• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"NAGS" Zone

That's why I'm neutral. I'm not sure it's a perceived problem that needs to be solved. Separate from this issue, I think a bigger problem is simply producing a better basket design, not necessarily smaller diameter.

Roc Lover said:
Not to thread derail, but, 1000 hrs of putting only practice in a year is pretty difficult to do
Yep, that's about two hours and 45 minutes of putting practice every single day of the year. You're not gonna do that.

Though if you did, you'd be one hell of a putting machine after that. And probably have a sore back.

EDIT: For the heck of it, using two discs from around 25' I do about 6 putts a minute when practicing. Keep that up and it's 360 000 putts a year. Good practice. =)

Roc Lover said:
Kscustom said:
This is pretty good thread. If you have played a super class tour I am not so sure about making pros use zyphers. I am not the best putter (getting better) but I hit 6-7 long putts with a zephyr. They can miss because they are so big but with practice I don't think it be a disadvantage. Also playiing am and puting in 1000 hours of practice the last year I would be discouraged if I had to learn the game all over just to make it pro. If you want to limit the top players I would say do it on the drive not on the putt. I have only played a little less than 2 years, and want to continue, in a sport growing as fast as dg why change it much when it is growing so fast? The formula works or it wouldn't be growing at the rate it is. But a true par system should be established. And hopefully any new courses going in are being well planned. I really like the articles in discgolfer keep em coming
Not to thread derail, but, 1000 hrs of putting only practice in a year is pretty difficult to do

He didn't say putting, he said putting as in he is practicing a total of 1000 hours in general of disc golf :) I could see someone putting in that many hours of all around playing/practice.

Before I traveled so much, I was putting around 250 putts every night in my back yard from 3 distances, 10', 20' and 30'
I would do my normal putt 25 times, I would practice straddle putt 25 times at each distance and then I would create a down hill scenario, and a putting from the knee scenario from all 3 distances,
finishing out with 10 jump putts.
Inside 20' I was around 98%, 30' I was around 85% still room for improvement.

I am also not a fan of par 2's or larger diameter putters. If i had to choose, par 2's would be my solution since they dont actually change anything, most birdies doesnt win, most bogeys doesnt lose, fewest strokes wins regardless of what you call them.

Roc Lover said:
I am also not a fan of par 2's or larger diameter putters. If i had to choose, par 2's would be my solution since they dont actually change anything, most birdies doesnt win, most bogeys doesnt lose, fewest strokes wins regardless of what you call them.
^^^ this. i think we as disc golfers get too wrapped up on what is par.

geat thread.

uNicedmeMan said:
Fritz said:
I have used Superclass discs to putt with before, the Snap Whitler and liked it. But man was it tough to make longer putts.

Not a superclass disc, just sayin' (damn shame too).

I thought it got it's classification? Bummer.
I've thrown the other ones too Zephyr, Ultra-star, Sky-styler (we gave away club stamped sky-stylers the one year in hopes people would be open to playing a superclass tourney but it never happened :(
I just liked the Whitler.

chunk said:
Roc Lover said:

geat thread.

True that. Well spoken Roc.

I try to get in 2 separate hours a day of putting. And throw 20-30 drives. I only play a couple rounds a week if that. My local course has homemade baskets which are not my favorite. So I work mostly from home. I played 36 tournaments in 2011 in KS, CO, NE, OK, and MO. I plan to play adv this year, my rating is not so good and I do make mistakes, but playing up makes you better for sure. The first time I ever touched a disc was mothers day 2010. So this spring will be 2 years. I am passionate about disc golf and it brings peace to my life. I love to see good discussion and had throw it in there that yes I do mean close to a 1000 hours of practice but only 2 hours a day putting I'll have to try and get in the extra 45 minutes this year! Thanks for the math help.

Fritz said:
chunk said:
Roc Lover said:

geat thread.
True that. Well spoken Roc.
A point which has been brought up before in this thread, but a good point none the less.

Would it be easier to just make the holes harder for majors and open/pro divisions if you want to lower the scores so they dont look like a handful of players arent a huge leap of talent ahead of the other divisions at a glance? Or change par relative to the skill level of the division, basically like a divisional handicap? Pro par54, am1 par 60 etc etc, changes nohing stroke wise, looks better on paper fo the people that were worried about whether or not ron converse crushed them by around 30 strokes in a 2 dayer last year ( wasnt me i swear)

If you can't change the holes, changing the par doesn't work if you also want to avoid par 2s.

Chuck Kennedy said:
If you can't change the holes, changing the par doesn't work if you also want to avoid par 2s.
Pros use diff tees? Make the hole harder to start with, then have divisional tees, white, blue red etc
Im still having trouble understanding how par 2 holes help or hurt anyone specifically? Wouldnt that change affect everyone and thus cancel out? Unless youre talking about pro only par 2's? Either way all a pro par 2 hole accomplishes is the pro scores look more like the division below it or like the course is tougher, which is an illusion if you dont change the holes right? How much of these proposed changes are for image purposes to the general public or more casual crowd?

Chuck Kennedy said:
Also, i realize the pdga has a chart/formula thing factoring distance and density of trees and such to come to a number to use for what par should be. Whats to stop someone from calling something a different par? Would it really confuse people that much to have par/pro par and have it be a different number? This seems to be the true root of this discussion, change that chart, or make a more updated or specific one or just make a "gold level" one, would that work?

Fundamentally, you can't make well designed, relatively open gold level holes tough enough to match par without changing the putting ratio that's already been discussed. Or, you can set par on several of our current "fake" par 3s to par 2s. Even if you stretch out a relatively open hole so gold level players average 2.7 with 30% 2s and 70% 3s so it's not a fake par 3, the Super Gold level top players will average 2.4-2.5 on those holes or 3.4-3.5 on equivalent par 4s. Cumulatively, top players shoot 7-9 down even on gold courses like this that are relatively open and those playing well that event can shoot even better.

It's a different story in the woods and we'll see that impact to some extent at Charlotte Worlds later this year which will have a high percentage of wooded holes where scores average closer to listed par and still have good scoring spread.

Im not sure why we are using open holes and courses as the example, to me it would be as simple as, do whatever you need to do to make the hole that much more challenging regardless of openness. Use banners for triple mandos, have tighter fairways or more Ob? If youre worried (not you personally) about holes playing as essentially 3.5 par then make the hole play differently so that half stroke of difficulty is applied to the higher skilled players.

Sorry I can't get through to you. It's just not that simple. We've already taken much of this thread and there are other threads to fully explain the problem.

Sorry im too slow for you i guess. Just seems like over complication for overcomplications sake to me.

Fwiw, in my head my posts were more like suggestions looking for feedback and improvement on those and not like " chuck and the pdga cant do shit correctly like fix these easily fixable problems" just sayin

For things to look simple on the surface many times requires a lot of complications behind the scenes to make it look simple.

I will be excited to see how a lot of the Pros handle some of the tight courses at Charlotte. I do expect to hear some bitching about unfair holes because some of the holes at Nevin, HN and Renny really punish you if you miss the fairway.

Latest posts