• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My Bag

PieMethod

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I've been playing for a few years now recreationally and have decided to start getting more serious about my game with the amount of free time I have. I've been buying new (to me) discs based on having thrown them for years or playing with someone elses. I am currently RHFH about 300 and RHBH about 250-275. I'm currently not in the market for anymore discs, and would rather not be told to go buy this or that if I can make something I currently have work. I have an Innova Beginners bag that holds 12 discs comfortably. Any feedback or suggestions on what I should have and how I should work it into my bag would be great.

Putter:
Innova JK Pro Aviar-x 169
Innova Rhyno 171
Discraft Pro D Banger-GT 169
Original Frisbee Disc PUTTER (170? I don't know the weight nor do I have a scale)

Mid Range:
Discraft Elite Z WASP 178
Gateway Element-X
Innova Star Mako

Drivers:
Innova
- Champion Monarch 175
- Champion Beast 169
- Eagle First Run 150
- Wraith 175
- XCaliber 175
- Champion Starfire 175
- DX Leopard 150
- Star Boss
- Star FL
- Star Sidewinder
Discraft
- Elite Z Flash (?)
- FLX XL (ESP)
- FLX Surge (ESP)

The discs I don't have weights for don't have them on the back and I don't have a scale here at the house. They feel like heavy 160's or light 170's.

DiscinLeopard said:
I've been playing for a few years now recreationally and have decided to start getting more serious about my game with the amount of free time I have. I've been buying new (to me) discs based on having thrown them for years or playing with someone elses. I am currently RHFH about 300 and RHBH about 250-275. I'm currently not in the market for anymore discs, and would rather not be told to go buy this or that if I can make something I currently have work. I have an Innova Beginners bag that holds 12 discs comfortably. Any feedback or suggestions on what I should have and how I should work it into my bag would be great.

Putter:
Innova Rhyno 171
Discraft Pro D Banger-GT 169
Original Frisbee Disc PUTTER (170? I don't know the weight nor do I have a scale)
Pick one straight and possibly one overstable and stick with them, you don't need that many putter molds.

Mid Range:
Discraft Elite Z WASP 178
Gateway Element-X
Innova Star Mako
Mako is a good straight/anny disc and the Wasp is supposedly a good overstable disc. No idea about the Element though.

Drivers:
Innova
- Champion Monarch 175 Too fast and too heavy, I'd go with a DX Sidewinder or a Roadrunner instead
- Champion Beast 169
- Eagle First Run 150
- Wraith 175 No need before you can hit around 350' consistently with TeeBird speed discs
- XCaliber 175 I don't remember how overstable the FL is, but I'd consider dropping this and going with that or a more speed appropriate Firebird/Banshee or something like that
- Champion Starfire 175 Might be too much of a disc, but I haven't thrown it and don't know what it could do for you.
- DX Leopard 150
- Star Boss You won't be needing this until you can hit 400' consistently
- Star FL
- Star Sidewinder Do you really need this and the Monarch? I'd pick just one (based on your distance I'd go with the Sidewinder. You might also consider DX Sidewinder, I throw just under 400' and used 165 DX Sidewinders for my turning needs before I got my 156 P-PD a few weeks ago
Discraft
- Elite Z Flash (?) According to Joe's Flight Chart this'll be appropriate when you can reach around 350' consistently, never thrown it myself though
- FLX XL (ESP)
- FLX Surge (ESP) This is a Wraith with a different stamp and in different plastic, so you won't be needing for a while

The discs I don't have weights for don't have them on the back and I don't have a scale here at the house. They feel like heavy 160's or light 170's.
In essence, go with slow (speed 8 and under) discs until you can reach ~350' or so reliably, then start to think about the faster stuff. Also don't be afraid of using lighter discs, max weight is best for windy conditions, but apart from that they're shorter and just fly more stable.

Well, if you need a dead sure overstable disc, the XCaliber can fill this role for you.

jubuttib said:
In essence, go with slow (speed 8 and under) discs until you can reach ~350' or so reliably, then start to think about the faster stuff. Also don't be afraid of using lighter discs, max weight is best for windy conditions, but apart from that they're shorter and just fly more stable.

Well, if you need a dead sure overstable disc, the XCaliber can fill this role for you.

What sort of 8 speed discs do you recommend? I always thought the speed rating on discs was how fast they could spin if you got the drive you wanted.

The speed rating is basically how wide the rim is. The faster discs maintain the speed you throw them at for a little bit longer, but don't glide as well. You also need to be able to throw them very fast for them to do what they're supposed to do. Basically until you throw 350-400' the slower discs will actually fly farther for you since they glide better.

If you like the 150g discs then the Leopard and Eagle should be the only two drivers you need. If I were you I'd get those two in 165-170 and you should have every shot covered. Maybe use the starfire or something for strong headwinds.

Putter:

Mid Range:
Discraft Elite Z WASP (depending on which element X you have that would work in place of the Z wasp)
Innova Star Mako

Drivers:
- Champion Beast 169 (Max D)
- Champion Starfire 175 (at your D overtable enough for most anything)
- DX Leopard 150 (Anhyzer)
- Star FL (Overstable for spike hyzers and monster headwinds)
- FLX XL (ESP) (Control Driver)

Everything else is really overlap.
In the long run I would replace the Leopard with a broken in X XL or a heavier Leopard. When your game picks up and your form smooths out you can get some of those other discs back out of storage.

The flash is a lot like your beast, the surge and wraith is similar as well, but not as easy to control. The first run eagle is a nice disc, 150 is a difficult weight to throw for control, but if you throw it well, it could be in the XL slot.

That is what I would do if I couldn't buy any and just had what you did.

coldy13 said:
The speed rating is basically how wide the rim is. The faster discs maintain the speed you throw them at for a little bit longer, but don't glide as well. You also need to be able to throw them very fast for them to do what they're supposed to do. Basically until you throw 350-400' the slower discs will actually fly farther for you since they glide better.

If you like the 150g discs then the Leopard and Eagle should be the only two drivers you need. If I were you I'd get those two in 165-170 and you should have every shot covered. Maybe use the starfire or something for strong headwinds.

I am looking into the next lot of discs I get here in the next month or so.

I only use the Leopard and the Eagle when I'm trapped in the woods and can only use a flick of the wrist or a little twist in my core, not for anything major.

coldy13 said:
I only use the Leopard and the Eagle when I'm trapped in the woods and can only use a flick of the wrist or a little twist in my core, not for anything major.

I am sorry to hear that. They are fine discs for a variety of shots.

biodarwin said:
coldy13 said:

well, how can i better utilize these discs? anytime i try to put anything into these discs they roll over on me.

DiscinLeopard said:
biodarwin said:
coldy13 said:

well, how can i better utilize these discs? anytime i try to put anything into these discs they roll over on me.

They could be too light or too beat.

You could try to release with more of a hyzer angle.

If this doesn't work it could be that you have some OAT problems.

Spence255 said:

whats an OAT problem?

DiscinLeopard said:
Spence255 said:

whats an OAT problem?

OAT = Off-Axis Torque. I had a lot of these problems for a month or two myself when I first started tweaking my form, and they still show up from time to time. Hit up the technique forum (particularly the 'Stuck at 300ft' thread), and you will find very in depth explanation of this problem. Almost everyone runs into this type of problem when they are starting to work on their form.

Latest posts