• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My weirdest putt ever

The rule seems stupid to me, it's not like someone could really make it land on top of the basket on purpose or would gain any real advantage by doing it even if they could. "It's not in the basket" seems like anal-retentive bull jive to me. If it sticks and hangs in the chains it still counts, why not on top?

The rule seems stupid to me, it's not like someone could really make it land on top of the basket on purpose or would gain any real advantage by doing it even if they could. "It's not in the basket" seems like anal-retentive bull jive to me. If it sticks and hangs in the chains it still counts, why not on top?

agreed. its not remotely easy to make a putt stick on top of the basket.

i understand why it doesnt count, but due to the rarity of the situation why not make it count..

If a basketball stalls on top of the backboard or rim does the shot count? The top of the basket is not the goal.

while granted the disc sitting on top of the basket may be a bit ridiculous it is in fact by the rules not in the chains or the bucket so it shouldn't count. as far as your putt is concerned...

you didn't have to stand completely on the top of the structure. all you need is a point of contact. you could have marked your lie under the bucket and placed a knee there, one foot up and one foot down, a hand and all that would have been fine. You are not allowed to use the basket to support yourself in anyway, it is an illegal putt. even putting a hand on the bucket to bend down and put your disc in for a drop in with your hand still on the basket is a no no. Basically you made this way harder on yourself and in turn made an illegal putt.

as for where you place your marker if you are sitting on top, place it as close to the outside edge of your disc as you can judge, straight down. If you're perfectly centered then it's gotta be on the pole. If you're to one side or the other, then your marker should be hanging around the edge of the bucket pretty much.

Really? We have to worry about this crapola? Even in a tournament where $1,000,000 is at stake (wouldn't be nice if that were true?) you are really going to take a disc that is lying directly under or on top of the basket and worry about where to stand?! Just pick the daggum thing up and and put it in for your final shot....SHEEEZ.

:wall:

People who would call someone out for not standing in the right position for a shot that is either leaning on the pole or on top of the basket were clearly never given the correct nipple as a baby.

I played a tourney last saturday at my home course, Bird's Ruins in Marshall WI. This is hole 13. My putt landed on top of the basket. So I had to place my mini on the top level of the structure and climb up. When I gat up there, the diameter of the basket forced me to lean back. So I had to hold on to the basket, grab my putter off the top and drop it into the basket. Wish I had thought to have someone take a picture.

I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure that is not how you play that lie.

Really? We have to worry about this crapola? Even in a tournament where $1,000,000 is at stake (wouldn't be nice if that were true?) you are really going to take a disc that is lying directly under or on top of the basket and worry about where to stand?! Just pick the daggum thing up and and put it in for your final shot....SHEEEZ.

People who would call someone out for not standing in the right position for a shot that is either leaning on the pole or on top of the basket were clearly never given the correct nipple as a baby.

I agree 100%. In casual play with friends we just ad a stroke and move on to the next hole if the putt is within arms length of the target. To reach out and literally drop a disc into the basket just seems like such a waste of time. In ball golf do you make the golfers in your group make those 3 or 4 inch tap ins or do you let them pick up, ad a stroke and move on?

I agree 100%. In casual play with friends we just ad a stroke and move on to the next hole if the putt is within arms length of the target. To reach out and literally drop a disc into the basket just seems like such a waste of time. In ball golf do you make the golfers in your group make those 3 or 4 inch tap ins or do you let them pick up, ad a stroke and move on?

The first line in the OP was "I played a tourney this weekend". Therefore rules need to be followed. Casual play, no issues, league play, no issues, tourney play, follow all rules. This one is pretty cut and dried really.

You would mark on the top level, and place a foot right behind mini on top level and then just like on a hill, you'd have your other foot behind it on a different level. Likely all your weight would be on the back foot, since there is little room on the top level. And then put the disc in the basket. Grabbing onto the basket would be a violation. Casual play, who cares, but this was a tournament.

Last edited:
Really? We have to worry about this crapola? Even in a tournament where $1,000,000 is at stake (wouldn't be nice if that were true?) you are really going to take a disc that is lying directly under or on top of the basket and worry about where to stand?! Just pick the daggum thing up and and put it in for your final shot....SHEEEZ..

In your imaginary tournament, I would stroke you for not marking your disc :p

But only because we're playing for $1,000,000

In reality, I would put my foot as close to the pole as is safe and hole out with a different disc.

