• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

So my backpack came in today and I made a frame for the discs...

DGBackpack3.jpg

I haven't taken it for a round yet but so far it seems like it will work.

Just got mine in today, 52 dollars including shipping. It looks exactly like this. I have an orange disc obsession also. Discs fit in there perfectly, and I can easily fit 20 discs in the main pocket and 2 in the putter like pocket, not including the top storage pocket which can fit another 8 at least (including my condor) if needed.

I just get this feeling like the discs are going to fall out. I definitely am looking into altering it to prevent that from happening. I was either thinking some safety pins for the bottom pocket as a cheap alternative or an internal frame. How do you like that PVC frame? I was thinking about trying to get one tomorrow.

I'm 6'1" 250lbs... are the straps going to be too snug as some had suggested earlier? I'm really interested in getting one of these- does the deluxe bag have a bigger yoke?
Thanks either way.

I'm 6'1" 250lbs... are the straps going to be too snug as some had suggested earlier? I'm really interested in getting one of these- does the deluxe bag have a bigger yoke?
Thanks either way.

Should be fine, there is alot of adjustment in these.

@ jecroisque:
Safety pins work.
Before I built the pvc frame, I had a cheapo ($1) plastic magazine rack in the bottom. It fit 16 discs and had a lip on the lower front...worked really well

I just get this feeling like the discs are going to fall out. I definitely am looking into altering it to prevent that from happening. I was either thinking some safety pins for the bottom pocket as a cheap alternative or an internal frame. How do you like that PVC frame? I was thinking about trying to get one tomorrow.

The PVC frame is easy to make. So far I have had no issues. Some guys don't like the way the bottom of the backpack rides on your lower back with a rigid frame, but it would do the same with the tackle compartments it there. I made my frame to fit tight and the front up pieces and the top side pieces are not glued so I can take the frame in & out without putting pressure on the zipper.

If you don't want the zippers going all the way down instead of using safety pins take a needle & thread and sew a zipper stop by wrapping the thread around both sides of the zipper where you want it to stop at. It will be easier on the zippers and the wear & tear.

Thanks either way.

I'm a big guy and the straps fit fine.

If you don't want the zippers going all the way down instead of using safety pins take a needle & thread and sew a zipper stop by wrapping the thread around both sides of the zipper where you want it to stop at. It will be easier on the zippers and the wear & tear.

This is pretty genius. It never occurred to me to sew a stopper on. I like my PVC frame though and it only takes a couple of minutes to put build and install. The discs stand up straight and do not roll out ever.

I am not sure why people are saying this is nothing like a Grip bag. I have used a Grip before and these are pretty similar. Shape, capacity and feel are all very similar.

I played my first round today with the backpack and it went very well. It was easy to get the discs in & out of the bottom storage. It was fairly comfortable. The straps sit a little different than my quad straps but as I get used to the new straps it will be more comfy.

I also took a strand of black elastic rope and connected the two bottom compartment zipper tabs so I can close both sides at the same time.

I might have to cut the cross straps from the back pack straps they are a little annoying to me.

It's a no lose buy. If you don't like it as a DG bag it will make a perfect overnight tourney backpack. Worse comes to worse just find a friend or relative that's in to fishing and sell it to him.

I put a PVC frame in mine today, Finally got the dimensions right after about 10 tries. After all of that effort, I didn't like it. I feel like I can fit an extra 4 or 5 discs in that bottom pocket without the frame. I think I'll just go with making a zipper stop and folding the pocket in to keep the discs from falling out.

What didn't you like about it? The fact that it took away storage space or was it uncomfortable?

That it took away from storage space without adding more benefit to offset that. For me, the structure of the bag doesn't cave in enough for the frame to be a necessity, especially when the frame takes 4 discs at least out of the bag. It didn't find it uncomfortable at all with the frame in, that wasn't the issue.

I put a PVC frame in mine today, Finally got the dimensions right after about 10 tries. After all of that effort, I didn't like it. I feel like I can fit an extra 4 or 5 discs in that bottom pocket without the frame. I think I'll just go with making a zipper stop and folding the pocket in to keep the discs from falling out.

Try this....

Go to a fabric store and buy a small square of 1 inch memory foam. Cut a piece that fits the bottom and put your discs in. After a while the weight of the discs will make permanent indentions in the foam and make a groove to keep your discs in place.

Try this....

Go to a fabric store and buy a small square of 1 inch memory foam. Cut a piece that fits the bottom and put your discs in. After a while the weight of the discs will make permanent indentions in the foam and make a groove to keep your discs in place.

You are like a DIY Disc Golf Bag Guru...

I've pretty much gotten the back pack the way I want it now. I did make some modifications...

I sewed the zipper stops in on the disc compartment
DGmods3.jpg

I took the cross straps off because they just get in my way
DGmods2.jpg

I added a strand of black elastic rope to the disc compartment zippers so I can open or close both zippers at the same time.
DGmods1.jpg

I took the male clip from the cross strap and replaced one of the female clips on the insulated side bag to tighten up the opening to help keep the bottle cold.
DGmods4.jpg

I did some decorating while I was at it. The American flag patch covered up the logo on the disc compartment.
DGmods7.jpg

I also took two 1 1/2 in foam (spray painted black) and cut it to fit in the sides of the internal disc frame to keep the discs upright. I have 16 discs in there now and there was room for about 4 more.

Another one sold....

What the heck! I'll have fun making a frame and modifying my bag.

Nice mods Fred!
Still on sale for $50 + $9 shipping:
Cabela's XPG Pro Series Angler Pack

Enter Promo Code "42PENNY" for $0.01 shipping when you also order clothing or footwear, so
...I added a moisture wicking T-shirt (on sale for $10): net cost to me $1
Who of use can't use another T-Shirt? ;)

Last edited: