• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My journey to 450feet consistently. Help!

Hi again and thanks.

I've been doing quite a bit of fieldwork lately.

I never used to do the "pump". I've been doing it lately, as I wanted to try something new. I wanted to try DG from a different perspective and see what happens. I guess I'm collapsing my shoulder if I don't get my elbow further left (seen from back of the teepad)? Do it look better, if not, should I get more of my elbow out left? Is there any specific players that I should mimic, Gannon Buhr comes to mind while I'm thinking about a guy that really gets his elbow out. I've heard about collapsing shoulder, but I'm not sure what it means in reality.

I must say, while I've been doing fieldwork, I've been thinking about 10 o'clock briefly. I didn't understand it in the past, but I havent looked at those videos for a long time. Is this relevant to my issue?

I must say that I recently discovered that I'm very ER dominant, I score very good on my ER test, but bad on my IR test.

I notice that I plant VERY closed when I'm throwing in an open field, it kinda sets me up for a IR throw, while I'm very ER dominant (should I try to plant more open, closer to 90 degrees closed). I notice when I plant this closed, it sets me up for a IR shot, while I'm ER. Can my footwork in an open field make me collapse more frequently?

I throw behind the disc to see how my plant foot angles up against the disc. I'm not 90 degrees closed, I'm way more. The disc hits/touches my left nipple often. Funny story, I very seldom hit/touches my nipple when I throw into a soccer goal. I don't get what I do different. It also seem like my plant foot is "only" 90 degrees closed also.

What is the best way to create more space in my pocket?

Lots of thoughts in my head.

I didn't hit myself once in these throws. I don't hit myself with the disc when I'm throwing into a soccer goal, I seldom do it. When I'm in a open field I do it often. Anything I do different here? I also notice that I plant more 90 degrees closed when I throw into a soccer goal.

I hit/touch myself in my left nipple in all of these throws. Seem like I'm planting too closed?

I'm probably overthinking lots of stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not a form guru I just throw discs but I also occasionally hit myself and it's entirely a timing thing. I throw lefty and if I fire early or my plant foot slips I will crash into my right side ribs with the disc. Your throw looks stiff to me like you're really trying to do specific things. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you get more comfortable and loosen up over time.

I'm not a form guru I just throw discs but I also occasionally hit myself and it's entirely a timing thing. I throw lefty and if I fire early or my plant foot slips I will crash into my right side ribs with the disc. Your throw looks stiff to me like you're really trying to do specific things. That's not necessarily a bad thing if you get more comfortable and loosen up over time.

Yep, it might be a little bit stiff even though I try to be smooth. I'm not sure I agree on the timing part, anyways I think timing is a very general word.

I have planted here, and my "reachback" is peaked, or do you mean something else?

I think this picture is somewhat interesting, seem like my head is buried below my shoulders on the left side, but on the right side. However, I didn't really hit myself in these throws.

Yep, it might be a little bit stiff even though I try to be smooth. I'm not sure I agree on the timing part, anyways I think timing is a very general word.

I have planted here, and my "reachback" is peaked, or do you mean something else?

I think this picture is somewhat interesting, seem like my head is buried below my shoulders on the left side, but on the right side. However, I didn't really hit myself in these throws.

I mean like to actually hit yourself you have to either plant off balance or your torso/body is rotating a little early and where you would normally clear your swing your body is now in the way as you pull through. Being that your throwing on grass you probably have good plant foot balance because grass catches so much you can dig against it with your momentum. Your backswing seems wide enough that it's not a rounding thing.

I have some friends that have head nod thing going on mid swing and they can push 500 I think it's a result of flexing a lot of core muscles.

I'll pester sidewinder and see what he thinks about it.

Sorry for spamming down my own thread.

I was searching youtube for powerpocket, and I came over a video from Gannon Buhr about power pocket. I've heard about powerpocket several of times, but never really understood what it was. I watched the video and decided to record the footage. I did a comparison in Kinovea where he maxed out at 350 feet and one at 500 feet. I was following his elbow carefully. I noticed immediately, how he changed up his elbow.

I had to go out and try it out. I think it looks better and I didn't hit myself, but I usually don't hit myself throwing into a soccer goal anyways. I guess when I'm throwing into a net, I've been close in the past, but got away with it. I've probably been really close to hitting myself regardless if I'm throwing into a net, but been able to adapt slightly.

Sorry for spamming down my own thread.

