• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag -- Critique Please

JRufer13

Bogey Member
In the short time that I've been on this site, I've tried to read as much information about "disc selection" and the tips people have given out about using limited molds in your bag -- and I think that I finally have my setup!

These are my main discs that make up my bag. My casual round bag has these 10 discs, my tourney bag has these plus 2-3 reserves in case I lose something during a round.

Please let me know what you think -- for reference I throw a Teebird about 300 - 325. Thanks everyone!

Drivers
Star Valkyrie (167g) - "build up to" distance driver
Star Teebird (167g) beat in - Distance w/ slight fade
Star Teebird (175g) - Distance w/ stable finish
Star TL (171g) - Straight distance
Opto Vision (170g) - Turnover shots
Z Pred (175g) - Headwind / Hard hyzer

Midrange
FLX Buzzz beat in - Hyzer / straight / Anny upshots
ESP Buzzz - drives with slight hyzer finish < 250ft
cryZtal Buzzz - straight drives < 250ft
FLX Drone - sharp corner shots

Putters
Ion 174g - upshots and putts
Ion 173g - upshots and putts

---
Also, as far as "long distance" drivers go - I'm thinking about working up to the Valkyrie because I heard they are a good drivers for people with less arm strength. I was also considering the Wraith or PD. Also was thinking about a Sidewinder or a Roadrunner for long turnovers instead of the Vision -- my Vision seems to stall out lately instead of gliding where I want it go.

Everything looks pretty solid. Everything seems to be around a good weight also. The Valkyrie is a good disc for you right now distance wise, I think you'll be able to handle it for a while. It should be a bit longer than your Teebird for a good while, once you really learn how to throw it. Keep working on your form and you'll work up to a Wraith as I think they need closer to 375' of power to really perform well.

Only thing I suggest is work a little bit in the field and work on shaping lines with the TL and you might not need the Vision, Sidewinder, or Roadrunner. But, that's just my opinion. Here is a link to the training assignments just in case you haven't seen them. They're very useful.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

I went out with another player the other day to get some help with my drive, and the release of my driver was a split second too early.. I worked on hanging on for a tad longer and letting the disc rip out of my hand instead of strong arming it -- I was throwing my teebird 350-380. It felt GREAT!

He handed me a pretty beat up Destroyer and I was launching that 380 consistantly.. I'm not ready to put one in my bag, but I think it may be another disc for me to look in to.

Good, that's not so bad. You could look into the Wraith, it might be a little better for right now since it has just a little bit of High speed turn and could possibly get it to 400' But, I'd work on throwing the Teebird more, and once you can get the Teebird 400, you're well on your way. Just don't forget about shaping lines. Distance is needed, when you can control the Teebird up to 400', you'll feel WAY more comfortable and much more accurate throwing it on shorter distances. Also, you midrange game should improve as well.

JRufer13 said:
Drivers
Star Valkyrie (167g) - "build up to" distance driver
Star Teebird (167g) beat in - Distance w/ slight fade
Star Teebird (175g) - Distance w/ stable finish
Star TL (171g) - Straight distance
Opto Vision (170g) - Turnover shots
Z Pred (175g) - Headwind / Hard hyzer

Midrange
FLX Buzzz beat in - Hyzer / straight / Anny upshots
ESP Buzzz - drives with slight hyzer finish < 250ft
cryZtal Buzzz - straight drives < 250ft
FLX Drone - sharp corner shots

Putters
Ion 174g - upshots and putts
Ion 173g - upshots and putts

CHANGES MADE!

Drivers
P PD / S PD - Long STABLE distance
Star Destroyer - Long control distance
Star Valkyrie - Straight with anny finish
Star Roadrunner - Hard Turnover / Roller shots
Star Teebird - Distance w/ slight stable finish (Maxing out around 350ft/370ft)
Champ Teebird - Same as Star TB but slightly more stable
Star TL - Straight distance
Z Pred - Headwind

Midrange
FLX Buzzz - Shots where I need the disc to absorb a hit or too
ESP Buzzz - drives with slight hyzer finish < 275ft
cryZtal Buzzz - straight drives < 275ft
FLX Drone - stable upshots
Z Drone - Short stable drives

Putters
Soft Wizard 167g - Upshots / long putts
Soft Wizard 175g - General Putter

I've made a few changes to my bag since my arm strength and distance are increasing. I am now throwing my Teebirds 350ft - 370ft consistantly (flat land, little to no wind). I picked up a Star Roadrunner from someone on here for short / sharp turnover shots. Also, I just received my P PD and S PD drivers from Timko today! From everything I read in the "Gospel of PD" thread, the PD (once seasoned) is like a LONG Teebird. I have throw Firebirds before, but they are way too stable for my liking.

The italicized discs haven't made it into my bag just yet, but they are on thier way to being field tested. What do you guys think? Too much overlapping? and if so, what do I need to choose between? Are there discs in there that you think are a waste of a slot?

I can't honestly contribute much other than I think the PD's and Teebirds will eventually be overlap.

But, I found this funny.
ESP Buzzz - drives with slight hyzer finish < 2750 :!: ft
cryZtal Buzzz - straight drives < 275ft
Anything less than 2750' GOT IT COVERED!!!!
I know Buzz's are amazing at low line drives, but SERIOUSLY! :lol: Just kidding, found it amusing this morning for some reason.

Latest posts