• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Help from experienced LHBH players

807to905

Hi guys thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully someone can help/shed some light for me!

Im a fairly new LHBH player (8 months) and im having trouble with left hand dog leg holes (trying to anhyzer or flick) anyone have tips or anything to help me with that? also could use some help on windy situations as well. i use innova discs so if you know of specific discs i should be using for these shots please add those as well.

Thanks a bunch and i look forward to your help!

It's not any different from a RHBH player playing a right hand dog leg. What kind of disc have you been using for these shots and with what kind of results? How far do you throw that disc on a straight shot? What other discs do you usually carry with you?

As far as what I use for that kind of shot, it depends on what kind of angle is being taken and how much room I have to work. I have a very weak flick, so I would rather rely on an anhyzer with a stable disc (something I know will come back to flat for me) or more of a flat release with a slightly understable disc and let it turn over for me.

For just a slight finish to the right for me (left for you) I usually throw either my fuse or my river with a little bit of hyzer. With enough spin, the turn on it will be delayed so that it will act as if it is finishing with the opposite fade as it should (to the right for me, left for you).

Further out to the right, I usually go with a higher anny route with something like a PD or in rare cases (depending on how much fade I want) a predator; something that I know will come out of a dive to the right enough to now roll. The tough part of this shot is keeping the nose down on the shot all the way through the apex (highest point). Otherwise the disc will stall out and fade left (right for you). It's definitely a shot that requires lots of practice.

If I need to get out to the right on a low ceiling, I will fall back on a flick with a stable disc (predator for me). Not much other choice without running the risk of a turn and burn.

As a left handed player, you are usually faced with the need to some weird flipping lines a lot more often than right handed players because of a right-handed bias from designers. So while both players need a solid anhyzer shot, it is much more important for lefties. Many of the easy birdies on a course need it.

As a lefty there are three types of left moving shots you really need to get good at, in my opinion. Most important is the hyzer-flip (or flat release). You're going to need a pretty understable disc for this shot. I'd recommend getting a DX gazelle (I see that you're fav disc is the champ) and beating it up to the point that it won't do anything but go left. Once you get it really beat, start learning how to throw it with some hyzer and let it turn out of it and go left. This shot will save you some strokes.

The 2nd shot is a forced anny with something a little more stable. This usually will require a little more height. The way I'd recommend learning this shot is to pick an angle that you want the disc to come out of your hand on and release the disc on that angle. The follow through is really important here. You arm should be moving towards the ground so that you maintain the plane you want the disc to fly on. Ideally, the disc will stable out a little bit, but continue falling left as it comes out of the hard anyhyzer angle.

You also really need a solid flick out to about 250-280 with something like a predator. If you play wooded courses, you're going to come across holes that don't have the height or room for a turnover shot or won't be long enough to get the desired amount of turn. If you can throw a nice controlled flick for the easy birdie holes, it is going to save you a lot of strokes. If nothing else, it is going to cut down on the number of bogies on easy holes.

curt said:
As a left handed player, you are usually faced with the need to some weird flipping lines a lot more often than right handed players because of a right-handed bias from designers. So while both players need a solid anhyzer shot, it is much more important for lefties. Many of the easy birdies on a course need it.

The courses around me are the opposite. The easy right handed birdies are almost just as easy for the lefties, but the easy left handed birdies are much tougher for right handed players. :p

Thanks for all the replies and great advice! Looks like I have some major practice to do, I've been working on the anhyzer just not sure if my form is wrong or if I'm using the wrong disc, I'll see if a friend can take a vid and I'll put it up for review.

Thanks again for all the help!

The main reason for a flick over an anhyzer is that a flick will get a nice, smooth, normal skip whereas an anhyzer could bite and become some variety of roller on landing. There's a little less risk in the flick.

Star Shark said:
The main reason for a flick over an anhyzer is that a flick will get a nice, smooth, normal skip whereas an anhyzer could bite and become some variety of roller on landing. There's a little less risk in the flick.

yea i have noticed that with a flick (my flick anyways) as well, the one hole that concerns me is that its about 20' wide with bush on the left and the path and other fairways into a small valley on the right that are OB and since im new to flick i would usually end up 20' out then it would just roll down to the bottom of the valley lol, ill be practicing anny's and flicks hard this week since i have a bday tourney this sat.

I am a LHBH player too. Curt gave some excellent advice on some shots that you need to master, I am trying to work on those too. I find my bag has plenty of understable stuff, only 1 or 2 stable drivers = result of being LHBH.

Slightly off topic, just need to rant a little:
I also find that a lot of courses have a RHBH bias, not because the dont care when they design it, but because it is just not something people think about unless they are professional course designers. Two holes on my home course are made for a RHBH flex shot, i.e. a right turn followed by a long straight fairway. It is impossible at my current level to get to the basket, but for RHBH players it is very simple. Sure, I try to flick these holes, but there arent any holes that have the same demand on RHBH players.
What I eventually did was take a photograph from every tee and then mirror it in paint. I then posted all 18 mirrored tees on the forum for our club, and finally people seemed to understand my frustration, and any new holes are going to be more balanced.

I can't comment on that course in general, but I find that those right handed flex shots to be some of the most challenging and fun holes on a course (as long as there's only one or two). It is possible to make that shot, but it is very difficult. If you can't pull off the flick, you need the most understable disc you can find, release it with so much hyzer that it start moving right and then comes out of it and falls off left. This shot is really difficult, but a lot of un when you learn it.

Yeah, I have seen pros do those shots, and for a while i used a really beat up XD for learning to hyzerflip. Getting enough spin on it so it doesnt flip over immediately (thus negating the right turning at first) is hard, and the margin of error is really small. I also have a super beat cheetah for the longer hyzerflips, but it rarely works. I think it is really hard to get enough right turn at the start of the shot. Holes that are built for a RHBH flex shot usually start curving right immediately and trying to use a hyzerflip it usually requires going as close as possible to the inside edge of the curve, which again leads to plenty of tree-hits..

Flicking is working OK with my drivers (still some OAT though) but doing a gentle flick for a 200ft straight downhill corridor and then fade about 30 feet left is hard.. The finesse shots are super hard with forehand, I think.

I wouldn't call myself very experienced but out of necessity when I first started two months ago I learned how to throw a sidearm S curve with my Champion Beast and it has become my go to shot. I keep experimenting with other discs but when I get in a tight spot I go to the shot I have the most confidence with. I only max it out at 270-300 and I can throw a backhand Nuke a bit farther but I depend on that controllable S flick for the tight shots. I have also learned to hyzer it for a couple of tight shorter holes on my home course that need that shot.

After reading so much today I realize that I am overthrowing my BH and can't wait to work on technique to make that a go to shot also. Even as a newbie I realize that you have to have both FH and BH to have the most fun.

I am enjoying the heck out of this site, thanks to all you guys for your sincere input.

I'm a new lefty myself, but have found those holes are easier for me to throw with an Avenger. I don't throw it very well, but it goes left better than my other drivers.