I was putting downhill wiht a soft magent for birdie from 20 feet on a heavily wooded hole. The basket is on a semi-level patch, with an old, flat stump about 10" tall behind the basket. My putt smashed center chains, but flopped off the edge of the basket its way down, landing on the ground. I swear it landed flat, on the fairly level, smooth dirt surface by the basket, but it somehow bounced up and stood on edge. It started rolling to the stump, rolled onto the stump, and spun around slowly on top before rolling off the backside and then 80' downhill. FML. It rolled into thick rough with no line to the basket. So it took an out, then an up, then a putt to score a double bogey. Strangest roll i have experienced. Plus it was the first hole, which set me up pefectly for the rest of the round.

I was putting downhill wiht a soft magent for birdie from 20 feet on a heavily wooded hole. The basket is on a semi-level patch, with an old, flat stump about 10" tall behind the basket. My putt smashed center chains, but flopped off the edge of the basket its way down, landing on the ground. I swear it landed flat, on the fairly level, smooth dirt surface by the basket, but it somehow bounced up and stood on edge. It started rolling to the stump, rolled onto the stump, and spun around slowly on top before rolling off the backside and then 80' downhill. FML. It rolled into thick rough with no line to the basket. So it took an out, then an up, then a putt to score a double bogey. Strangest roll i have experienced. Plus it was the first hole, which set me up pefectly for the rest of the round.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to invoke an Optional Re-throw (803.02B). May have saved you a stroke.

Agreed 100%. We got a local player that does exactly what you are says every time.

You know, I really would have no issue if the PDGA decided to make an official "gimme" rule for DROTs and wedgies, provided that the basket was the only thing that the disc was touching.

You know, I really would have no issue if the PDGA decided to make an official "gimme" rule for DROTs and wedgies, provided that the basket was the only thing that the disc was touching.

Ehh I wouldnt go as far as to say this. I missed a 1 foot putt this last weekend in a tourney because I got pissed off that I missed a 5 footer then I rocketed my 1 footer into the basket and missed. I know my disc wasnt wedged or on top but I was the same distance away. Making it a gimme would take away those 1 in 1000000 that miss that putt

I have seen more than one player miss those drop ins through carelessness or hot dogging. Its pretty funny to see someone take an extra stroke for showing off. My favorite is when someone tries to turbo slam the disc and it pops out. Keeps them humble. Casually we just walk away from gimmes or brush the curtain of chains. In tournaments people tend to hole out, though I have seen gimmes there as well.

General rule is if the disc has to be thrown then its not a gimme. If it can be placed then it can be a gimme

Oh and to the OP, your stance, and thus putt were illegal, as has been pointed out

Wow, I never intended to open such a rule debate.:) I only thought I was telling a semi-amusing anecdote. There was no big discussion at the time about how I should play it. I did what I did, no one said anything, and we moved on. As I stated earlier, in hindsight, what I should have done was place the mini on the top level, and stand on the next level down so I wouldn't have hung onto the basket. Placing my lead foot on the upper level, as someone suggested, is a good idea, to be sure I'm within 30 cm. Good thing no one stroked me as it would have taken me out of the 3rd place tie (I won the playoff).

I played a tourney last saturday at my home course, Bird's Ruins in Marshall WI. This is hole 13. My putt landed on top of the basket. So I had to place my mini on the top level of the structure and climb up. When I gat up there, the diameter of the basket forced me to lean back. So I had to hold on to the basket, grab my putter off the top and drop it into the basket. Wish I had thought to have someone take a picture.

Holding onto the basket is an illegal stance. You have to support yourself, or however the rule states it. Why go through all the drama. You could have easily marked the disc on the top level then stood a level down within appropriate stance guidelines and dropped the putter in.

My craziest putt was into a head wind. Nose up, rose directly over the basket, then blew back in the backside of the chains...with witnesses too.

Really? So this is how we make the sport respectable. Lets institute the "within a club length gimme rule" in ball golf. There is only one reason for gimme's...its so you don't get embarassed when you are an idiot and miss a 5 footer. Take the game serious at least for those 3 seconds. I treat drop-ins like they are 30' putts for a win. I NEVER want to miss a stroke. If you can't focus long enough to get a 5'er in, then go play with the first timers and stay away from tournaments. I can't think of a dumber idea than gimme's in competition...well maybe mulligans. "1 every 9", 2 off the first "...." rules, 2 putts on the first hole. We should add, "normally I wouldnt throw that shot, let me do what I would have done," as part of the rules.

Also, more seriously, when wind/rain/snow is involved, nothing no matter how short is a gimme.

Because it didnt go into the basket. End of story. If a basketball balances on the top of the backboard or wedges between the rim and board it doesnt count...no one complains about that. No one says...HEY! That was "close enough."

Why did I get involved with this thread...opinions like these are why disc golf is stuck in obscurity.

Latest posts