my regular form` and the first one was 30 feet longer - even without hips, smaller reachback etc.

Is this a step in the right direction?

See Best Downswing Weightshift vid above^. You are turning/leaning targetward before your weight shifts From Behind You.

Looking very good! I think you can start to work a bit on your follow through. It appears, you're stopping your momentum early - which would lead me to believe that you're sorta backing off at the very last second of the hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJXXiQM_3pQ&t=62

It's sorta something I've noticed about getting the timing just right: your arm is going to want to come around your back.

Looks a little better. You are still spinning out and not getting your weight forward. Notice your front foot has opened/spun already so the rest has also opened up. Your rear knee is way behind your hip almost doing the splits where Will is squeezing between the knees and his rear knee is hanging under his hip.