• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Natural Beauties and Unique discs

ManU

* Ace Member *
Marshallstreet calls them Natural Beauties and DGC calls them unique

you know the discs...where a dye change happens and you get some sweet swirly dye or mix

nice discs

not really a major issue but why is it that these discs are Innova?

I'm pretty sure I have not seen any Discraft in this category...not really sure about the other manufacturers

so do manufacturers other than Innova have a different production process whereby from colour to colour there is no continuous production so that the dyes are always one colour for each run of a disc?

or do the QC these dye mix discs out of retail?

personally I really like these disc...it would be nice to see something by Discraft for example

I have occasionally seen "unique" Discraft discs. Mostly in Z plastic, and they only seem to have slight swirls or color mixing. Perhaps their molding equipment doesn't hold as much residual plastic.

You see some from Latitude every now and then too, but nothing as prominent as Innova's. I don't get it either, if I was in charge at a disc molding company i'd be mixing dyes all the time.

Jeronimo said:
You see some from Latitude every now and then too, but nothing as prominent as Innova's. I don't get it either, if I was in charge at a disc molding company i'd be mixing dyes all the time.
i dunno man, my buddy has an AMAZING looking pink/purple GL river that is super swirly

I guess this is my point
there is the odd Discraft (I have not seen one)
there is the odd Latitude disc (I have seen)

but the dye mix ones from Innova are pretty damn common in either Pro, Champ, or Star

it would be nice to see more of this from the other guys

a nice swirl dye mix/ colour change disc is always my first choice over a "normal" disc

I understand what you guys are saying, how the dye changes look cool.

I just find it funny that people are complaining about consistency in a disc manufacturer :p

Jesse B 707 said:
Jeronimo said:
i dunno man, my buddy has an AMAZING looking pink/purple GL river that is super swirly

$20. Right now, call him up.

Jeronimo said:
Jesse B 707 said:
Jeronimo said:

$20. Right now, call him up.
naw man......when he is sick of that disc it is MINE!

i was right there when he got it too, it was the first time in quite a while that we'd been down to final 9 in sac so we both kinda rushed over to the Lat 64 section to try to swoop up the hidden gems before the other as we both throw a lot of L64, i thought it would be savvy to go to the XXX rack first and try to snag some flat ones......no dice there :( (but they did have some nice close to flat ones), just as i finish sifting through the XXX i see him pulling out this GORGEOUS River :| .......i did get a nice 176 ice clear opto that is good and stable though :)

The only unique discraft discs ive seen have been in the FLX plastics. I have 2 buzzes that are "unique." One is 90%black with blue/white swirls in it and the other is 90% blue with white swirls in it. I'd love to see them run them in Z plastics...

Jeronimo said:
if I was in charge at a disc molding company i'd be mixing dyes all the time.

not many molders are "allowed" to mix. most of the beauties i'm sure most of you are referring to discs like this
01_Star_Shark.jpg

these discs are usually produced by a few of the master molders when they toy around. other less pronounced versions (swirls, champstar, etc) are from color or plastic changes.

^^^I've got a Star TL (got in trade on DGR) just like that, when I reach for it in my bag, I'm always looking for my white Star TL, only to have to remind myself, oh yeah it's pink on the edges, mindtrip on myself :lol:

I am not sure I have seen major unique discs like from innova. However when I buy a buzz I usually look for an opaque one in the group.Not sure that really counts but it is a disc out of the norm.

CHEERS - Koffee

They are nice to look at, but I'd rather buy the same disc in a stock color b/c it's cheaper, for the same thing.

I do not, however, like that they jack up the price on black discs. I will only get black challengers locally b/c they don't jack up the price of a stock disc just b/c of the color at PIAS.

I never understood the hype about black discs. but if you're in that much of a hurry to lose it, by all means go ahead!! :p

Here's a cool related thread, lots of pics

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10485&hilit=pics+of+your+swirly+discs