I was searching youtube for power pocket, and I came over a video from Gannon Buhr about power pocket. I've heard about powerpocketseveral of times, but never really understood what it was. I watched the video and decided to recoord the footage. I did a comparison in Kinovea where he maxed out at 350 feet and one at 500 feet. I was following his elbow carefully. I noticed immediately, how he changed up his elbow.

I had to go out and try it out. I think it looks better and I didn't hit myself, but I usually don't hit myself throwing into a soccer goal anyways. I guess when I'm throwing into a net, I've been close in the past, but got away with it. I've probably been really close to hitting myself regardless if I'm throwing into a net.

Too much funky chicken posture with your elbows behind your back and rear foot pigeon toed in too much. Your left elbow going way back behind your back/posterior like makes my back hurt. Keep your elbow to the anterior of your body like with a battering ram. Gannon's left elbow never goes behind his back/posterior.

It looks like you are scared to swing the disc back behind you and trying to keep the arm/disc artificially wide/left and high. I think that is why you hit yourself on those throws. Your disc trajectory is going leftward but your reachback is also leftward so your body is in the way. If you reachback to the left then your trajectory should be to the right, so it's still basically a line with but a sine wave swing along the trajectory. I'd recommend your lead elbow about nipple high instead of shoulder high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADjcR_ZtUw&t=342s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 8.49.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 8.49.12 PM.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 120
I didn't hit myself in the garage, when you thought I looked like a funky chicken. I did hit myself when I was throwing in an open field in a soccer arena.

I tried today to have my left foot pointing more backwards, hopefully that prevent me from toeing in. That was my main focus in the first video.

I also tried switching it up between wide and tighter reachback, also high pull through and low pull through.

The blue disc that is in front of most of my throws, I try to plant 90 degrees closed to it. I have a tendency that my body drifts from right to left (seen from the back), that will often cause me to be much more closed on my plant in comparison to what I intended, I suddenly plant like I'm IR because of that. This will also cause me to be more like 120 degrees closed instead of 90 degrees.

My plan was to throw 90 degrees closed, like the yellow line (this is picture is from footage I had last weekend) but I end up planting left of it, but also more closed.

This is footage from today where my goal was getting my rear foot more anticlock (less straight)

Trying to get my elbow away from my upperbody.

Do you see any improvement anywhere? If so what should I keep focusing on?

I notice in your picture between me and Gannon Buhr, his right shoulder is much lower in comparison. Does that matter?

Stop bending your knees until you start moving.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 2.28.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 2.28.34 AM.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 103
Back again with a new post.

The last couple of months, I've been focusing getting reptations throwing into a wall, but also playing some at the local course. I don't get to see the flight of the disc while throwing into a wall.

I feel that I'm pulling, but in reality I don't know what pulling is. I hear the word pulling in Jomez, Gatekeeper Media and so on. I think pulling means, pulling the disc through my chest and releasing 12 o'clock until 3-4. I also think about pulling as rounding, but I'm not sure. A lot of thoughts, what is pulling in reality? I feel that I don't use my arm a lot, especially not in these videos, but I end up "pulling" anyways. I also think about pulling as using a lot of arm, I feel this word is getting used wrong and makes me unsure.

A lot of coaching videos talks about releasing 10 o'clock – 11 o'clock is the correct release point? If I get a release point at 12'o clock, that means the disc basically travelled through my body? If I release at 11'o clock, it came into my powerpocket, and went out instead of through my body?

How do I fix this? Focus on getting a release point at 10'o clock. Should my focus area be to fool my mind and think about releasing early for a long time, basically trick my brain??

I don't see any specific differences when I release late or early, except that I see the disc travels different.

A lot of questions, but I need to clear my mind.

– Different angles, but also slowmo

Thanks!

You never really turn your frontside back into rearside.

After watching the video you posted, I feel I'm "landing" on my plant instead of "falling". I get my upperbody coiled, I land on my plant, but I don't transfer weight. I just rotate.

I feel I should, get my upperbody coiled, fall more on my plant foot and the rotation over upperbody will happen by itself.

Those where I "land" on my plant, are my normal throws I've been doing lately. The throws where I "fall" are my "new" throws.

Side by side, a normal throw where I land on my plant, and one where I fall on plant.

Some different angles.

Do it looks better?

Thanks.

Yeah I think the fall looks a little better. The only pro I can think of that holds the disc preset like you do during the x-step is Matty O, but he reaches back much higher/leaving the disc in place, while you let the arm/disc start dropping lower while you stride into the plant.

