• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag for SoCal trip - any holes?

TorreyLaffoon

Birdie Member
LONG POST WARNING.

I posted on this forum a while back about the best way to travel with discs, as i am making a journey to the LA area to play some courses there -- ie Morely Field, Kit Carson, Goat Hill in oceanside and a few more -- I am bored right now and excited about my trip so... i would like some feedback on the configuration i have set in my mind for the trip. Anything i am missing? should i look into a few plastic purchases?

Drivers:
X NUKE - 168g 8/10 :: reliable flex shots, hyzer flips and downwind drives. I would label this my go-to driver. ~ 360' consistent/380' max

Star Destroyer - 171g 10/10, bottom stamped :: love this disc already, but still somewhat inexperienced with it. love how it flies though. ~ 340'

Star Katana - 175g 9/10, super flat :: always been my FH choice and not much else.

FLX Surge - 174g 10/10 :: A little slower and less HSS than my destroyer, but i like the feel of the rim and can rip it pretty good.

Champ Wraith - 175g 8/10 :: still mostly my headwind disc, but had been getting more use if i didnt want the HSS of my nuke. destroyer probably takes that role more now.

Champ Valk - 170g 9/10 :: go to driver for tight holes.

Star Teebird - 175g 10/10 :: literally thrown this disc once. exited to take it to cali.

Echo Star Leopard - 175g 10/10 :: brand new. replaced an old Pro i picked up early this past season that got too flippy. still a touch more overstable than id like.

MIDRANGES:

3 Buzzz's

2 Z's, one thats 170g and 8/10, lots of the fade has beaten out of it. awesome straight line disc, but flips a touch into a headwind.
Second Z is brand new, max weight, to take care of wind conditions where my old one would flip.

one FLX to have for cold winter rounds as well as to have a buzz that likes to go right a tad more. 175g.

2 Rocs -- both 180g. use them mostly for turnovers and anhyzers. The DX one is 6-7/10 and can hold a high turnover forever. i love it. Then i have a 8/10 star that I sometimes use if its too windy even for my newest Buzzz. but i mostly a buzzz guy.

Star Mako - 175g. i use this as a roller sometimes to get out of trouble, but mostly i use it as a short approach disc that i dont think i can reach with a putter.

ESP Impact -- 7/10 :: i got this used for $5 and i love it. best investment ever. i use it mostly from a standstill when space is limited and i need a low shot to glide for a long time. very useful.

PUTTERS:

i carry 4.

MVP iON gets the inside the circle duties
Organic Wizard backs it up and gets some use off the tee
ESP Banger GT is my approach putter
Star Aviar with a concave top, 6/10, turnover putter

So thats that. Comment away!

I don't know much about SoCal courses but I'm assuming it's less wooded than my NC ones.

The Wraith and the Surge seem like they'll get overshadowed by the Destroyer and Nuke, plus Wraith and Surge are very overlapping to begin with. I'd probably drop the Wraith for a better headwind fighting disc like a Pred, Firebird, etc. Your Star Teebird and echo* Leo might overlap a lot actually until the Leo beats in. You might want a decidedly more understable one like a new Pro or DX until the echo* wears in. Although the Impact might cover it.

That is definitely too many putter molds for my liking though. I'd keep the Ion and Aviar and that's it.

I'm actually in the market for all of those discs, save the flick. I don't throw many forehands. As far as the surge vs wraith and Leo vs tbird, you are probably right. But since I live in Michigan and won't get a ton of chances to throw them (they're my newest discs) I want to take them to try them out more than anything else.

It seems like you are trying out most everything. You are missing an overstable driver - this would probably be useful in wind and for hard fading forehands. I personally like a champ Firebird.

You could easily take out half of what you carrying now and have a complete bag (assuming you add an OS disc)

My Suggestion:
Drivers:
X NUKE - 168g 8/10

Star Destroyer - 171g 10/10, bottom stamped

Star Katana - 175g 9/10, super flat

FLX Surge - 174g 10/10

Champ Wraith - 175g 8/10 :: still mostly my headwind disc, but had been getting more use if i didnt want the HSS of my nuke. destroyer probably takes that role more now.

Champ Valk - 170g 9/10 :: go to driver for tight holes.

Star Teebird - 175g 10/10 :: literally thrown this disc once. exited to take it to cali.

Echo Star Leopard - 175g 10/10 :: brand new. replaced an old Pro i picked up early this past season that got too flippy. still a touch more overstable than id like.

Put back in the Pro Leopard

MIDRANGES:

3 Buzzz's

2 Z's, one thats 170g and 8/10, lots of the fade has beaten out of it. awesome straight line disc, but flips a touch into a headwind.
Second Z is brand new, max weight, to take care of wind conditions where my old one would flip.

one FLX to have for cold winter rounds as well as to have a buzz that likes to go right a tad more. 175g.

2 Rocs -- both 180g. use them mostly for turnovers and anhyzers. The DX one is 6-7/10 and can hold a high turnover forever. i love it. Then i have a 8/10 star that I sometimes use if its too windy even for my newest Buzzz. but i mostly a buzzz guy.

Star Mako - 175g. .

ESP Impact -- 7/10

Either add a KC Roc and drop the Buzzzes, or Drop the Rocs (other than the Star)

PUTTERS:

i carry 4.

MVP iON gets the inside the circle duties
Organic Wizard backs it up and gets some use off the tee
ESP Banger GT is my approach putter

Star Aviar with a concave top, 6/10, turnover putter

Seems way too cluttered. I'm not a hardcore minimalist, but when traveling and playing new courses I primarily throw discs that I'm intimately familiar with and are predictable on all sorts of angles, at a wide range of speeds, as well as uphill and down hill: Teebird, Buzzz/Roc, stable putter...

Carrying all those different high speed driver molds for shots under 350' is just begging to end up off the fairway when you're in unfamiliar territory.

Latest posts