Yeah I think the fall looks a little better. The only pro I can think of that holds the disc preset like you do during the x-step is Matty O, but he reaches back much higher/leaving the disc in place, while you let the arm/disc start dropping lower while you stride into the plant.
I haven't thought about my reachback dropping, I guess I'm too relaxed? I can try to hold the position.

What is causing our upperbody to get coil? I've seen videos that talks about engaging left arm to get the coil of upperbody (have left arm help getting coil), I've seen videos that talks about coiling upperbody and plant (which is what I do) and I've also seen videos that talk about last step creating the coil of the upperbody itself? The reason why I'm asking, is that it feels a bit weird to "fall" on my plant when I have coil of upperbody, if I drop the coil of the upperbody, it feels really simple as I only focus on plant. I kinda notice that I get some coil of the upperbody itself when I look back at the disc in the "reachback"

Hi again.

I've seen your video and made myself a few thoughts.

In order to create coil of my upperbody, I don't need to force the coil to happen. In the "past" (a few days ago) I was helping myself getting a coil by using my throwing arm . If i try to look at the target and plant, I will only get a little bit of a coil. If I look back at the disc in the "reachback", I will get much more coil. In order to create maximum coil of my upperbody, I need to get my rear foot to be pointing more backwards. My hips are more ER oriented vs IR. You agree with my thoughts about creating a coil of my upperbody?

I've been working a bit on "falling" on my plantfoot, instead of "landing". I feel something different. The way that I threw before, feel more of a throw such as: "Slighly land, and rotate on my plant". Now I feel like I'm more "falling", and the disc will be delivered if I have patience.

Been mostly focusing on falling on my plant, I want to get used to that feeling. I feel that upperbody coil will fix itself when I get better footwork?

What are you thoughts? Looking better? Just need to get more repetitions and be more ER oriented in my x-step?

I also have "normal" shots which is my "old" shot. Easier to compare differences.

Better with the fall, but it looks like you are trying to keep your head down or something and getting jammed up instead of pivoting thru and your knee is hyper extended. Note how Eagle's head is up, chin way off the chest in the followthru and knee slightly bent.
Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 4.21.24 AM.png

Better with the fall, but it looks like you are trying to keep your head down or something and getting jammed up instead of pivoting thru and your knee is hyper extended. Note how Eagle's head is up, chin way off the chest in the followthru and knee slightly bent.

I'm not sure why I end up like this. I normally end up like Eagle in the followthru. It might be because I was trying to get a lot of repetitions in a short amount of time. When I have a feeling that I'm about to fall, I try to get lots of reps before I forget the "feeling".

Thanks again for verification, it feels much better compared to the past. However on camera it looks the same for me.

Lately I've been focusing on falling on my plant instead of just landing.

I notice that I feel unsure about my hips and my rear foot, and how to create more coil on my upperbody. I struggle to get a full coil of my upperbody when I focus on my footwork. In the past (as in 2-3 weeks, I helped myself coiling my upperbody).

Lately I've been mostly focused on falling on my plant, instead of landing on it. The way that I "fall" on my plant feels definitely different compared to what I did a couple of weeks ago, also feels better. Anyways, the way that I understand the last video of SW22, is that coil of upperbody gets created by itself.

Can I just change up my x-step and I will be getting more coil on my upperbody? If not, what will create more coil on upperbody?

I'll try to show a few example to show what I mean:

View from behind:

At 0:02, this is how I mostly operate my rear foot. I can tell that I don't get a full coil of my upperbody. My left shoulder be behind my right shoulder.

At 0:09, I change up my rear foot significantly. It's pointing more back in comparison. Looks okay? It seems like I get more of a coil of my upperbody?

At 0:13, I try out DG Spin Doctor – THE RUBBER BAND EFFECT (ABC = Always Be Coiling)
Link to his video:

I can most definitely tell I get way more coil, but I force it to happen with my upperbody, and I can feel this slingshot effect and my upperbody gets pulled to the throwing line. It's hard to stop myself. Anyways, I don't think this feels correct. It also seem like I get too much coil on my upperbody?

A comparison between me at 0:02 and 0:09. My focus is to have my rear foot pointing more backward in order to get more coil

Sideview:

Pretty much doing the same as in "View from behind", except the angle is from a sideview.

This video from DG Spin Doctor seems wrong? Any tip for me? Any shots looks better than others? What should I keep doing?

Comparison where I try to change up my x-step to be pointing more backwards.